Hymen replacement operations anyone?

Yes, you too can once more become a virgin on the NHS is in the UK

Quote:
Muslim brides becoming virgins again with hymen replacement operations on the NHS

Increasing numbers of Muslim brides are having taxpayer-funded ‘virginity repair’ operations before marriage.

There were 116 hymen replacement operations carried out on the NHS between 2005 and 2009. The total for 2009 was 30, up 25 per cent from 24 in 2005.

The health service figures echo a trend reported by private clinics, which are seeing a huge surge in demand for the procedure from Muslim women paying up to £4,000.

One Harley Street clinic said that demand for its half-hour procedure had tripled in recent months.

Doctors say patients are under pressure from future husbands or relatives who insist that they should be virgins on their wedding night.

----

During the hymenoplasty procedure – viewed by some as invasive and degrading – the hymen is stitched or reconstructed so that it will tear again and bleed on the woman’s wedding night.

In some cases, the vaginal lining can be used to create a false hymen. A blood capsule can then be inserted into the lining to ensure realistic blood flow when the membrane is broken.

I'm confused.

If a lady has, ahem, had sex, hasn't the virginity thing sailed?

No matter what silly surgery she has had?

confused

Question is, should stuff like this be paid for on the NHS.

Quote:
When Aisha Salim (not her real name) prepared for her arranged marriage in 2007, she had to be a virgin bride.

But the Muslim graduate, from an affluent middle-class family who moved to England from Pakistan two generations ago, had slept with several boyfriends.

Knowing she would have to show her bloodied wedding-night sheets to her in-laws as proof of her virginity, she decided on hymen repair surgery.

veryshocked

Far from a muslim-only thing; mom-in-law hanging out the freshly washed but still obviously blood-stained sheets to dry for all the neighbors to see was de riguer in many a christian-dominant country until very recently (and may still be in plenty of places) and while I don't know, I suspect the same was/is true pretty much everywhere.

But, indeed Cal, a charming tradition!

Reminds me of the Sydney 2000 Olympics and an American Swimmer named:

Misty Hyman!!

Now that name certainly raised a few chuckles.

It's really big!

So so wrong that it is tax-payer funded. Honestly, if someone wants to be a "virgin" again, they can pay for it themselves, how many breast implants do you see funded through public health systems?

also, you don't have to have had sex to have a torn hymen - It can tear through vigorous exercise/horse riding among other things.

Quote:
So so wrong that it is tax-payer funded. Honestly, if someone wants to be a "virgin" again, they can pay for it themselves, how many breast implants do you see funded through public health systems?

Thats when all the nonsense cultural\traditional arguments come in and raise their annoying heads.
Originally Posted By: TheOrange
Quote:

Thats when all the nonsense cultural\traditional arguments come in and raise their annoying heads.

they can piss off, if they think they're going to get stoned to death then they can go to the police because it's illegal in pretty much every 1st world country.

If you can't carry cultural punishments over to your new country, then why can people still carry the cultural requirements punishable by the now illegal punishments over?

unfortunately these old draconian punishments still occassionally happen in 1st world countries. Yeah they are illegal but it doesn't always stop them. I've read more than a few stories of Pakstani women in the UK being beaten, raped and killed from their brothers and or father because they've had sex before they were married and have "brought shame" upon the family.

I reckon you can stitch stuff/insert capsules...whatever you want to make things LOOK shiny and new...but that boat has sailed! Virginity is about innocence not a superfluous bit of tissue that may or may not be intact on your wedding night!

If it was for the inlaws sake then hubby could assist with a needle stick to the finger to play the traditional charade. No...this is done to fool the husband. Great way to start a marriage!

NHS should not pay.

Want a new hymen - private you go.

Want big boobs - private you go (if you need a prosthesis after a mastectomy I have a different opinion however)

Want to be wrinkle free - pay for your botox.

Simple.

I wonder how many virgins who did not bleed were unfairly persecuted over the generations! veryshocked