Accommodation & property management - changing hands

I have noticed this in the last few years for a number of places in Niseko.... properties/accommodations that seem to be managed by different companies each year. They seem to go from one to another and I was wondering why that might be? Is it due to change of ownership, or more attractive management terms etc from another company?

Anyone able to shed a bit of light on this, find it very interesting.

Cheers.

It can be a number of things. Obviously over the last couple of years things have been difficult since the GFC. No longer is demand far outstripping supply so there is real competition between management companies for bookings. Since developments like Alpen Ridge and The Vale there is also a lot more 'ski in/out' accommodation now than there used to be which has made it far more difficult for not so well situated properties to get good occupancy rates throughout the season. Different management companies can have very different markets they cater to. Owners of specific properties may decide that another company caters to a market that is more in line with the property they own and change to for this reason. Possibly they can also negotiate better management terms although most of the major management companies offer similar terms. At the end of the day keeping all owners happy is certainly not an easy job and frankly management here is not an easy business to make profitable either.

One of the consequences of the boom in development here is that many more people are able to come during the times that they want. So the busy periods are far busier and the shoulder periods are less busy. When people had less choice on when they could come the season was more spread out which was much better for owners and management companies alike.

GN: What are the prime times for visitors coming from abroad? Obviously domestic visits peak at New Year and around the three-day weekends, but what would be your on-site advice for Japan-based people to avoid the biggest crowds?

In Niseko the Christmas/New Year and Chinese New Year are the busiest periods and the most expensive. Dates for these highest rate periods are 25 Dec to 2 Jan and 29 Jan to 6 Feb (CNY changes dates each year). Most of Jan is also very busy and up to about mid Feb. From mid Feb on it starts to decrease and by mid March it's very quiet.

Thanks GN, that pretty much accords with my estimations.

I've managed to always skip Xmas/NY/CNY. Mid-January used to be pretty good, but it's been a little crowded the past couple of years. I've typically taken a North American trip in February, but thinking next season to stick with Niseko and go overseas in March instead.

Frankly, I would beware of putting too much into the "oh it's all booked up" scary stories. Don't get panicing.

Your first choice of place might get booked up, but there is plenty out there for most periods out of the peak time - and there will be close and into season too.

It's one tactic that some companies try to get people into booking and committing early. Not accusing anyone on here doing that, but it certainly happens.

friend

Not trying to panick anyone but early bookings this year have been very strong. Well up on last year. In certain periods in certain types of accommodation it is starting to become hard to find availability. I know that in Jan already 1 bedroom apartments and studios are becoming very hard to find, at least that's what the agents tell me. High end stuff like penthouses have also had very strong early bookings and as there are not many of these in the village availability is becoming hard to find in certain periods. I am only talking about more luxury end, western-style accomm though. Should still be plenty of availability in hotels and pensions I'd think?

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Not trying to panick anyone but early bookings this year have been very strong. Well up on last year. In certain periods in certain types of accommodation it is starting to become hard to find availability. I know that in Jan already 1 bedroom apartments and studios are becoming very hard to find, at least that's what the agents tell me. High end stuff like penthouses have also had very strong early bookings and as there are not many of these in the village availability is becoming hard to find in certain periods. I am only talking about more luxury end, western-style accomm though. Should still be plenty of availability in hotels and pensions I'd think?

Yep that is what we have been trying to book 1 bedroom apartments but not having much luck.

SH there are some great little pensions around the village that I'm sure must still have availability. When I was just coming here on holidays I always stayed in pensions, I love the atmosphere and the hospitality of the Japanese owners. For me it's a very Japanese experience compared to staying in self-contained, western apartments.

GN, I'm going to stay over in Niseko Village this trip and just realized that I'm there during Chinese NY, i assume that its going to be busy over there, would that be correct.

I think that's a fair assumption. The place will be full of Hong Kongers and Singaporeans. Some of the most demanding and annoying tourists I've ever had to deal with. Enjoy! wink