I got some very distressing news last night that my mum had to be taken to hospital seems she had a stroke. It's still not that clear what the implications are, but I'm finding it hard to concentrate on anything other than this and don't really know how to cope. We are so close, though of course so far in distance, I can't bear being away while this is happening.

sadface

I'm really sorry to hear that Charlotte. Distance makes these things more difficult...

In July a woman I've worked with for the last 5 years collapsed in my classroom while trying to help me with something. She had had a stroke as well. After having surgery she was almost back to normal within three weeks. In fact she came to visit me at the office last month and seemed in really good spirits. As Thursday said strokes aren't always as bad as they seem.

Hang in there Charlotte. Hugs for you. My only advice would be to speak as often as you can to friends and family. If you aren't using it already Skype is a really economical way to call OS, you can call any number just by setting up some credit via your credit card. That way you can call as often as you need.

You have already reached out here and thats another great thing. hang in there matey, wish I could help more.

hope everything works out well Charlotte.....its horrible getting bad news from home and the helplessness that comes with it. A few years ago my dad had a heart attack, which was a HUGE shock to us as he's always been fit and healthy. Played loads of football, was always out jogging and cycling. Thankfully things turned out fine and my dad has made a full recovery. I hope your mum pulls through as well.

Thoughts are with you

All the best - as soon as you find out let us know.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
h.....its horrible getting bad news from home and the helplessness that comes with it.

Truer words have never been spoken. Just try to think positive about things, and as Thursday pointed out, it might not be as bad as you think.

If it were me, I'd be on the next plane home regardless.

Nothing more to add really....

But (((((HUGS))))) console

I'm with Rob though ...

Originally Posted By: RobBright

If it were me, I'd be on the next plane home regardless.

If there was any way I could do it - I would.

As for getting through. Good friends, a cup of tea, calling home often and remembering to stay positive and hope for the best outcome.

Yeah, my mum had to talk me out of going home. I took a couple of days off of work to figure stuff out, but in the end my family convinced me that my dad was past the worst of it and Doctors were confdent of his recovery. Since then I have always kept 1 credit card for emergency use. Nothing is on it, just waiting to be used in a time like this.....

Thanks for the kind messages.

I spoke with my brother just before and he said that things are looking quite positive and that she should make a good recovery. Don't come home at the moment was the message. I do already have a plan/ticket to go home in late November.

Feeling relived to hear positive news but it still seems generally vague.

One thing I have noticed. The day I found out I wasn't in the best of moods and had had a bit of an argument with a friend the previous evening. That suddenly became irrelevant, or at least seemed very silly and totally insignificant.

Things like this happening help you focus on what is really important.

Originally Posted By: charlotte
One thing I have noticed. The day I found out I wasn't in the best of moods and had had a bit of an argument with a friend the previous evening. That suddenly became irrelevant, or at least seemed very silly and totally insignificant.

Things like this happening help you focus on what is really important.
Doesn't it just.

I have had that experience a few time in the last year, the ones having the most impact were facing my own mortality, and last week when one of Papa's team mates, a father of 4, passed away. Made me realize that getting p-ed off with him for overstaying at the pub every now and again was pathetic in comparison to losing him. And ya know what - if he wants to have a beer or 7 with his mates on a friday night then GO FOR IT. Plenty of time to rest when you are looking at the lid.

Charlotte, I would imagine when you go home in November you will hug family just that little bit tighter this time round.
Glad to hear your Mum is doing better.
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Made me realize that getting p-ed off with him for overstaying at the pub every now and again was pathetic

Please pass this pearl of wisdom onto all the sisters smile
Said with my best Rizzo impersonation "With Relish"

Glad to hear the news from your brother was positive. Although I'm sure you're still worried, it's a great deal of a load off your mind to get some encouraging news. I hope her recovery goes smoothly.

<Rant>

Good to hear that the news is positive I had my mother (in Melbourne) pass while I was moving house in Sydney (that was quick) then my father pass 2 weeks later (in England but this was to be expected)

The only way I could deal with my parents being sick (and then passing) was to stay 'switched on' with the house move (I was told to move which buggered up my japan snow trip) but once it was over and I had idle hands that's when I freaked out (work was great they offered support and gave me a couple of weeks off)

I still get upset once in a while but my advice is to go though the process (dont let it build up) in the early days I found that I was getting upset at the most simple of arguments and flipping out. that will fade over time

I hope for the best. and the times I had to visit the hospital I always went for dark humor jokes (like I flew down to Melbourne to see mum in the ICU and the first words where 'I come to see the cat')

</rant>

It's the nightmare of getting a call from home that something suddenly horrible has happened. I haven't had one of those yet really but know that as time goes on the chances only get higher. Just got to cope I suppose.

My thoughts with you charlotte, hope your mum pulls through good.

friend

• 2 weeks later...