It has been happening for a long time now, but rather sad all the same.

One of my locals has finally succumbed to serving meals.

Wonder if there will be any traditional feeling pubs left in another 10 years.

Quote:
Drinkers entering the Dog and Duck these days are more likely to encounter rack of lamb with minted peas or a Thai green curry salmon than the hefty cheddar cheese sandwich that passed for pub grub years ago, and food in Britain's inns is taking an ever bigger share of pub-goers' spending.

According to The Publican, the country's 52,000 pubs have passed a landmark that could make them increasingly resemble restaurants in the 21st century. For the first time, the trade magazine reported yesterday, alehouses now rely more on food than drink for their sales.

Trumpeting a poll of almost 1,000 publicans showing pubs relied on food for 52 per cent of sales, the magazine said: "Pubs are now officially food-led businesses."

The finding is further evidence that publicans are embracing plates rather than the ale pump, amid a long-term decline in the £28bn-a-year industry that has led thousands of inns to call last orders for the last time. Pubs have been hit by a wine lake of troubles, including the smoking ban, rising alcohol duty and falling beer consumption, competition from supermarkets, and the recession. Although closures have slowed from the record rate of 52 a week in the first half of last year, one in 10 pubs has shut in the last five years and Britain's tally is 6,100 down on the 58,600 in 2005.

Lets face it. There is a long list of Brittish things that are erroding away. Eventually every country is going to end up looking the same as each other.

At least they are not full of gaming machines yet.

Originally Posted By: thursday
great place to be.

Unless it's raining, 5C, winds blowing and dark already at 3pm.

Yeah I dont mind that. Sunny sun all the time is starting to kinda wind me up. But then I will probably moan when back in the UK.

I am British, its my prerogative.
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Some crackers up where my in laws are too.
Ones where you bang your head on the rafters.

I love English pubs, but that's where my love affair with England ends.

You don't like England much do you Mantas.

England has its issues, but I still prefer a Chav over a Bogan.
Quote:
A chav (pronounced /ˈtʃæv/ (CHAV)) is a stereotypical rough young person in the United Kingdom. The typical "chav"—known also as a charver in Yorkshire and North East England[1]—is said to be an aggressive teenager, sometimes unemployed or of white working class background, who repeatedly engages in anti-social behaviour,[2] such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdiness, or other forms of juvenile delinquency.

Quote:
The term bogan (pronounced /ˈboʊɡən/, rhymes with "slogan") is Australian and New Zealand English slang, usually pejorative or self-deprecating, for a person who is perceived to be from a lower class background or someone whose limited education, speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour exemplifies such a background. [1]

Similar slang terms and concepts exist in other countries, including: chav, scally and pikey in England; ned in Scotland; scanger, scobe, knacker and spide Ireland; zef South Africa; tokkie in Holland; Proll in Germany; white trash or redneck in North America; ars in Israel and lumpen or lumpenproletariat in Russia.

It's a great place to visit thurs.

The things I don't like about England have nothing to do with the weather or the people. I love the people, there's just too many of them. 60 million crammed onto that little island. It probably doesn't bother most people there but it's not 4 me.

It's a great place to visit thurs.

The things I don't like about England have nothing to do with the weather or the people. I love the people, there's just too many of them. 60 million crammed onto that little island. It probably doesn't bother most people there but it's not 4 me.

wow, that is spacious for me. lol
Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
It has been happening for a long time now, but rather sad all the same.

One of my locals has finally succumbed to serving meals.

Wonder if there will be any traditional feeling pubs left in another 10 years.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get what's wrong with being able to get a meal in a pub?