That would suck - but it's good news for family etc.. that thought they were probably dead just a few days ago.

So if you were a miner stuck down there with just a 10cm diameter drill hole to the outside, and a few months to fill in, what do you get them to send down?

I would start with

Paperback books rolled up tight.

Beer

Thermorest (if you can get the roll tight enough)

IPod....maybe some drugs. Should help the time pass.

I have read that they plan not to tell them about the 4 month wait. Ok...i see the logic, but how are they gonna keep that one up?

Miner: 'How long till we get out of here?'

Rescuer: 'Oh...er....only a few days now..I think, maybe a week'

Time passes...

Miner: 'Hey..thought you only said a week it has been a month!'

Rescuer: 'Yeah...... you see when I said a month I meant 1 dog-month...which is obviously 4 human months'

In a report I read the docs were estimating how much weight they had already lost it was noted in the pics they had of them that a few of them had their tops off because of the heat down there.

Yeah, the geothermic energy should keep them warm enough. Rock is a very good insulator and with 30+ people in a 10mx10m room it will very cosy.

Also there will be a fair amount of moisture down there, so the relative humidity will be at about 80%.

Originally Posted By: ger
Maybe they can get BP to help out or something.

Pour oil on them and flood them out?

Doubt there are many quicker options....drill and blast isnt an option for obvious reasons. Drilling a shaft just takes time. Assuming 10 vertical metres a day, it will still take 70 days. The shaft starts off 300mm radius and increases with depth. So the deeper they drill the more rock they must extract. Also most likely some type of Igneous rock which are pretty hard.

Its an underground worker's worse nightmare but luckily there was a well built and well provisioned refuge chamber. These are normally set up for a couple of weeks max. Long term issues will include sewage disposal, psyhcological stress, muscle degradation etc. On the upside there are many of them so hopefully this helps. Everytime I go underground I make sure I know which direction the chamber is.

I can see why it would take that long to get to them and coming up in a 63cm wide pipe will be a challenge in itself for the boys. My heart goes out to them.

it is horrible....I am a tad claustrophobic and this would not be my idea of a fun enforced vacation from life!!

My first thoughts as a female are to practicalities - ablutions? Is there a system for this or do they just pick a corner of the room and keep visiting there until it is full and they need to move to another corner. Food and water and other comfort items for the duration? Sent through a skinny hole I imagine. What about vit D deficiency - do they send vitamen tablets to help keep them healthy? Illness? argh too many things to consider.

I suppose they have emergency action plans with all this stuff planned out

I was also reading one of them was diabetic. Gareth would understand more about what it would mean to be stuck underground til Christmas and diabetic than me...but it can't be too good.

They should just do it asap. Tell them 5 months first then they will be stoked to find its only 4 months later on.

Nothing I hate more than looking forward to something then having it delayed over and over again.

Apparently it has been done...they told them they wont be out by (some Chilean holiday) on Sept 18, but they are hoping to have them out before Christmas.

So they left a wide margin for movement there... definitely not by Sept 18, hmmm maybe not even October 18, ...or even November 18 ... let's aim for DECEMBER 18.