Hello all. wave

Great to be here......apologies that my first post is a question...I promise to contribute more useful/entertaining posts in the future.

I have booked me and the girlfriend up for 2 weeks in the Niseko snow in Feb 2011. Whilst I am very excited I am still trying to get my head around the best solution for transporting my snow kit to resort.

We are flying Perth - Tokyo, Tokyo - Saporro return. (Qantas JAL respectively).

Excess baggage is calculated to be in the order of $800 pp for the trip if we take our own boards.

Has anyone got any recent experience of doing this recently?? (i understand that excess baggage policies have got more expensive in the last year).

The alternative is hiring boards in Niseko. We are both solid Intermediate riders, with a few seasons under the belt. Is the hire kit any good? i would be looking for a 166W Burton Custom or equiv (i own a 168 ride yukon and 161 Nitro Magnum).

Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great trip. Here's a suggesstion.

Pack all your HEAVY stuff in carry on bags and have two each then two light board bags or one heavier one between you should see you under the limit for check in. Perhaps even leave all the carry on in the car if your board bags are over the limit and use the old "But I havent got any carry on" line, it has worked wink Then go get the carry on bags after you check in.

Dont bother with duty free grog on the way up, its cheaper in Japan.

On the way back are you staying in Tokyo for a few days? - highly reccomended, if so you can frieght your bags direct to the airport and not have to carry them.

Hope this helps.

Hi Noob.. ahem I mean Schneebored lol wink razz

Seriously.... HI!welcome

Firstly, just how much are you gonna take on this trip? Last year I went for 7 days and made the baggage allowance EASY with board and boots. This next year I will be taking even LESS for a 10 day trip.

Secondly, Where are you staying? I ask because if they have washing facilities then you are sorted for taking less stuff just do a wash at the end of week one.

Thirdly my thermals get 2 days out before a wash (have 2 pairs), if you smell a little bit you can be assured of the avalanche dogs will able to find you. slap

Fourth with two of you you should be able to make the allowance easier beacuse you could have one board bag.

Fifth Stuff heavy stuff in your carry on.

Sixth pay for my flights and I will pack your bags for you and carry them around as well.

evilgrin coolmirrors

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I probably do need a lesson in packing kit. (toying with the idea of taking both my boards...probably not the best idea though).

- heavy stuff in carry on - check

- limit clothes taken (we do have washing facilities) - check

- we are having a few days in Tokyo at the end. So will freight luggage ahead - check (but will I get charged for freighting my luggage to the airport then not picking it up for 2 days?)

The problem is Qantas' allowance is 23kg and JAL is 15kg. so I guess I will have to keep under the Qantas allowance and pay the JAL excess.

Are you calculating the excess from the charges from when you rock up at the airport? If so contact Quantas and ask if they have an excess flat fee for sports goods, I've did this a few times with BA and Lufthansa, it's a lot cheaper than paying by the kilo rate at the airport.

I was of the understanding that I could pre-book excess and save a little cash.

Since booking the flights I phoned Qantas to clarify the situation....I asked if I could pre-book, they couldnt provide an answer and had to phone me back.

Eventually the response they gave was.... "The Japanese government (or air regulatory authorities) do not allow excess luggage allowances to be sold at a discounted rate in advance on incoming flights"

I laughed (and cried inside). It sounds like the perfect excuse for Qantas to make some more cash. I though excess tied into fuel costs not airport tax.

I have never liked qantas but their non-stop 10hr flight beats any other 1-stop 15hr flight hands down.

You really don't need to bring that much stuff. Maybe give us a list of what you are thinking of bringing and we'll help you cut out all the crap wink

Unless your girlfriend is like thurdays' wife we should be able to help you cut back significantly razz

Originally Posted By: Schneebored
I was of the understanding that I could pre-book excess and save a little cash.

Since booking the flights I phoned Qantas to clarify the situation....I asked if I could pre-book, they couldnt provide an answer and had to phone me back.

