I'm thinking of getting a DSLR camera and thinking about the D7000 or the D300S from Nikon. Seems really difficult to choose between those two though.

The 7000 is newer and seems it actually beats the D300 in some respects, but not all.

Any words of wisdom from anyone here which might be better? It will generally be for scenery landscapes and that kind of usage.

Thanks.

Hi LiquidX

I have the D300, the one before the D300S but basically the same.

I like it but I actually wish they would hurry up with the D400 as I want to get a new toy. wink

Looks like it might be close to another year before that is out there though.

I have heard fine things about D7000 and it sounds like a really nice camera. I haven't done much more than read a few main reviews and the like as I'm not buying now, but if I were buying now I might well choose the D7000 over the D300S.

I would say they are both fine cameras. Get some good lenses too! My personal recommendations

- 18-200 zoom

- 12-24 wide angle

Good luck!

You can go full frame for under 200,000 now, brand spanking new. Canon 5D etc. Much better than a DX camera. Go to any shop and compare them with the same lens on. Especially an ultrawide.

Thanks muikabochi.

You take totally awesome photos, so I'll be happy to listen to what you say!

100,000 yen itself is a bit of a push for me, but I think I'm willing to go up to that much. Certainly not double that, without any lenses! It's really between the two I mentioned I think and there's lots of reviews and opinions pulling for both it seems!

friend

But your recommended wide lens is 110,000 for the equivalent of what? 18mm on full frame. You could get the same wide coverage with a much cheaper lens on an ff Canon with less noise. An immaculate s/h new model one is 150,000. Half that for the old model, again probably in very very good condition.

Originally Posted By: Ken Rockwell

The Canon 5D Mark II is the world standard for landscape and nature photography. This is because it gives images as good as the $8,000 Nikon D3X, and superior to everything else from Nikon, for one-third the cost with a lot less weight.

You only need as much resolution as the 5D Mark II (or D3X) if you need to make the sharpest mural-sized prints possible of things that hold still. Few people do. If you do, then the Canon 5D Mark II costs and weighs only a fraction of the Nikon D3X.

Canon's 5D Mark II replaces the old 5D, which was introduced in 2005. The old 5D was also the king of landscape and nature photography, and to be honest, if you can find a deal on an old 5D, it's a bigger pain to use with a dreadful LCD, but also gives spectacular results.

Just putting the idea out there, that's all. For scenery, wide is good!

Nikon-DX-vs-FX.jpg

But I already own my recommended lens.

And I don't reckon my photos are generally noisy.

So I'm happy.

I'm not in the market for buying something right at this moment. When I get to that stage, I will be reading up a lot for sure.

I was just answering LiquidX's question with what I know.

100,000 might seem a lot, but if you a buying a DSLR, think of it as an investment over time. I have a D60, an entry level DSLR, from 2 yrs back, and while it takes great photos, the frame size, and what I want to take a picture of, often don't match.

I would love the Nikon DS7000, because the autofocus has more points than the Canon D60 (39 vs 9) and have also found the natural light sightings are better on Nikon rather than Canon. But that's my opinion.

Question about these modern DSLRs.

Are they built to last?

You know like cameras of old some people still using really old ones.

Will people still be using D80's and the like in 20/30 years or will they have long conked out by then.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Are they built to last?
Will people still be using D80's and the like in 20/30 years or will they have long conked out by then.

The cameras are pretty rugged. Technology will do them in long before they physically die.
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Are they built to last?

A lot of folks have broke D70s because it uses a compact flash and the pins are very easy to bend or snap when you put the card in. My kids broke mine, but I eventually got the part from US and did it myself. The Nikon repair is more expensive than a working body second hand.

On the general durability issue though, I'd have no problems buying a second hand dslr. Electronics have their weaknesses, but so do moving parts like motors that wind film in a camera whose back is opened every thirty six shots or less. Some s/h d-slrs look very good value indeed. A D80 for under thirty thousand is a lot of camera for the money, as is the Canon full frame one for 75000 or so. Some of the cheaper bodies go for 35000 or so new, but they give you less. No AF motor, no bracketing, etc.