Gala Yuzawa new stuff - downhill course & re-opened South Area

(Updated with text and photos)

This season Gala Yuzawa has opened a brand new downhill course. Until now, people had to take the Gondola down at the end of the day - and this was causing problems on days when winds were blowing... sometimes meaning the resort had to actually be closed for many days each season. Hopefully that is in the past now though as people can ski down.

The new course starts at the top of the Chariot pair lift in the North Area of the resort. From there it's basically a 2.5km cruiser of a course down to the Gondola/Shinkansen station of the resort. Not challenging really but it was fairly fun - and some fine views of Yuzawa and Minamiuonuma on the way down too.

The new downhill course

muikabochi_2640.JPG

muikabochi_2639.JPG

muikabochi_2638.JPG

muikabochi_2637.JPG

muikabochi_2636.JPG

muikabochi_2635.JPG

muikabochi_2634.JPG

muikabochi_2633.JPG

muikabochi_2632.JPG

The re-opened South Area

The South Area of Gala has re-opened as well this season, after a number of years closed. The quad lift has been replaced by a fairly fast pair lift but the courses seem to be the same - turn left and you have ungroomed runs and yesterday the snow was awesome, it was deep and fluffy. For some reason, you couldn't get to the South Area via the very top lift of the resort.... I don't know if that is just because of the snowfall of the last week and if they plan to open it later (I hope so).

Anyway, here's some photos from the South Area

muikabochi_2650.JPG

muikabochi_2649.JPG

muikabochi_2648.JPG

muikabochi_2647.JPG

muikabochi_2646.JPG

muikabochi_2645.JPG

muikabochi_2644.JPG

muikabochi_2643.JPG

muikabochi_2642.JPG

muikabochi_2641.JPG

• Like 1

looks like you had a great day for it as well, the views coming down were pretty cool. When I was there it was cloudy and snowing and you couldn't see shit (not that I took the downhill course, I was too knacked and pussied out with the gondola)

Yes, I think that's what it is called.

And coming back there's a 50m or so flat bit. Not perfect.

Previously you could get to the south area from the very top pair lift of the resort. That was a cool run in itself.

Yeah, both connections were closed when I was there last week....which was a shame as the ungroomed bit must have been mental!! Mind you the top of the central area was ungroomed with the amount of snow falling and the lack of riders

It was. I put the camera away and had a few hours playing around there, it was GOOD. Highly recommended. Not sure how that will be on a busy weekend but on a weekday after a dump of snow... very fine.

Posted photos here:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/396353/Gala_Yuzawa_Yuzawa_Niigata_14t.html

• 11 months later...

Damn, when will they stop that crap music.

hahahaha! no shit! :)

South run looks fun, but that picture with the spread out trees and all those little pillows has me gagging to run it. Pity theres no tracks in it, i assume its just a piccie and not really a place you could hit without a bit of hiking (back up)?

Im off in the general vicinity tomorrow. I'll try and skip the shenanigans though and head to either kagura, maiko, or naeba (depending on where everyone else isnt hopefully heading :)) Maybe ill get lucky... Great pics as ever though, and a cute little run. Looks like if you run it a couple of times you can score a few lines between the loops :)

It is good over there.

And lots of people seem to simply 'miss it'.

It's not the most obvious of links, especially if the top course over to the South Area is closed.

Ages ago I went when it was crazy busy, but last season I went twice in fantastic conditions and it was empty. Mid-week of course.

Muika, we'll definitely have to hook-up for one of these mid-week outings in Feb/March. As my Furano plans have been bombed, I'll be staying in Kanagawa for the winter and heading up to the slopes as and when! :friend: