OK I'm new to the subject so don't laugh.

But after reading a lot of stuff, I get the impression that the most popular resort place is Niseko, followed by Hakuba.

Then with a number of places trailing those two such as Shiga Kogen, Nozawa Onsen, Yuzawa, etc.

Would people agree with that summary?

I'm not really into going to somewhere just because it's popular. I suppose places are popular for good reason - though that actually puts me off some places.

It's all about the snow for me.

And if I go to Japan I'm keen on the idea of going somewhere really different, where I can get lost in Japan so to speak. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Many guys and girls on here living in Japan?

Hi Donner

Your first assumption is fairly correct I'd say.

But don't limit yourself to those two. Take some time and read up.

thumbsup

For westerners you're correct there.

The most renowned resort for the Japanese is Happo One in Hakuba. A mix of things relating back to the 50 years it's been open, the bubble times and the Nagano olympics in 98.

Karuizawa is famous for all year round resort style holiday for the Japanese rich and famous and gets a lot of asian visitors.

Gala Yuzawa has it's own shinkansen station so it gets a lot of day trippers from Tokyo.

There are over 500 resorts throughout Japan. Get a car, a navi and a phrase book and you will have the time of your life.

Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
The most renowned resort for the Japanese is Happo One in Hakuba.

I thought that actually went to Shiga Kogen.
Originally Posted By: SKI
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
The most renowned resort for the Japanese is Happo One in Hakuba.

I thought that actually went to Shiga Kogen.

It was named in some Japanese ski Mags a number of years back even before the Olympics.
Originally Posted By: Donner

It's all about the snow for me.

If it's all about the snow, assuming you mean deep, dry, blower powder, then I would suggest Hokkaido. All regions of Japan can and do get great snow but for consistency throughout the season it really is hard to beat the resorts up north. Plenty of good ones to choose from other than Niseko although the Big N does give you a nice, easy to organise introduction to skiing in Japan. And it is popular for good reason, some of the most consistent powder of any resort in the world in my not so humble opinion. If you want to stay away from the crowds though consider Rusutsu or Furano.
For getting away from it all a bit then areas like Kurodake or Asahidake would make a good choice.
I agree with thursday though that Nozawa Onsen or Zao also sound like great choices. If losing yourself in Japan means experiencing more of the cultural aspects then Hokkaido does lack a lot of the cutural stuff that can be found on Honshu.

Thanks!

Actually yeah I suppose it isn't ALL about the snow. The more I think about it that getting lost in Japan kind of aspect of a trip appeals more.

Niseko sounds awesome snow-wise but I somehow prefer the sound of somewhere like Shiga Kogen or Zao.

All sounds great!

friend

Shiga is nice and high so does maintain good snow quality throughout much of the season. And from what I've heard it's a very Japanese resort meaning little in the way of nightlife. I've not actually been there though so others can give you more info on that.

Originally Posted By: Donner
Thanks!

Actually yeah I suppose it isn't ALL about the snow. The more I think about it that getting lost in Japan kind of aspect of a trip appeals more.

Niseko sounds awesome snow-wise but I somehow prefer the sound of somewhere like Shiga Kogen or Zao.

All sounds great!

friend

Zao sounds like the escape and adventure you are looking for within the list of popular places to ski however as mentioned there are even more places totally off the radar. Seek and you will find.

Careful though, sure there are something like 500 resorts in this country but the vast bulk of them are very, very small local hills and not worth coming to from overseas.

Yeah for overseas tourists - Niseko, Hakuba and Shiga kogen are the most popular from what I have seen.

For us locals - day trips are pretty common to Yuzawa area and longer stays at the above mentioned places.

Depends what you mean by "lost in Japan" I suppose.

The appeal of the big areas is that they minimize the amount of moving around you have to do to keep things interesting. If you hire a car though, you can have a lot of fun on a road trip. With ski gear to carry and no direct links between resorts, it could well be a pain on public transport which can be pretty minimal anyway in the countryside.

The other guys may have a better perspective but if you are going to head out of the way places might pay to practice up on your Japanese, maybe even go to night school.

This topic was discussed recently how many of us were/are drawn to Japan for more then the snow. Maybe start at one of the bigger places and work your way out from there? Just an idea.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Hakuba and Niseko are the 2 that get most media time, certainly from the foreign tourist's perspective. Having been to Hakuba only once at the end of the season I'm not best placed to comment....it was still top to bottom riding (just) and it was the last week of April. This season past I finally made it up to Niseko to see what the fuss was all about (in Feb) and I have to say it blew my top off!! I also went to Shiga Kogen over New Year and up until then, SK was the best snow I had ever been in. Terrain is vast, place is busy BUT because its so big everyone is so spread out that its effect on wat times is negligible. The only bad word I have to say about SK is that there is next to nothng to do when the lifts stop.

I usually do day trips to the Yuzawa region, mainly riding at Kagura although I have hit up places like Naeba and Maruichi. Kagura is the best snow in the area and I have had amazing days there BUT it is busy as its the nearest resort to Tokyo with the best snow. I just don't get the vibe from Yuzawa that I'd want to spend a lot of money coming from abroad to only ride here. If you have a car and are passing through, for sure stop off for a day or 2.

Never been to Nozawa Onsen but next season its definitely on my list. If you are lookng for a quaint Japanese village experience with good snow then Noz has the reputation to deliver this, Zao to a lesser extent (in terms of quaint Japanese village life), but still deliver the great quality snow. I'm also a big fan of Myoko having been there a few years ago and having a 3 day snowstorm dump oodles and oodles of dry, fluffy pow all over the area. Its not far from Noz, so if you are roadtripping then a trip to Noz, followed by a day or 2 in Myoko is not out of the question.

I'd love to visit the resorts further north in Iwate, Akita and Aomori, I reckon the snow would be awesome up there and quite Hokkaido like.

Having vsited Niseko for my 1st taste of Hokk-pow, it has given me the bug to try out the other Hokkers resorts. If you are looking for a "Japanese Experience" then Niseko maybe isn't for you.....its spot the Japanese there. However the mountain is everything the hype says it is and the snow is the best I've ridden. It looks more like a European resort/regular ski resort than your run-of-the-mill Japanese resort, this is down to foreign investment and devlopment with the foreign market in mind. Apres is the best I've seen in Japan.

Good luck wherever you choose, I'm sure the Japow will be awesome.1 You have a lot of reading on your hands to tailor your trip!!

biggrin

I live here as well

Maruichi?

Ishiuchi Maruyama?

Quote:
I just don't get the vibe from Yuzawa that I'd want to spend a lot of money coming from abroad to only ride here.

Kind of agree, though for example if you stayed 7 days you could do 7 places:

Naeba

Kagura

Gala/Ishiuchi

Maiko

Hakkai-san

two more

That's not a bad lineup for sure.