• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eye Candy is a decent motivator is it not Bag?

Snowhuntress :( Sorry to hear you have shoulder drama's. I feel your pain! How did you hurt it?

Hee hee BM, Trampolines might be good for legs, but not so much for arms - #4 cub has broken his arm 3 times on ours, and a few weeks ago he broke IT. Yup, the trampoline (not the arm), it was pretty old and had deteriorated at the weld points on one ends legs - jump, jump, crash!

As a skiing specific exercise, running/cycling loads probably won't help much unless you are are trying to lose weight. I find doing lots of leg and core exercise helps, lots of exercises on bosu and swiss balls as well as general weight conditioning to help against injury, plus yoga for flexibility. If you cycle 40 miles a day, your legs will be great at that, but you use different muscles, in a different way, whilst you are skiing/boarding.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Building up the alcohol tolerance level is very important in the lead up to winter.

Very important for us who live the snow life. Putting in some gym time also but tonight it was all about the beer.
Originally Posted By: Jimmer
As a skiing specific exercise, running/cycling loads probably won't help much unless you are are trying to lose weight.

I have lost some weight, but I'm doing it for general cv fitness myself.
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
As a skiing specific exercise, running/cycling loads probably won't help much unless you are are trying to lose weight.

Mr Wiggles..if you lose any more weight, there will be nothing left of you wink

Ditto. The CV fitness that is, the weight seems determined to stick around.
I have serious snowboarders calves already - they do ease off in between trips, but a day or two on the hill and they are pumped up again. My core does need work though - there is some improvement just from all the swimming and cycling, but I am also having to specifically target it, much as I hate core work.

Not saying general cv fitness isn't worth working on, it just doesn't help your skiing/boarding much.
Not saying general cv fitness isn't worth working on, it just doesn't help your skiing/boarding much.

Not all that sure I would agree with that. confused

Obviously doing a heap of cycling isn't going to teach you technique, but if you have good technique and a fair number of hours on a board (can't talk about ski's coz I have never gone there), but the thing holding you back is your CV fitness, strength and/or excess weight then doing a heap of cycling in the lead up should most definitely improve your snow riding.

Better than doing nothing. Period,

I can relate horse riding, dirt bike riding, mountain biking to ski and snowboard muscle and joint use.

Even mental training. You don´t necessary have to physically do it.

You can do it in your mind and still get the training done - in a way re-defines what `physically doing it´ means, because you can physically tone your muscles while mentally doing `image training´.

So, from that point, all physical exercise´s direct benefit is CV.

Forget muscle bulk.

The reason I would say CV work doesn't help your skiing/boarding much is that you very rarely ski long enough to get out of breath, it's just not that much work. Obviously if you are finding yourself out of breath a lot, then yes, some work on your cv would be ideal. The stregth in your legs that you gain from cycling is good, but not very ski specific, you don't use your muscles in that way whilst skiing/boarding.

Re. Jynxx 'forget about muscle bulk' I was working out in the same gym as a lot of the ski teams this season in NZ and I can tell you that they are all stacked, and lift a lot of weights, even the girls. That's what's going to make your legs/core stronger and enable you to ski better, not having an insane Vo2 max.

Btw, I don't mean 'don't do cv exercise' because that would be ridiculous, but just maybe add in some more specific exercises if you want to have the best time whilst you are skiing/boarding.

On this note, I am going to the gym smile

Cool.

But that´s a different level. Also I can point out that ski racing is all about heavyweights. Look at Slalom. Hate those collapsing- flags, you can just go bang-bang with your weight. Ever seen down-hillers do much skiing? They used to just eat, drink and bonk and have a single run to see who comes down the fastest. Not much skill there...

If you are a competing, sure. Do it. But still, muscle bulk is just for show. It´s not wrestling.

Btw, a 5km run can make you pretty tired, especially when you are up high @3000m

Not arguing here, Jimmer. Recommend us what specific exercise for ski/boarding.

We are all ears if you have a good suggestion.

thumbsup wink cheers

Haha, yeah sorry if I sound argumentative, just trying to get my point across.

Like I said in my first post, the exercises I find best for skiing combine length strength and balance/core, for example in the gym just now I was doing jump squats onto a bosu, bicep curl/lunge onto the bosu, bridged calf curls (lie on the floor, feet on a swiss ball, keep your hips up, bend your leg), squats standing on a swiss ball, jackknifes and jackknife twists (toes on a swiss ball, bend your legs, keep your hips high, move knees to either side to twist), medicine ball twists (sit on floor, lean back, keep feet up, move ball from side to side), 3 sets (most sets 10-15, some 20-25)of all, with 15 mins of cv (rowing and x trainer)at the start and a good stretch at the end.

I have seen downhillers ski quite a lot actually, for example Bode Miller who has a rep for being a boozehound, seemed to be training an awful lot in NZ, and I would say there is a fair amount of skill in it!

I don't compete, but I do ski a lot, and it's my job, so I try to stay as fit as possible!

You´re all right, mate... no worries.

Looking into swiss ball. I don´t know how you manage to do squats standing on it, but I get your point about core exercise. If you don´t have a core, you don´t get balance.

I am very flexible, so this is just what I need.

Thank you. You got me on to something. smile thumbsup

I've been trying to mix it up as much as possible exercise wise. The gym is great, and I spend my far share of time there, but i'd always prefer to be outside. Stuff like bouldering and walking/ jogging up steep descents (eg the summit of a mountain that's steep but not steep enough for ropes) are great because not only are they exercising the slow twitch muscle fibers in your legs, but they also incorporate core exercise, explosive movements and plenty of cv. Running up sand dunes, skipping and anything requiring a bit of agility all do the same thing. think outside the box and you'll be laughing.

Ahh...

Yeah, I do rope skipping and it´s great for ski/board.

But actually, I had the latter on my mind. smile

It´s great! When I have flying dreams, I am always skipping to take off. After 40, in my dreams, I am now able to levitate on the spot without skipping. It´s optional.

But even in the physical reality, I still think I can take off when I skip.