Hi Guys,

I have been reading a bunch of very helpful reviews on different resorts still no conclusion on which I should visit??

I was wondering if some passionate enthusiasts could leave me with 2, maybe no more than 3 options.. It would be much appreciated. Considering going this Feb for bout two weeks, also tossing up if I should even go Utah in the states..?

I have been to Niseko before and loved it! Tree runs, with amazing deep dry powder, night riding with the mountain practically to myself!! I'm considering just going back there. I board and am no hero, just love riding, usually hit up NZ and take advantage of the cheap heliskiing there. Had been recommended to go Hakuba but I'm undecided??

Look forward to your reply's

Cheers!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd try somewhere I haven't already been.

But seriously there's so many to choose from, I think you just need to do some reading and make use of the Search up top.

wink

Check out the main places - a good starter is where those daily reports are done for on here (big red daily reports button up top).

Originally Posted By: VeryNice
Hi Guys,

I have been reading a bunch of very helpful reviews on different resorts still no conclusion on which I should visit??

I was wondering if some passionate enthusiasts could leave me with 2, maybe no more than 3 options.. It would be much appreciated. Considering going this Feb for bout two weeks, also tossing up if I should even go Utah in the states..?

I have been to Niseko before and loved it! Tree runs, with amazing deep dry powder, night riding with the mountain practically to myself!! I'm considering just going back there. I board and am no hero, just love riding, usually hit up NZ and take advantage of the cheap heliskiing there. Had been recommended to go Hakuba but I'm undecided??

Look forward to your reply's

Cheers!!
I normally steer clear of recommending destinations but at the moment, I myself would choose America after what I saw in the Travelplan brochure yesterday. The US$ is down, United's plane fares are nearly $1000 cheaper than Q.

And the flights to the US do not have the horrible new baggage restrictions imposed by both Cathay and QANTAS.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I would recommend not posting giant links that mess up page layout! biggrin

My sincere apologies - as a newbie to this forum, I didn't know. :(

I'm very sorry - I didn't realise that would happen. That website did recommend a 2 bedroom ski lodge at US$220 per night at Brekinridge, so when you divide that by 4, it comes to $55 each per night. UNBELIEVABLE
But if anyone is interested, I can provide the link via PM or e-mail.

Here's the thing, I've never seen a snow website with so much information and and Japan has so many good choices. As good as that is, it's also very bad, in the sense that there is no real clear answer as to which area could be singled out as the winner. they're all winners but which would be place to go if you would 'hypothetically' not be able to go back again..

I am thinking Hakuba, in particular Hakuba Goryu but still not 100%. I'm considering this area as I presume from some of the reviews I read it wont be as busy as Happo-One, not busy is on the check list, night riding is on the check list, tree runs, great powder and alternate close by resorts are on the check list. apparently the Hakuba 47 joins this resort. I'm not to sure how far the others are and how easy they are to get to.

I loved Niseko!! I know there is only one Niseko and woudl love to head back there sometime again but would like to go somewhere different also, I just want to make sure I'm not disappointed by finding out the hard way. I know I cant control the weather but I'd like to make sure I'm heading to the right place.

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: Valve Bounce
My sincere apologies - as a newbie to this forum, I didn't know.

Hi Valve Bounce and welcome.

I'm sure you read the Guidelines in great detail when you signed up Valve Bounce... wink

Actually what you posted was a link to an online email account by the looks of it, so even if it were to show up (not without as password), doing that is highly not-recommended!

Thanks!
friend
  • SnowJapan Admin
Here's the thing, I've never seen a snow website with so much information and and Japan has so many good choices. As good as that is, it's also very bad, in the sense that there is no real clear answer as to which area could be singled out as the winner.

Hi there VeryNice and thanks for the comments.

It's a good problem to have though isn't it - so many great places.
clap
And it's not really our job to tell you where we think the 'winners' are or where to go either. We'd get into some trouble if we did! wink

We're actually planning something that will hopefully help out in that respect. Not due anytime really soon, but thought I would just mention it.

Have fun wherever you go.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Is that place good then? How does it compare to nisko, hakuba or shiga kogen?

I've not been to Japan yet, but am booked into Niseko Feb28 to Mar 9. I understand that Niseko is famous for its champagne powder.

I've been to Vail in Colorado but not Brekinridge. Ski-ing was great at Vail. However, I just checked out the trail map at Brekinridge and it looks impressive. You're ski-ing at a much higher altitude there of over 3000 metres, so that pretty impressive, and they also have great powder in Colorado.

