Clicking takes so much effort, so here is what it says:

One of Mount Kirishima's many volcanoes erupted on Thursday, spewing volcanic ash and rocks across a wide area of southern Japan, affecting the prefectures of Miyazaki and Kagoshima.

Authorities were forced to raise alert levels and call for an evacuation of all residents within a 1.2 mile radius of the crater.

The Shinmoe peak caldera spewed hot ash and rocks throughout the night as high as 6,500 feet into the sky, forcing some families living close to the foot of the mountain to evacuate.

By morning, residents as far as four miles away said their windows had trembled and they were kept awake by the loud rumbling sound.

[Elementary School Student]:

“I couldn't really sleep because the doors were rattling and shaking.â€

In Miyazaki prefecture's Nichinan City, the fine ash had cast a dark pall across the city forcing residents and children heading to school to wear protective masks. The ash fell thick on roads, which cars then churned up into a fine ash fog.

[Elementary School Student]:

"I couldn't see the zebra street crossing, so we didn't know where to cross.â€

Another resident said he even found his car's rear window broken by projectile rocks from the mountain.

[Resident]:

"It came like a sudden downpour of rain. It collapsed the window of my car just as I opened the door to take refuge.â€

Many railway lines and highway roads have been closed in the vicinity of the volcano.

At least four domestic flights from Tokyo to Miyazaki have been cancelled.

Local volcanologists expect more activity in the next few days, even if no major eruptions are expected any time soon.

Actually, it is!

Quote:
Eagle-eyed James Bond buffs may recognize Mount Shinmoe as the site of the villainous massive underground rocket launch site in the 1967 movie, “You Only Live Twice.†But in its recent smoke-belching appearances on television screens, the volcano has taken on a fresh, real-life menace that not even 007 himself could thwart.

First off, unlike in the film, this volcano isn’t extinct – it can seriously blow its top. And so Mount Shinmoe, in the Kirishima mountain range between Miyazaki and Kagoshima prefectures in Japan’s southernmost main island Kyushu, erupted big-style Jan. 27 afternoon after it began small-scale activity the previous day. According to the Fukuoka District Meteorological Observatory and Kagoshima Local Meteorological Observatory, in charge of investigating the volcano’s activities, this is the first time in 52 years the volcano has erupted on an explosive scale. Smoke from the volcano rose to 3,000m on Thursday evening, though it has fallen since then, marking a maximum height of 1,000m between 3 a.m. and 9 a.m. Friday, according to a representative at the Japan Meteorological Agency.

volcano_DV_20110128041216.jpg