Myoko Suginohara (Niigata) - 2nd February 2011

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back when i was an ALT atr hamamatsu, it had just become one of japans largest cities. It achieved this incredible feat by including an area of about 60 kms north right up to the border with aichi and the yamas. In response and not to be outdone, shizuoka started bringing its little sattelites under the control of shizuoka city. And so it went on until just before i left when they started going broke from it. Of course it might still be going on for all i know, but that was the score up until i left. Basically both were fighting over who was the biggest city in shizuoka prefecture for absolutely no reason. It was yummy stuff! smile

muika,

Love the pics!! You'll note that we left Jan 31, after a week where it snowed EVERY BLASTED DAY!, so we set it up for you! Even left you some snow to slide on too. I didn't get any pics, because there was minimal visibility every day.

still, we had a great time, skiied every day, visited MyokoKogen a couple times, slid on 3 resorts in one day (Akakan, Akakura Onsen and Suginohara).

The trick is to get a "big 4" ticket, allows you to go to Onsen, Kanko, Ikenotaira as well as Suginohara. Not sure about the not getting on, there were no problems with getting to and fro between the two resorts.

Bought a ticket at Suginohara on the day we slid all 3, no dramas when we got back to Onsen and Kanko.

Hey, not complaining (much!) - we got at least a couple of hours of really nice sunny skiing, so couldn't be mucking about taking pictures, too busy sliding!!!

Originally Posted By: SKI
The bus is ok but it doesn't make Akakura Onsen and Akakura Kanko 'friends'.

Didn't need the bus to get between the two - a simple traverse link, yes there's a notice that says tickets for the other resort don't work here. BUT with the Big4 ticket, that's no drama.

I'm surprised they haven't sorted it out yet... up until 3 years ago we used to ski both resorts on one ticket without a problem. When I was there two years ago they started checking tickets and I heard rumors from other people that there was a problem between the resorts (although I never encountered one). I'm not sure about last year because I wasn't able to make it up there.

Can anyone confirm that Kanko and Onsen still haven't sorted out a joint ticket?

Originally Posted By: JA
The bus is ok but it doesn't make Akakura Onsen and Akakura Kanko 'friends'.

Didn't need the bus to get between the two

I can't recall ever suggesting that you needed to take a bus.
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I'm surprised they haven't sorted it out yet... up until 3 years ago we used to ski both resorts on one ticket without a problem. When I was there two years ago they started checking tickets and I heard rumors from other people that there was a problem between the resorts (although I never encountered one). I'm not sure about last year because I wasn't able to make it up there.

Can anyone confirm that Kanko and Onsen still haven't sorted out a joint ticket?

There is a ticket as JA said that lets you on all 4 resorts now.

But still, they have their individual tickets and if you just ask for a 1 day that is what you'll get by default.

They fight rather than co-operate, by default.

Thanks Ski,

I visited the Kanko and Onsen websites to get a better idea of the situation. It seems that they actually have a joint ticket now called the Myoko Kogen Akakura Snow Area ticket for 4800Â¥ that allows you to ride both Kanko and Onsen together.

The Mt. Myoko ticket (4500Â¥) apparently doesn't work at Akakura Onsen. I was also told the same thing two years ago. The ticket is for Suginohara, Ikenotaira, Akakura Kanko. Onsen also seems to be left off of the season passes.

There is also something new this year called the Myoko Mega Mount ticket. It covers 8 resorts Suginohara, Onsen, Kanko, Ikenotaira, Ski Park, Kyukamura Myoko, Madarao Kogen and Tangram Ski Circus. It's insanely cheap during the week at 7,000 for accommodation, lift pass and 2 meal tickets (or 8,800Â¥ for accommodation, 2 lift passes and 2 meal tickets). Weekends you pay an extra 2000Â¥

The only mention of "The Big 4" on any of the websites is for a season's pass that cover four areas for 60,000Â¥

Well, at least Onsen and Kanko have worked something out with a joint ticket.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Thanks Ski,

I visited the Kanko and Onsen websites to get a better idea of the situation. It seems that they actually have a joint ticket now called the Myoko Kogen Akakura Snow Area ticket for 4800Â¥ that allows you to ride both Kanko and Onsen together.

The Mt. Myoko ticket (4500Â¥) apparently doesn't work at Akakura Onsen. I was also told the same thing two years ago. The ticket is for Suginohara, Ikenotaira, Akakura Kanko. Onsen also seems to be left off of the season passes.

There is also something new this year called the Myoko Mega Mount ticket. It covers 8 resorts Suginohara, Onsen, Kanko, Ikenotaira, Ski Park, Kyukamura Myoko, Madarao Kogen and Tangram Ski Circus. It's insanely cheap during the week at 7,000 for accommodation, lift pass and 2 meal tickets (or 8,800Â¥ for accommodation, 2 lift passes and 2 meal tickets). Weekends you pay an extra 2000Â¥

The only mention of "The Big 4" on any of the websites is for a season's pass that cover four areas for 60,000Â¥

Well, at least Onsen and Kanko have worked something out with a joint ticket.

I was just looking myself and learned more, not as simple as I posted earlier sorry.

It's really not very clear at all is it.

I wonder why Onsen are not on that Mt Myoko ticket.

I wonder why Onsen are not on that Mt Myoko ticket.

Right?! I remember when I was talking to the staff at Akakura Kanko two years ago I can't believe what she was telling me. I had her repeat to me several times... and even write it down because I thought for some reason I suddenly couldn't understand Japanese! Having things that confusing can't be good for business.