Passed through Hakuba in April a couple of years back and have been planning on returning for a real Japanese powder experience (rather than Spring slush).

Have been reading more and more about the possibility of it being a 'La Nina' year - just wondered if anyone knows whether this is likely to result in an epic powder year or one to give a miss

Thanks in advance newhere

I'm interested to know this too! But I have a niggling feeling that La Nina and El Nino do not affect Japans snowfall because those weather patterns are based in the pacific ocean and Japans snow comes from Siberia

or have I got it wrong?

According to most of what I've read Japan's snow season isn't greatly affected by Nino/Nina. Tony Crocker probably has some of the best data on the effects of that pattern. Google his name to find.

Found some papers from Chinese researches that suggest that there is a pretty strong link between the East Asian winter monsoon and ENSO. In years where a La Nina pattern is well established prior to winter the winter monsoon is usually stronger than usual which should mean more snow. Strange things have been happening with climate though in recent years so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Found some papers from Chinese researches that suggest that there is a pretty strong link between the East Asian winter monsoon and ENSO. In years where a La Nina pattern is well established prior to winter the winter monsoon is usually stronger than usual which should mean more snow. Strange things have been happening with climate though in recent years so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Sounds encouraging!

Have done a little more research and found the following image of areas and affects caused by La Nina between Dec and Feb

4830638753_cc501c4420.jpg

Also, the following (between June-August) backs up what was mentioned about the season so far in Chile

4831253894_fd548b2ae9.jpg

Fingers crossed Japan is going to have a good one biggrin