The Whip represents a total rethink of several elements of snowboard design, but at first glance, there are two glaringly obvious features that stand out – the elongated cutout that runs through the center of the board and the raised, carbon-composite mounts dubbed “Spider back suspensionâ€.

The purpose of the Open V Hull shape is to reduce the amount of surface area in contact with the snow and in turn reduce drag for greater gliding speed. The straight inner edges boost directional stability and are positioned lower than the outer edge resulting in a slight V-shape that is designed to improve edge to edge transition.

The second – and most striking – design element is the Spider back suspension, a system which was inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci’s famous Vitruvian Man sketch. Lin explains that the SBS fulfills several key roles – it acts as a suspension system to reduce chatter and because it’s edge mounted, allows for easier transfer of weight directly to the outside of the board, which is curved like a conventional snowboard for turns. The SBS mounts are tilted slightly toward the center of the board for a more natural stance and further assist turning by raising the center of gravity. The inner arms also act like leaf springs to give the board more “popâ€.

The board is hand-built from wood, plastic, steel edges and carbon composite while the SBS is constructed with carbon composite. The suspension role played by the SBS also means that there’s no need for a dampening rubber sheet to be added to the board.

Comes in one size 157

The hole is very out there. I never would have guessed it was not painted to look like a hole. D'ya reckon this would be the pick for the boarder caught between wanting to freeride and be a downhiller?

Nay, Freerider will pick something that will handle deeper pow. A longer All mountain stick that is stable at high speed for downhill situation.

Downhill on piste, hard core carving would go hardboots I reckon.

It actually makes me think this is going back to sticking a pair of skis together by the tip and tail, with snowboard stance.

This bit:

"The purpose of the Open V Hull shape is to reduce the amount of surface area in contact with the snow and in turn reduce drag for greater gliding speed. The straight inner edges boost directional stability and are positioned lower than the outer edge resulting in a slight V-shape that is designed to improve edge to edge transition."

inner longitudinal slit they consider as the inner edge.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
This bit:

"The purpose of the Open V Hull shape is to reduce the amount of surface area in contact with the snow and in turn reduce drag for greater gliding speed. The straight inner edges boost directional stability and are positioned lower than the outer edge resulting in a slight V-shape that is designed to improve edge to edge transition."

inner longitudinal slit they consider as the inner edge.

mmmm,... I suspect if I test drove that there would be an epic stack, a trip to the hospital and then a raft of expletives about stupid blurry space age design... lol
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think that I can claim "best looking gear"... but today I have a pair of these sitting at home waiting for me when I get home from work.

Bit of a gamble ordering boots of the internet without trying them on but I was assured that the fit was "very very similar" to boots I was able to try on here (different model same brand)

26619.Image.1.jpg

Way cooler than mine!

I think the fit will be fine - I find ski boots kind of like running shoes - you know, you always have one brand that you wear and the others feel so uncomfortable.

The only boots I've ever tried that were comfortable for me were Nordica no matter what model. Mr Minty on the other hand is limping after a day of wearing anything other than Lange.

Damn those boots are cool.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
I don't think that I can claim "best looking gear"... but today I have a pair of these sitting at home waiting for me when I get home from work.

Bit of a gamble ordering boots of the internet without trying them on but I was assured that the fit was "very very similar" to boots I was able to try on here (different model same brand)

26619.Image.1.jpg

Is that Medusa on there?

Being that the boot model is the "jah love" I'm gonna have to agree with minty though medussa would have been good too.

The boots fit well (phew!) I just have to wait for a week and a day to use them (unless I can get up to wanaka for work and go for a little ski afterwards before then)

Only my 4th pair of boots ever, lucky they last a long time cos they feel like they cost a fortune. If I had got them in NZ they would be almost twice what I paid for my season pass.

• 2 weeks later...