Japan imposes 40% cigarette tax increase

Originally Posted By: thursday
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Yep really. Not in the mood for your crap. Talk about the issue or **** off.

What? rather hypercritical don't you think, since you're always on about threads evolving.

Ths issue here now is smoking. Evolved from "Smoking in Japan omly".

Evolved to what thursday? Having a go at my use of the word frankly. Yeah that's really evolving isn't it?
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep really. Not in the mood for your crap. Talk about the issue or **** off.

What? rather hypercritical don't you think, since you're always on about threads evolving.

Ths issue here now is smoking. Evolved from "Smoking in Japan omly".

Evolved to what thursday? Having a go at my use of the word frankly. Yeah that's really evolving isn't it?

No, evolved into smoking in general and you going on about smoking in Japan exclusively to be discussed by people in Japan.

Come on boys, calm down now.

My thoughts on the subject are - as long as it doesn't affect me, I don't really care what other people do. I don't like smelling of smoke or having to put up with inconsiderate people, and thats what some smokers are regarding their habit.

I just find the whole idea of smoking quite comical really. Sticking something in your mouth then setting light to it. But hey if that's what some people want to do.

• SnowJapan Moderator

Could we perhaps calm things down a bit here please.

I think we have got the drift of the different positions, I don't think there is a need to further escalate that particular line of discussion.

Thank you.

You can assume you can go **** yourself. That not clear enough for you?

Na, perhaps need some pictures. wink

it's interesting Rach, in Yokohama, there are more and more smoking booths popping up around stations, since JR banned smoking from the platforms.

Smoking is one of those necessary evils - by that I mean the tax it provides subsidises lower tax rates on other things. Especially in Japan, where JT is 50% owned by the Japanese Government, they are getting double incomes, one from sales of tobacco, and another from tax revenue.

Happy to discuss the topic (and let it evolve) pete but if rob wants to be a smartase I don't have to put up with it. His little comment above had nothing to do with the topic in any way whatsoever. Just thought he'd have a little fun at my expense. Others may put up with it, I won't.

I've already told you smoking is personal and we are not going to get a solution going down that direction.

Also I have said in another thread, there are a few people (or, most of us actually) who like to upstage themselves on this forum. But that can be entertaining or annoying.

Now we all have likes and dislikes about each other on this forum, but part of the reason we post here is, prolly, we need some communication in English with someone. Although, for some, it might be strange that we take a piss at each other. Is that an Aussie or Pommy trait? - probably so.

Can we keep it civil? Maybe stop baiting each other? This is not a group counseling session, you know? or is it?

In the end it's just gonna be shut up or put up comment, or **** off mouth job.

Maybe we are all having a shitty time at the moment.

The whole passive smoking risks have been so exaggerated it's ridiculous. Some of the biggest studies done on this show that you literally need years and years of being in a very smoky environment to have even a fairly slightly increased risk of getting cancer.

Sure for a non smoker it can be annoying as hell but please all this rhetoric and ridiculous propaganda about the risks just get beyond stupid.

Frankly I couldn't care less what people outside of Japan think of smoking. Here it is still very accepted socially and that's what people from outside Japan need to recognise if they travel here.

This is what I thought of when I read this thread. Campaigns in the US like "truth" are so advocated against smoking it's crazy. Ridiculous examples of second hand smoke are brought about. Yes smoking leads to cancer and there are some questionable if not disturbing contents in modern day cigarrettes. This is something that should be recognized because it will shave years off your life. However, there's quite a paradox here in the US because people that are ardent about non-smoking and drug campaigns quite often will die much faster of heart disease because of poor diet.

Where is the tax on trans fatty foods or other very unhealthy foods?

Mitch has been like the first person to post something intelligent and on the fence, thank you so much Mitch!

I find it amusing that all of the pro smokers or fence sitters, were talking with regards to Japan, and that this supposed evolution from smoking in Japan to smoking in general has been spouted by the militantly anti-smoking crew. This thread hasn't actually evolved. It is about smoking in Japan - I posted my opinion on smoking in Japan before, here is my opinion on smoking in NZ to clarify. If someone lit up inside a building I was in in NEW ZEALAND, I would be really put out, if i saw someone blow smoke onto children walking past - that would piss me off mightily. (well it would in NZ or Japan actually)

Smokers should segregate themselves in countries like NZ, Aus, UK, USA, countries where it is no longer socially acceptable. I only smoke in my car, in my backyard, bar patios (which are filled with smokers), or when I'm at work I stand out by my car - because it's not socially acceptable, and I don't want to blow smoke onto the faces of people who live in a relatively smoke free country.

In Japan it is the opposite - people will smoke anywhere they can, and in most places they are still allowed to - you enter at your own risk if you are terribly anti smoking.

Its not as if you get handed a 20 deck at customs when you come over here!!

Times are a changing here as well, already I've noticed restaurants that have changed to non-smoking, the beach at Shonan was non-smoking (offcially at least). Kanagawa government has started to outlaw smoking in public places

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ

In Japan it is the opposite - people will smoke anywhere they can, and in most places they are still allowed to - you enter at your own risk if you are terribly anti smoking.

Really? How d'you know? Are all restaurants smoking? Whatabout those mall restaurants who cater for families? Is it OK to light up and families enter at they're own risk?

Cancer spreaders would say anything to justify their obsession with killing people with their "right' to do as they please.

Cancer spreaders would say anything to justify their obsession with killing people with their "right' to do as they please.

Yep that's exactly why people choose to smoke, because they are obsessed with killing people... rolleyes

This is how the subject 'evolves' is it thurs? Mindless crap? This thread should just be closed...

I often wonder these reactions that come out with smoking is largely effected by the space and population density of that area we occupy.

Well, said in that way, it is obvious, isn't it. Also stress level of people and the need to have some space.

Imagine this. We are sitting at a camp fire, it gets simply smokey, or I toss a bit of poopy, ganja, tabbaco leaf on that fire. What would be your reaction?

When it comes to the cancer debate, that's a another perspective.

There is a difference between deliberately adding known cancer causing chemicals and making people more addicted to tobacco, and just smoking pure tabacco. One word of caution. If we are going to quote "scientists" we better realize which side they are getting payed by.

As for smoke, sure it causes cancer. Smoked meat (ham) burnt toast, charred beef, BBQ, olive oil cooked at high temperature.

But we have been doing this from the cave man days.

Then it is your own personal risk management. It is when "people" gets outside your own control, risk managemnt, we have a need to do something. That's OK by me. But there are degrees and no "common sense" debate might settle it. There will always be people who will be unhappy, but I reckon there are solutions so people can co-exsist.

Yep that's exactly why people choose to smoke, because they are obsessed with killing people... rolleyes

This is how the subject 'evolves' is it thurs? Mindless crap? This thread should just be closed...

why should it be closed?? just because you don't like people expressing their strong views that are in direct conflict with yours?! Very Police state-like

Because it just gets ridiculous. We've had more than a few of these threads in the past and everyone has more than made their views clear on this subject.

Some people are vehemently against smoking. Wow what a revelation!

If you think there's any more points to be added go right ahead.

so why contnue to post in the thread then? confused

If its not for you then no one forces you to read the posts other people make. There is an Xbox and PS3 thread but I never read it, I never post in it (I don't think) because it doesn't interest me.....I don't start demanding that the thread be shut down

Quote:
This thread should just be closed...

^ This is a demand? wakaranai

Whatever TB. You want to keep this thread going by all means do so. I for one have had enough of the BS.