1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Just doing something on that on the evening news now.

They are calling it

ãªãŒã‚‰æºå¸¯

I stick mine on drive mode.

Answer it, click it onto speaker (I have an old brick of a phone without any fancy handsfree hookups) and leave my phone on my lap while I chat.

The biggest difficulty with this procedure is having to put down my beer and joint while I answer the phone. wink

I LOVE my Voyager - it has a fantastic inbuilt GPS system that links up automatically with my phone when I am in (or actually within cooee) of the car.

I am the queen of multitasking, and conversing taxes me marginally more than drawing breath. So I often use commute time to catch up on phone calls.

Will have a quick look at it. If its important I will quickly answer, tell them to wait, put it down and then pull over. Im not an important guy so thats very rare. Normally return the call later IF a message is left.

unless you can blabber without even thinking and therefore knowing what you're saying, then talking while driving is fine. It mustn't distract you from your duties like not hitting anybody else on the road. Crashing into a lampost, car bursting into flames and driver being burnt alive is alright. Careering off a bridge and landing on the centre reservation without crushing anybody else is also alright.

Seriously Thursday - do men actually require that much brain power to have a conversation? I could have a conference call debating solutions to world peace and still have more mental capacity on the road than a vast many moronic drivers I see all around me everyday.

Dialing is distracting.

Texting is distracting (unless you are one of those people who can do it without looking! And that is not me.).

And holding the phone (to push buttons of any description, or hold it to your ear) means you are driving one handed. Many of us do - eating, drinking, smoking, fishing around the glove compartment for change for the parking meter... But it is not optimal.

But speaking on the phone (if it is on speaker/bluetooth) is no more dangerous than listening to the radio or a CD and singing along, or having a conversation with another passenger. Do any of you stick passengers in your car and then tell them that you can not talk to them because it will distract you? doh

Fact is, Mama, that using the phone while driving, unless handsfree, is illegal here in NSW.

I most often answer and pull up as soon as possible.

In fact, if I were to pull up, answer the phone and leave the engine running, I am STILL illegal. In NSW it is expected that the engine be OFF just in case the car starts to drive off by itself.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Do any of you stick passengers in your car and then tell them that you can not talk to them because it will distract you? doh

No! but many people SHOULD! Especially lady bowlers (in their whites) and anyone driving wearing a hat!
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Do any of you stick passengers in your car and then tell them that you can not talk to them because it will distract you? doh

No! but many people SHOULD! Especially lady bowlers (in their whites) and anyone driving wearing a hat!

Agreed! lol

Laws are the same here JA.
Must be handsfree.
Which I am.

Edited to add: We actually bought son number 1 a Ute to use as his first vehicle because it restricts passenger numbers to one. I know there is a study that shows a significantly higher likelihood of an accident in probationary drivers when carrying passengers, and the more passengers the higher the risk. Obviously these guys are still learning and need more concentration than experienced drivers. I make sure the radio is turned off (and the GPS) when giving the boys a driving lesson too. I can also imagine that the same distractability occurs at the other end of the driving spectrum. My 80 something yr old Nanna, God bless her, really can't cope with any distractions/passengers any more.