VB/VN, as the resident debunker here I'll point out that while Colorado has great snow, with the exception of a few areas (not including either Vail or Breckinridge) it doesn't get the huge dumps of powder that can be found at Nisko in Jan/Feb.

What it does offer is pretty consistent fresh, light snow and, depending on where you go, more expansive and interesting mountains.

If you're looking for deep powder in mid-February and don't need ``fall and you die'' terrain, Niseko is one of your best choices (and you won't have to pose naked and give free feels to the security pervs). In a two-week stay you could take in Rusutsu & Kiroro as well, and I doubt you'd be disappointed or bored.

On the other hand, the US$ is cheap as sin right now, and there are places in N.America that match Niseko for snow and beat it in the kind of terrain that doesn't require superhuman abilities. (But...you won't find decent ramen, yakitori or -- most particularly, Sapporo Classic!)

Maybe you could take a look at what kind of skiing/riding you want to do.

I'm after a bit of variety, since my partner likes groomers and I like hitting the park or getting off piste. For my next trip I'll probably hit Shiga Kogen or Hakuba.

There's probably nothing wrong with going back to Niseko, I was there about a month ago and it was awesome.

Originally Posted By: SJ-David
My sincere apologies - as a newbie to this forum, I didn't know.

Hi Valve Bounce and welcome.

I'm sure you read the Guidelines in great detail when you signed up Valve Bounce... wink

Actually what you posted was a link to an online email account by the looks of it, so even if it were to show up (not without as password), doing that is highly not-recommended!

Thanks!
friend

Thanks Buddy! My bad.

I was thinking if I went to the US, I'd go Utah coz there are a few resorts there all quite close within 5k's pretty much and Utah looks like it's got more snow atm. Everyone carries on about Utah and Niseko for powder. I guess I should try if I go Japan go to Hakuba as I've been Niseko, I will leave booking flights n all till a few days out before I go when the weather is looking good. I hope Hakuba is not a let down over Niseko.. Hmm?

I was thinking also, maybe go Utah first for a week then fly to Hakuba for a week then back home from there. I'd have to work out the flights and so on, if it's not too much cost wise it might be the best of both worlds!! If not, got to make a hard decision...

I was thinking if I went to the US, I'd go Utah coz there are a few resorts there all quite close within 5k's pretty much and Utah looks like it's got more snow atm. Everyone carries on about Utah and Niseko for powder. I guess I should try if I go Japan go to Hakuba as I've been Niseko, I will leave booking flights n all till a few days out before I go when the weather is looking good. I hope Hakuba is not a let down over Niseko.. Hmm?

I was thinking also, maybe go Utah first for a week then fly to Hakuba for a week then back home from there. I'd have to work out the flights and so on, if it's not too much cost wise it might be the best of both worlds!! If not, got to make a hard decision...

Better check you baggage allowances if you are going to return via Japan, especially if you fly Cathay or Qantas for that leg.

Although I don't live in Hakuba, all the times I have been there, it hasn't let me down for good conditions.

Everywhere, has the possibility to be great or let you down, but that's what you get when you rely on Mother Nature.

Although I don't live in Hakuba, all the times I have been there, it hasn't let me down for good conditions.
Everywhere, has the possibility to be great or let you down, but that's what you get when you rely on Mother Nature.

It is my understanding that Japan is much more reliable than Europe and even Whistler in Canada. So far, I've had the misfortune of 2 ski holidays in Europe and one at Whistler ruined by lack of snow.

Hakuba

Is a good place to go to and its close than the US.

And it would be cheaper and it is dumping down at the moment.

No brainer for me.

(And if you are a criminal they won't let you into the US)

Seemore

Check out Utah smile really awesome place and super good snow.

If you go to the US check out Steamboat in Colorado but Im biased and used to live there. Yeah any MINOR conviction in Aus might trip you up entering the US, not suggesting in any way that's you but maybe one of your mates etc. No bullet train in US either, just lots of guns and bullets smile

Me, I love Hakuba but haven't been to Niseko so cant offer a comparison.

It is my understanding that Japan is much more reliable than Europe and even Whistler in Canada. So far, I've had the misfortune of 2 ski holidays in Europe and one at Whistler ruined by lack of snow.

Japan also lets us down from time to time, all you have to do is look at the weather reports from previous years to check.