Think about this: How long can you go without alcohol?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2008 I went 8 months without drinking. It was in the name of snowboard training. To this day I don't drink beer. I can handle a mixed vodka or gin drink.

I think my preference to not drink stems from the time I once got so drunk in college that I did something to cause some local gangsters, for whatever reason (I have a clue), to beat me up and I woke up outside an office building the next morning with a sore jaw, black eye and not knowing how I got there.

So, one event where a lack of self control means that you swear off drink forever?

Doesn't seem like a good reason to forgo the pleasure of an occasional beer or two, not to me anyway.

How can you have "beer o'clock" if you don't drink beer??

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: JA
So, one event where a lack of self control means that you swear off drink forever?

As anyone said that though?

Way I read this
Quote:
my preference to not drink stems from the time I once got so drunk in college that I did something to cause some local gangsters, for whatever reason (I have a clue), to beat me up and I woke up outside an office building the next morning with a sore jaw, black eye and not knowing how I got there
Originally Posted By: Kintaro
In 2008 I went 8 months without drinking. It was in the name of snowboard training. To this day I don't drink beer. I can handle a mixed vodka or gin drink.

I think my preference to not drink stems from the time I once got so drunk in college that I did something to cause some local gangsters, for whatever reason (I have a clue), to beat me up and I woke up outside an office building the next morning with a sore jaw, black eye and not knowing how I got there.

Funny, cos the way I read it, is that Kintaro does drink, ie a mixed vodka or gin drink, but prefers not to.

Very different from someone saying that don't drink, isn't it?

Sorry folks! Been away from the computer today (surfing). I DO drink, just not often. I don't drink beer and don't get drunk...but have no problem with those that do! I've owned a bar. It was good business. Cheers!

Oh, and how long can you go without alcohol?

I've lost about 6-7kg in the last few months (?)... mainly from doing 20km bike rides 4-5 times a week, eating a fair bit less and better, and not drinking much. I've even stocked up on Diet beer and even getting used to it's, er, 'light' flavour.

I guess if losing weight is important to you then do whatever you need to do to reach that outcome. Losing weight has never been important to me...

Some of us go through life without ever giving a single thought to is this good or bad for me or will I put on weight.

If I like it I eat or drink it, simple as that. No other considerations required. Being fit and healthy just isn't something I ever worry about. I've been extremely fit and healthy at times through my life and it didn't make me any happier than when I haven't been. Looking slim and fit has also never been a concern of mine. Never cared how I look...

For the first time in my life I was starting to get a bit podgy around the waist and my face getting a bit too round.

I just felt too big.

So decided to lose some weight.

Feeling good for it and looking better too.

dance

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I guess if losing weight is important to you then do whatever you need to do to reach that outcome. Losing weight has never been important to me...
Some of us go through life without ever giving a single thought to is this good or bad for me or will I put on weight.
If I like it I eat or drink it, simple as that. No other considerations required. Being fit and healthy just isn't something I ever worry about. I've been extremely fit and healthy at times through my life and it didn't make me any happier than when I haven't been. Looking slim and fit has also never been a concern of mine. Never cared how I look...

Same here! Fitness is relative, and there is no definition of fit that specifies how heavy you should be. BMI is a waste of effort, and the seefood diet is best. (the one that says see food = eat it)
  • 2 weeks later...

The choice here is beer or grain alcohol (White wine, although it has nothing to do with grapes). Its terrible stuff thats up to 60% and drunk in glasses that must hold 4-5 shots. There is a BIG drinking culture here. We MUST drink when we go out with Govt officials etc, its considered rude if we dont. Last time the Govt official ended up in hospital.

VERY easy to get VERY pissed VERY quickly. The last time we got on it I was sick for weeks and the last thing I recall is picking a girl out of a line up in KTV. Woke up still smashed. NEVER AGAIN.