Japan ski resorts/resort towns that are worth visiting Japan for....

I post this after reading a comment in another thread suggesting that Yuzawa might not be a reason for people to come to ski in Japan.

OK, so let's list the places that you think are worth a visit. Not a day visit, but a visit from overseas for the purpose of skiing....

Some obvious ones to start off with:

- Niseko

- Hakuba

Yuzawa is certainly a choice. It's easy to get to, the area usually get tons of snow, and there is a really big choice of skijo all within easy reach of the main station/IC.

Places like Zao etc are all well and good and major attractions, but harder to get to and not a huge amount of other stuff nearby.

I could spend a week anywhere as long as you get fresh snow/tracks and there is more than one restaurant.

And an onsen and kwikiemart(seiko or 7/11).

That is all you need

Seemore

Although my trip didn't work out as well as planned this year..

Base yourself in Asahikawa and hit all the spots in and around the city. Furano, Kamui, Pippu, Asahidake, Kurodake and Santa Present Park for an easy access nighta or two.

Yeah, if you move around a bit, the list gets much longer. Its only the one week in the same place that is a problem. Japan's not a big country and its pretty easy to get around.

I was thinking about this after my day trip up to Gala Yuzawa last week. Its a shame that Yuzawa gets overlooked as it is a fantastic area. It gets great snow, has a lot of different resorts that cater to all levels and is a year round town and so has year round amenities and also has a combination of that "Japanese experience" that some look for in a trip here and of course a snow resort. Its very easy to get to from Tokyo and is a famous onsen town as well. When I go I only usually do day trips, rarely have I stayed over, I'd be interested in knowing how the hotel tourist numbers compare to the other more famous areas.

We're in nozawa after five nights in hakuba, we found hakuba a bit awkward - the shuttles are great if you can make sense of them, we didn't even bother with night shuttles as apparently you have to pre purchase tickets? We also found there was less reason to leave our lodge apart from skiing. There wasn't much variety for food, and it was all spread out.

But, the skiing was very good, although there were some icy runs and a lot of out of control skiers and boarders. A LOT. I'm a beginner but I work hard to maintain control, so these people annoy me, and I know someone whose arm was broken by one of these dicks.

Nozawa is brilliant on the other hand, we've been here for one night, and so far tried the Onsens (love them), spent the night hanging out at stay (great people) and done some sight seeing (the walk down the main street is stunning!) and had an amazing day skiing in knee deep powder - and we didn't even venture into anything deep. Basically despite the horrid flat spots (just harden up) we really enjoyed the relaxed skiing, but we managed to find some harder stuff too to push my skill level, and meanwhile the snow just keeps stacking up, there was a good 10cm of powder just while we ate lunch!

I think what people have to understand about Japan is that outside of Niseko Hirafu, there isn't really an apres scene....Hakuba's Echoland is probably the closest. At the other resorts I wouldn't be expecting a large choice of bustling bars and restaurants like western ski areas. the Japanese tend not to do much after their onsen except from have a few beers in their room and then sleep.

I know, but there are the adventurous Gaij out there who feel they've had their "Japan-intro" in Niseko and want to explore.....a little reminder just that the small step from Cloistered "mini-west-like-Niseko" into "regular Ski-jo Japan" can be one giant leap for Gaijinkind!!

Hakuba certainly is spread out and it can be difficult getting around, but I think there is plenty of variety when it comes to food. You need someone to show you round properly Minty!

My MiL is in Nozawa at the moment so say hello if you see her in the onsen. She'll be in there all day.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Hakuba certainly is spread out and it can be difficult getting around, but I think there is plenty of variety when it comes to food. You need someone to show you round properly Minty!

My MiL is in Nozawa at the moment so say hello if you see her in the onsen. She'll be in there all day.

Woah, she's a brave one then! They're awesome, but my max is about 15 min in the actual onsen

We did make it up to echo land once, but we only came across 10-15 restaurants, if that, and we saw less people than eateries. Noz wins. Add in the experience of being in a town which was founded in about 700AD :o

fwiw, I hardly ever go to Echoland, though I wouldn't mind trying the new chanko place and chatting with the former sumo pro that runs it. Our favourite places to eat are elsewhere, but I guess you could get pretty close to most of them on the night shuttle. Some of the guys are trying to get Echoland going again, so its disappointing to hear that places aren't getting so much custom.

We like Nozawa a lot too, though aside from the mad festival I'm not sure how historic most of it is. It is very Japanese though, and charming because of it. We usually stay there in an old oil merchants that was turned into a minshuku about ten years ago. The original house is about 120 years old. For the record, there is a lot of history around Hakuba and way way more than you might expect from just Echoland or Wadano, but you need a car and proper orientation or willing hosts prepared to show you where it is. Hakuba is on one of the few routes through the mountains, so people have been here for thousands of years.

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ

We did make it up to echo land once, but we only came across 10-15 restaurants, if that, and we saw less people than eateries. Noz wins. Add in the experience of being in a town which was founded in about 700AD :o

how many restaurants do you want?? confused

Yeah Uncle Stephens looked good but didn't make it.

I ate at the Double Black in Saka really good food and cheap only about $20 a meal and cheap wine.

The best meal I has was at Mimi's but expensive.

The BBQ at White Horse on New Years was pretty good too.

There are lots of good places to eat in Hakuba normally a short slippery walk away.

Seemore