Eventually the response they gave was.... "The Japanese government (or air regulatory authorities) do not allow excess luggage allowances to be sold at a discounted rate in advance on incoming flights"

I laughed (and cried inside). It sounds like the perfect excuse for Qantas to make some more cash. I though excess tied into fuel costs not airport tax.

I have never liked qantas but their non-stop 10hr flight beats any other 1-stop 15hr flight hands down.

Thats absolute bullshit because I got the flat rate from Lufthansa when I flew here
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

Thats absolute bullshit because I got the flat rate from Lufthansa when I flew here

Exactly my reaction....I am a persistent type, and I have a whilst before my flight..so emails and letters to Qantas will follow.

Nothing like a good fight.

No matter what JAL will sting ya in Japan so aim at 30kg smile

Two boards and all your riding gear with an extra jacket etc 4 both of you should eaily make it. Your clothes should fit in two carry bags smile Just be ruthless with weight. No one notices if you wear the same hoody every night when you go out LOL.

Show your gf this pic. I met this girl in Haneda airport and this was ALL she had with her for a month in Asia. Might be a good challenge.

BackupofcameraJune30378.jpg

Same here - thought some airline companies allow you 1 sports bag - know Virgin did when I came over - all I had to do was give them notice beforehand.

Haha, awesome, I kind of have the same question but being a Kiwi I haven't bothered to ask.

As far as I can tell AirNZ allows one piece of sports equipment per person. Unfortunately this means that we can check either our skis or our boots razz Thanks AirNZ!

If you take plenty of thermals, undies, and socks you can probably go pretty minimal on everything else - do skiers/boarders hang out in their snowpants in the evening in Japan like people do here in NZ? I can't imagine jeans would mix too well with knee high snow in the streets (well we're going to Noz in Jan) Do you guys have kathmandu in aussie? They sell awesome down jackets which are ridiculously cheap when they're on sale, and they pack up into a little bag which is about the same size as a drink bottle, if you have one of those in addition to your jacket for up the mountain then you should be sweet.

Tex, mate ...

How the hell you need so many socks and jocks is a mystery.

Need only 2 socks. One gets washed at end of the day.

No undies for me. NZ melino wool thermal longs (top&bottom).

hoodies and track pants are YAY but bulky.

Hi-teck small towel (easy to dry, packs small) to dry off.

T-shirts you can buy in Japan so I take 2

Toothbrush in my pocket.

x1 goggle.

Buff (Mamabear, we bought Buffs. It's great!)

Japan always have soap at accomodation.

Definitely roll ...

And send it thru the post if you have too much.

There's a post office at Narita, you know ...

Originally Posted By: Tex
2 x Jeans (Wearing 1 pair)
1 x boots (wearing)
9 x jocks (wearinng ;OP)
7 x socks
2 x thermal sets
1 x snowboard pants
1 x snowboard jacket
1 x boots
1 x (maybe 2) boards
2 x goggles
2 x beanies
1 x helmet
7 x long sleeved shirts ( NOTE: dual use...going out and ski wear)
2 x hoodies (or 1 hoodie one windstopper. Wearing one on flight)
1 x trackie dacks
1 x shorts
Toiletries (Wash, Loufre, Destinkeriser, Aftershave, Razor, Toothbrush and Paste NOTE might have soap etc at accom)

All in carry on: Electric adapter and power board.
Cameras x 2 (Still and video)Laptop and leads. Phone and various chargers, Books (Novel and Uni Texts).

Roll don't fold!

Credit Card to buy what you forgot...

EASY party

Now even this list could be cut back plenty. 9 Jocks and 7 socks??? Just ridiculous. Need no more than 3 of each, just do a wash every few days. You only need one pair of jeans. I can go months without washing my jeans, I'm sure you can last a couple of weeks or wash and dry overnight if you absolutely feel the need. Helmets are for pussies and nancy boys, leave them at home and grow some nads. Don't really need 2 pairs of goggles, I've been here 7 seasons and managed with only 1 pair. Buy another pair over here if you really feel the need. 7 x long sleeve shirts?? Tex you never wash whilst your away or something? 2 should be plenty unless you're some fashion pussy and can't be seen dead 2 nights in a row in the same shirt! God forbid! I've never owned a hoodie and doubt I ever will but I would go with windstoppers/fleeces as a preference. Should be lighter. Only 1 beanie needed. Buy another here if you need more. Most accomm in Japan is ridiculously hot, drop the tracky pants and just bring the shorts. In fact thermals under shorts is a really good look. Toiletries for me are easy, I'd only bring a razor and that's it. Get everything else here. All the electrical stuff is ok if you really need it.
Easily just dropped another couple of kilos off Tex's list.

