Well I noticed the Water Polo coach whip one out at training and use it to pull up some video's of a game....

Not sure that is going to help me though.

I have a phone. It 'does' the internet and I can show off the kids photo's on it. Ohh...it also calls and texts (no not by itself).

I have a computer to manipulate my pics and video's and do most of the work type things.

I can see how it would be effective for a sales rep.

But can't see what benefit it would be for me...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate carrying bag's around.......I'd need to have it in a bag or other carrying recepticle.......not gonna get one. I have a laptop that doesn't move from my desk (should've bought a desktop doh ) and an ipod that doesn't leave the docking station speaker thingy. I don't like carrying things around with me

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Playing Angry Birds Halloween Edition.

Past form on this subject tells me that you have already made up your mind on these things Go Native. My recommendation to you -don't buy one.

friend

Dude - you don't bite. It's called trolling. Please, just ignore it.

Can you ask your company to order two please? wink

I have two reasons to buy some kind of pad/tab thingee:

1. entertainment (my own movies) on long flights & at hotels

2. e-mail & light web surfing when on trips

While the iPad would to some extent meet these needs, it doesn't have the connectivity I want and is bigger than I prefer. The Galaxy may do the trick, but not if the screen is seriously lower in quality than the Pad's.

Price is an issue to some extent; I doubt that I'll want to lock myself into a two-year contract with a provider.

Yes, I'm pretty damn picky grandpa

About your point 2 Jim.

Originally I thought I would be taking my ipad out a lot, but that hasn't happened.

It's just too nice!

The Tab, being a bit smaller, might also fit that particular job better, and it will be good to be able to use the docomo data plan without needing the other extra mifi thingy.

I am using my iPad for pretty much all my web browsing stuff at home.

Originally Posted By: RobBright

Dude - you don't bite. It's called trolling. Please, just ignore it.

I'm not trolling. I honestly don't quite understand what you can do on these things that say you couldn't do on a laptop (which I have). Is it just that they are a little smaller and lighter? Or is there more to it?

GN: smaller, lighter and at the price better screens with longer battery life -- or at least that's the hope in my case.

Granted I could probably make do with a netbook, but the screens and battery life aren't good enough.

GG: I'm really hoping that after the initial rush the Galaxy will become available separate from Docomo; think I could probably live with wifi only. Waiting to see a working model to judge the screen, because that could be a real deal-breaker. The non-working model I saw last week at Bic could easily slide into a coat pocket (I have coats with BIG pockets) which is what I want.

I find the ipad to be just such a pleasure to use for things like using the web. I never thought that about using a laptop when I either had to be "sitting down in computer position" or messing around with the big keyboard and mouse. This is just so much more natural, just touch the screen.

No Flash is annoying though.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I have a phone. It 'does' the internet

Does anyone REALLY enjoy using the internet on a phone?
I have 4 inch screen phone - bigger than the iphone screen - and while I certainly can browse sites etc, it's hardly comfortable or something I'd want to do for more than a very short time!
Originally Posted By: loaf of bread
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I have a phone. It 'does' the internet

Does anyone REALLY enjoy using the internet on a phone?
I have 4 inch screen phone - bigger than the iphone screen - and while I certainly can browse sites etc, it's hardly comfortable or something I'd want to do for more than a very short time!
True.
But having the lappy, the big screen apple thing AND the phone - I am at a loss as for what NEW thing the ipad or Gtab can give me.
I suppose if you were super techy, or spent a LOT of time wanting to browse the net away from home with a light weight thing then OK.
I thought about it for traveling, but I got a netbook for that and then realized that I prefer the large capacity and SD card slot etc of the heavier larger laptop. I like to download the video and photo's we take right there and then...

These things seem to be to just be a really easy, more relaxed way of doing things we can already do. Which will appeal to some people and not others. But with these apps and things, there's certainly a lot to them that people who haven't looked into them simply won't "get". A quick play around with one opens the eyes a fair bit.

Tab should be available on Friday.

For anyone who missed it, here's the results of my research last week.

------

OK I went to a docomo shop today.

First assistant told me that my current data plan could not be used on the Tab, and that when I changed plan I would then not be able to use my PC usb thingy or my wireless thingy. After some polite asking of questions - because I was pretty goddam sure she was wrong - I was passed on to another lady who told me that I COULD swap the card around between the dongles/whatever you call them.

The only thing that needs changing is the "plan". You would need to pay an extra 780 yen (?) for the "don't use it as a phone but it's a phone" plan. Which apparently is necessary. So on top of what I pay now, an extra 780 yen a month.

If I wanted a Tab and also able to use my wireless/pc dongle thingies all on the same Foma card.

Phew.

I had a go on my bro in law's one last night.

Screen is clear enogh, but the apps take time to load.

IT can make calls so think back to the days of the brick phones. Don't hold it up to your face, use a headset to make a call.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I had a go on my bro in law's one last night.

Screen is clear enogh, but the apps take time to load.

IT can make calls so think back to the days of the brick phones. Don't hold it up to your face, use a headset to make a call.

veryshocked
It's a phone too?
Can the iPad do that razz
Originally Posted By: thursday
don't need the ipad to do that. I4 does it. And no need to carry another piece around, just the I4 would do.

Is that a bit complicated?

no...so why get the ipad if the I4 will do...? razz