FEATURE : Sondre Norheim - the Skiing Pioneer of Telemark

A new feature, "Sondre Norheim - the Skiing Pioneer of Telemark", written by Anne-Gry Blikom and Eivind Molde, has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-58.html

The history of Sondre begins in Morgedal, Telemark. He was born June 10, 1825, at Overbo, a little cotter's farm nestled in the hillside. About 500 people lived in this Southern Norway village at that time.

Here he spent his early childhood years together with parents Ingerid and Auver, his grandparents Eivind and Sigrid, and his elder brother Eivind. The family was poor, and his family's ancestry included generations of poor cotters.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-58.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

For copyright reasons, and at the request of the authors of the Feature, please refrain from linking any of the images contained in this feature into this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Discuss it here....

I love reading nostalgic and historical stories.

The things that get me was how unbelieveably flimsy the bindings were.

wow and I complain about my bindings. These guys probably ripped aswell. I would love to time travel and take some modern equipment back to Sondre and say " there ya go my son, have a lash on these" He would probably cream his pants love.gif

(photo edited - see photo in main feature)

jake burton, tom sims, and some other dude without a snowboard company, are the chaps we owe most too.

some larker rode down a hill on an ironing borad or something, but he gets no points for entrepreneurial foresight.

Yamabiko Koen in Suwa. There are lots of parks around here with 'interesting bicycles'.

The trike's cool. You can ride it any direction, and just a touch of the pedals sends it in big looping turns. (Touch the pedals too hard and the thing tips over...) With a couple of adult sized ones and a big ball, you could have a game of tricycle polo...