Japan ski resorts/resort towns that are worth visiting Japan for....

Originally Posted By: thursday
c'mon shakey moved there?

Well they do have a green door!

Hakuba's restaurants are all over the place. Hakuba has no town center and most folks who eat out have cars anyway.

that is exactly what I mean about restaurants. A concentration of them along one street would make it a town centre. If they're spread out, then it aint a centre.

People who fly into a country to have a holiday will not have cars. I don't, so a concentration of places to eat and drink and buy stuff would be a nice thing to have.

We walked up and down the street and only saw one place that looked appetizing.

To be fair, happo seemed to have more options, but we certainly didn't have a car, and being full of bronchitis we didn't attempt to use the night shuttles.

Driving in japan looks a bit overwhelming, so we decided to not even bother. Most places we've been we've found a high concentration of good eateries. Dotomburi in Osaka was fantastic, and Noz has over 20 places in town, and more on the field.

The point of this thread was to discuss ski resorts which are worth visiting from overseas. Most first time visitors want culture, an experience, good food, they don't want to drive, or to walk far, and if they're on this forum they want to board or ski. I simply think that hakuba doesn't provide all of those things, on the other hand I think nozawa onsen does.

Off to see snow monkeys, bai.

Quote:
Oh Minty, I think you missed one of the great aspects of Hakuba

That 'great' aspect will also be missed by many people due to it's very nature, no matter how much people mention it. Just not convenient.

Quote:
here's 600 resorts & they are all different, just spin the wheel & choose one.

Let's just hope you don't end up with one of the 300+ 'one three hundred meter lift' local "resorts". I sure wouldn't want to visit Japan just for one of them!

Minty dont all ways go by look's when we where there 2 years ago we went to one place that just looked like a house it was great went back there again even though we have a rule to try adifferent place each night and we take it in turns chosing.My son's have already asked about going there this trip How did you like Osaka we cant wait till we go started checking the gear today highfive

Osaka was nice, dotomburi is great. The castle was pretty awesome - we didn't go inside as it was shut for new years, but I think it was better that way. There were new year celebrations happening everywhere we went in osaka and Kyoto. USJ is fun, but thanks to new year holidays we only got on 5 rides in 5 hours smile

Next time we'll probably do a day trip to Nara.

Have an awesome time - how long till you're here?

Out of interest Minty, did anyone tell you a 1000 yen taxi ride from Echoland would get you here?

billboard_02.jpg

Its called Shouya Maruhachi. For old time visitors, its the old Shinanojaya run by the same kami-san, but the building has tastefully renovated and the seats aren't kotatsus. The food's pretty good. The fish is fresh and the tempura's great. For people who don't know, its a genuine 1860s house, which is very spectacular from the outside too. It would be the first place I'd tell folks from overseas to go.

The night shuttle isn't perfect but the guys that got it set up put a lot of work into it and quite a few folks do use it. The last I heard the ridership wasn't far off paying for it.

We arrive on 12th feb have 2 days there then head to Hukuba.Jynnx gave me some good info on getting there by bus but I think we will have to train it up how did you guy's travel. cheers

To be honest, I would have thought everyone coming to Hakuba would know about the place above. People mustn't be getting very much orientation.

If you like old houses, there's a more original one open as a soba-ya on the main road about 10 minutes walk north of the Goryu crossing. That house is still thatched and is run by a friendly couple called the Tonegawas. Last I heard they are only open from lunch until 4pm though.