Palin for the White House!

Nope, but we were discussing American (specifically) politics - At least none of our Oz leaders have been so blatantly stupid (like Dubya) or secsually predatory (like Bill C).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: pickled mushhead
As for Palin, I trust the Americans have more sense.

Good luck! Remember, they elected George Dubya! and Bill (secsual relations) Clinton.

aww JA, that's not fair. Clinton's personal affair should have never got to the point that it did. If you look at his presidency without that tainting it, he did a remarkable job. One of the few presidents who used military troops to NOT spread American economic/political influence but to prompt peace. I got to meet him when I was younger and he is one of the most stand up, rational, and compassionate people I have ever met. I wouldn't even care if a president I fundamentally disagree with had an affair, that is personal business and if you can do your political duties and have multiple wives I wouldn't care. It's sad how much in this country ideological differences prompt personal attacks.

To be quite fair, you can only pin the second election on us. There was not one person that could have foreseen the diaster of Bush's foreign policy. Not to mention most people I have talked to from foreign countries couldn't tell you anything dubya did wrong besides Iraq. You have to understand American media is the epicenter of global attention and this is why everyone gets a one-sided view of this country. British, Australian, etc. They all love to make travesty of American media/politics and rightfully so. I am extremely optimistic of my generation and I think once we are the majority you will see a lot of improvements in the political structure.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
I am extremely optimistic of my generation and I think once we are the majority you will see a lot of improvements in the political structure.
With the system where the committed vote, and then try to coerce/encourage the rest to vote for their candidate, and where the great unwashed vote directly for the supreme being, I doubt that the younger generation will be able to make that much difference. I'd be really, really happy to be proved wrong, but may not live long enough to see it!
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Clinton was a dude.
He may still well be.

If only leaders could be as grey and uncharasmatic as John Major.
Oops, he was shagging Curry behind the scenes wasn't he.
Who'd have thought.

you have just put me off my lunch
omg

GG you are right in that other countries also pick their lemons but the difference is the other countries don't have as much impact on the world as the US does at this time, so a lemon from them affects a lot more people
Originally Posted By: JA
I am extremely optimistic of my generation and I think once we are the majority you will see a lot of improvements in the political structure.
With the system where the committed vote, and then try to coerce/encourage the rest to vote for their candidate, and where the great unwashed vote directly for the supreme being, I doubt that the younger generation will be able to make that much difference. I'd be really, really happy to be proved wrong, but may not live long enough to see it!

JA if you look at the voting results it is the elderly and the youth that vote in this country. 18-24 and 65+ are the major voting ages with the highest participatory rates. I know what you are saying and believe me, I understand the frustration of the system in place, but I think you will see significant change in coming years.
  • 4 months later...

Not sure what I think about Donald Trump.

Seems like he is lining up to run.

Just seen an interview with him, he would really be going to be going after China and pretty much any other country. Very outspoken.

"Go into Libya and take their oil".

Need to know more about him.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
His haircut would be the laughing stock of the world.

Yessss another bimbo tea party soccer mom making headlines! I feel bad perpetuating her fame but I am outraged with the rise of such simple minded people.

By we the people she means we the white Christians....
You have to understand American media is the epicenter of global attention and this is why everyone gets a one-sided view of this country. British, Australian, etc.

Maybe it was just the places I visited in the U.S. but I found free to air news and current affairs difficult to find at all on T.V.
Originally Posted By: Mantas
You have to understand American media is the epicenter of global attention and this is why everyone gets a one-sided view of this country. British, Australian, etc.

Maybe it was just the places I visited in the U.S. but I found free to air news and current affairs difficult to find at all on T.V.

There's definitely a lot of celebrity gossip, drug mongering, and non-relevant news displayed constantly. Hard to find anything about the Middle East unless it involves deadly riots or oil in the title.

But is it free to air? Meaning not via paid subscription.

In Oz we have about an hour and a half of news and current affairs every evening. Most of these are broadcast by commercial networks, and they are free. The government has a couple of non-commercial channels that are free as well.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
But is it free to air? Meaning not via paid subscription.

In Oz we have about an hour and a half of news and current affairs every evening. Most of these are broadcast by commercial networks, and they are free. The government has a couple of non-commercial channels that are free as well.

There are about 5 free channels for news? Most is cable news network but you pretty much have to pay for tv here anywhere because of the digital TV switchover.
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
His haircut would be the laughing stock of the world.

Yessss another bimbo tea party soccer mom making headlines! I feel bad perpetuating her fame but I am outraged with the rise of such simple minded people.

By we the people she means we the white Christians....

Dunno Mitch, I prefer her haircut. wink

But yes the thought of these people is scary.
I think we're safe from them though.

I loved what someone said a while back, Obama should show his birth certificate when Palin shows her high school certificate. Of course he is American and what is it with America where an immigrant can not be President of the country, surely equal rights apply, the Aussie Prime Minister was born in England (Mind you they are welcome to take her back)

Actually in America an immigrant cannot be President. The Pres has to be born in the US.

That being said, the whole birther thing is BS. It's really just a thinly veiled form of racism. People can't say they don't want a black President, so instead they question if he's really an American. It's been thoroughly disproven many times of course but people still drag it up. I doubt that Trump and most politicians really believe it, but they're using it as a way to gain support from people who probably really do believe it.

It saddens me deeply at how much a travesty American politics has become. I feel as though my generation is going to watch some crash and burn political careers and learn heavily from it.

There's not a simple explanation and I could be flat out wrong, but I feel as though the baby boomer generation that lived through the cold war is really plaguing this country with ignorance. Information is readily available and we have to realize the Shah of Iran wasn't a direct threat, neither was Saddam Huessein, Vietnam, Korea, etc.