I just had a look at the JAL website and am surprised at how their excess baggage rules have changed. I used to do domestic surf trips around Japan and would bring three surf boards with me (9'6, 7'2, 6'5) and never had to pay anything extra. Anyway... you are allowed three checked bags at 15kg each. For 2 people you'd be able to bring 6 bags at 90kgs... kind of hard to imagine that you'd go over that for just a 2 week trip.

You could also consider wearing your heavy stuff like snowboard boots onto the plane to reduce the bag weight wink

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/service/bags/

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I just had a look at the JAL website and am surprised at how their excess baggage rules have changed. I used to do domestic surf trips around Japan and would bring three surf boards with me (9'6, 7'2, 6'5) and never had to pay anything extra. Anyway... you are allowed three checked bags at 15kg each. For 2 people you'd be able to bring 6 bags at 90kgs... kind of hard to imagine that you'd go over that for just a 2 week trip.

You could also consider wearing your heavy stuff like snowboard boots onto the plane to reduce the bag weight wink

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/service/bags/

BM...I dont think the JAL website means 3 x 15kg bags are included in the free allowance (if thats what you were implying). 1 x 15kg is included, the rest is charged per kg ($5.70)... still cheaper than Qant'ass'.

So in a perfect world (5 years ago snow holidaying in Europe...when you paid 15 pounds in advance and they never weighed the snowboard bag)I would take the following. (feel free to rip into my girly over packing)

1 x snowboard bag (filled with)

2 x snowboard

1 x bindings

1 x snowboard boots

4 x socks

3 x thermal sets (top & bottom)

1 x helmet

2 x goggle (sunny & cloudy)

1 x gloves

2 x fleece

1 x snowpants

1 x snowjacket

1 x shovel + probe

1 x snowboard tool, edge tool and quick wax

1 x small suitcase (filled with)

2 x jeans

3 x t-shirt

2 x hoodie

1 x smart shirt (for the ladies)

1 x trainers

1 x shorts

4 x undies

1 x first aid kit

The above usual weighted a total 30kgs

1 x Carry on dakine rucksack (filled with electronics, including beeper & GPS)

Wearing (non snowboard) boots onto plane.

dont think I have forgotten anything.....i think because I am tall I am unfairly punished. Everything I own is bigger and therefore heavier!

From the JAL website:

Quote:
Size:

Each passenger is allowed up to three pieces of checked baggage, not to exceed the following dimensions: 50 cm x 60 cm x 120 cm per item. (Items such as skis, golf bags, and fishing rods are eligible for checked baggage.)

You are allowed 3 checked bags, 1 carry on and 1 personal item.

WOW you guys are minamalist wink Can't go commando in the snow pushing G's on a Snowboard. Personal reasons.... has alot to do with the size of my feet. omg

I only wash every 4 days at the most. Every 2 or 3 days is extremely enviromentally unfreindly... and given I perspire ,you lot are obviously to cool to sweat in the snow wink , Jocks, Socks and shirts take up little space and/or weight 9, 7, 7 includes the ones being worn enroute. If I die my mum can be satisfied it was in clean jocks wakaranai

I guess I could cut it back a little but being under the weight is the goal and I still have plenty of space in my back pack which means not having to be as ruthless as I would for a hike out for 7 days or more.

Buying anything in Japan except 'non wearable items' is OK but being 6'1, 105kgs I have learnt the hard way already that unless they have a Sumo shop nearby even XXL doesn't fit in most cases. Why buy what you already have and can fit in?