A while back, I remember there was an interest thread on waxing and tuning skis and boards. I remember that in Japan wax, and waxing and tuning equipment was easily available in shops at resorts and sports shops in towns. However, when I was in Europe, I visited a small number of sports shops in Geneva and a large number (about 20) at many resorts in the Three Valleys in France. However, none of them sold any wax or waxing equipment. I did have my skis tuned for 16 Euros, which I thought was reasonable but I would have liked to have bought a waxing kit or something like that to bring home. However, none was to be found. I wonder why!

I think its part of the whole consumer attitude here in japan...

If you buy a new pair of brand x skiis, you gotta get the brand x boots, and dont forget that your old ski wear wont work as well with your new brand x package, so you gotta buy a new brand y jacket, pants and glove...and to ensure that your brand x skiis stay in top shape sitting in your closet most of the season, you need to get your tuning kit...directions on the back...

in the states, if you want tuning gear, you really gotta go to a hardcore shop...or order online...your avg. shop on the slopes don't have that stufff either...

danz

it does appear in japan that you can buy the brush that is designed to clean the scrapper that is intended to hone the special screwdriver that is used to tighten the screws on the ion humidifying airblower which when applied to the base of your ski whilst wearing the appropriate antistatic glove could give you and extra edge on the snow.

Obviously a bit extreme, but gee it is easy to get sucked into the gadget trap in Japan.

Maybe you can get tuning stuff here because it costs so much to pay someone to do it and it takes sooo long.

eg. I wanted just my edges sharpened. They said they couldnt do it, only a whole tune up for about 6000 yen. I moaned and harrassed them and they eventually said they could do it for 3000. I was like ok (really wanted it done and didnt know how to do it myself) they said it would take 10 days!!! I asked which day so I could bring them in and they couldnt tell me. So I took my skis and bought a file and edge guide, logged onto the net and worked it out. The file etc cost less than 3000 and I can do it anytime I want.

But in NZ they say "we tune on Wednesday nights" so you can ski when ever and take your planks in on Wed and pick them up thurs morning. Its cheap and reasonable.

Wow, 6000 yen! That IS expensive compared what I paid in France where I thought everything was so expensive. And there, they just said bring them in any day before 5 pm and you get them back the first thing the next morning, edging and waxing. Pretty reasonable deal I thought.

I don't mind having it done, but here in Hong Kong, I don't have that option.

i don`t think 6g`s is expensive for a tune and wax. ya board/skis is/r arguably tha most important piece of equipment, so ya wanna have it in as good a condition as possible.

i hang out at me local board store a fair bit and i see tha work that goes into tuning and waxing, and for 6 large you`re gettin you`re monies worth.

i guess it all depends on how serious ya take yar sport/hobby. if yar like most, and ya wanna improve each time ya hit tha slopes, then it`s important to get tha most outa ya gear. most folks pay top dollar for tha goods, and most folks earn pretty good moola, so why not spend the extra and know that you`re gonna do ya best.

just a thought...

no way man....6000yen is way over-priced for a tune-up...way over priced...

I spent 5 yrs tuning my own gear and I know what goes into it...most shops don't even do a great job...they have machines do most of it...some shops here don't even know what a bevel is if you ask for one...

for just a wax and edge sharpening, I think 2000 yen is reasonable...if we are talking serious base work, stone grind, etc...then 3000-4000...I don't know what they are doing for 6grand...and whatever it is shouldn't take 10 days!

danz

My local surf & snowboard shop tunes/waxes my burton custom for free cause I bought it from them. I could take it in every week if I wanted but don't have the time to drive there after work during rush hour...

They charge 2000 yen for waxing otherwise...

I didn't ask if I was special, but since they do it for my buds too, I assume I'm not. I don't know if the policy extends the life of the board or only this season but either way, its been a good deal for me.

Hmmmm.... I hot wax my planks every time I go out. It only takes 10minutes on my work bench, just enough time to down a can of beer. Then at the partking lot, I'd scrape the wax off, brush, wipe. Ready to go. No need to spend that much money. Most of my friends do this in a veranda, living room, even out on a street.

I usually use convini bag to collect them scrapings. Just prop the borad with the bag at the bottom and try to shoot them into a bag. Of course having to do it in a windy parking lot is a bit tough, but once you get a hang of it, it ain't too difficult.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
When i get my board waxed/tuned i just wait in the shop for it to done. No point coming back unless you have to.
Sorry to say it Drew but if you are waiting in the shop for your waxing - and if they are giving your board back to you already scraped and brushed out - then you have just wasted your money....

If they are scraping the hot wax off your board without leaving it on for at least an hour or two to cool and adhere, then all they are doing is cleaning your base and not leaving much wax behind...

Certainly it's better than nothing - but not by much because you are removing most of the old wax with a hot scrape which will expose the bases quicker to dirt etc..,

I am certainly not an expert but that is what Toko, Holmenkol, Dominator and Swix wax companies all say.

G'Day Fred,

When i take my board to get waxed/tuned i take it to Sam's brother's shop. I normally spend at least an hour (if not several - time flies when your looking at boards and watching snowboard vids! \:D ) up there anyway just chatting to him and what not. Plus i don't pay for it. When i get it fully tuned then i leave it with him.

Cheers

\:D