• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your legs will cry out after 20 mins if you don't get fit for your skiing.

Do loads of leg exercises. Walk up stairs, walk down stairs. Those thighs will make or break your holiday.

So too perhaps the stomach, so get plenty of exercise for that too.

Dumb bell lunges are really good. Bike too. I personally do dumb bell lunges, squats and leg presses as a pre-season exercise. I also think jogging is a really good idea but it's not for everyone. If you are a boarder it's a really good idea to do some core exercises as well.

Mountain biking in the off season has been my passion for a few years. Legs have never felt better on the snow. Also riding single track hard down hill really works the core.

I guess the best advice is find something you enjoy which is a workout, and it is easier to motivate yourself.

deffo playing a sport that you like is the best way. Play for fun first and the rest naturally follows, if you take part only to get fit its likely that you will give up quicker as you don't enjoy what you are doing.

Can´t help anyone who can´t help themselves.

razz wink

Ok, what about in your case, when your season starts, call the first week of continuous skiing pre-season training. You hall your ass and get back in it.

If you hurt yourself or get pissed off about your fitness then, you´ll probably do something about it.

I try and run 5km at least once every 2-3 days and then do lunges, stairs or squats with push ups and bridging or sit ups. Gotta be in condition to enjoy your time on the snow.

2-3 days sometime becomes a week though due to other time pressures.

Just bought some compression pants as well to help with recovery if needed smile

Originally Posted By: Tex
Just bought some compression pants as well to help with recovery if needed smile

What did you get? Skins? (assumption as Ozzie)

Lots of folks on TGR say positive things about skiing in CW-X. In the US, it looks like they make every model in the thermal material. Most of the ones in Japan are in Coolmax for runners. Japan sizes are pretty small/short too.

Compression gear is very common among runners. Even Paula Radcliffe uses compression socks.

As for fitness, I've been running 30-40km a week recently. I really enjoy it as its "me time" with my music away from my work and kids. Lots of nice places to run too. Around the lake is my favourite.

Good mountain biking round here too.

Once you are fit enough to jog for a few miles, I think its a good idea to turn up the intensity in your workouts. Try running close to your maximum speed for a minute, then jogging for a minute and alternate between the two. If you're cycling, try doing some hill climbs. Its possible to jog/cycle/swim or whatever all day, but if you're not doing it at a high enough intensity, it wont do a lot for your CV fitness.

+1 for the cycling tip.

I am a reluctant participant in fitness - means to an end.

If I am fit I can snowboard better, if I am not then hiking for the goods is not part of my trip naughty Can't have that!

I hit the treadmill and weights, and a bit of swimming last year - was good but not great. This year I am doing min. of 120km a week bike (and min 3 times a week 1hr swim, plus run/weights etc when I can). I can feel the power in my legs already - this is gonna be a FUN season!