Mobile wireless access point thingy

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a bit of a nightmare day with it actually.

Wireless - ok.

Getting the 3g bit to work - not yet. Even went to a docomo shop to try and get some info from them and they had me waiting for 40 minutes before coming back out and saying they didn't know. Problem is, the manual is utter trash.... it mentions stuff you need to put in but isn't actually specific about it. So I've been to Docomo, I've talked with NTT and I've talked with OCN. NTT told me I should speak with OCN. OCN told me I should speak with Docomo. Docomo eventually told me I should speak with OCN. Who then said it was Docomo's fault again. Arrrggggghhhh.....

Felt this before but the complexity of all this NTT / OCN / Docomo providers etc blah blah ---- drives me nuts.

I've given up for the day. I'll have another go talking to someone tomorrow or Monday.

I've just spent another few hours trying to get somewhere without any luck. Amazing how they each are passing it on to another, going round and round in circles. None of NTT, Docomo or OCN seem prepared to help. So I can't use it. Madness. I might end up simply cancelling it, getting very weary.

OK got it sorted.

Gave up totally on OCN and joined mopera at docomo (as provider) for 525 yen a month and that worked first time. Going to cancel as much of my OCN whatever as possible, the scoundrels. Bloody annoying all that was.

Going to chill out for the rest of the day now after wasting most of the weekend.

Good to hear it.

The problems all started when that lovely lady didn't bring it round herself hey.

I agree with you though all this NTT/Ocn/providers/docomo - it's not the easiest of things to understand. I can totally get how fed up you must have been when they shunted you from one to the other.

Well.

My problem was setting up this hikari link mobile wifi thing.

I could set it up for wireless in my house no problem.

But when it came to connecting to 3G, you need to enter provider details... and I was using OCN. But I simply could not get it to work, however much I tried and however much I phoned NTT, OCN and Docomo to try and get the relevant info out of them. Tearing my hair out.

I then noticed on the docomo site that they have this mopera thing going on. I already have a data plan with docomo (the one where theres an upper limit of 5980 yen a month).

So after talking to them, I decided to try connecting that way rather than using my home ocn account.

Signed up for this mopera provider thing which is 525 yen a month.

And connecting this little gizmo up using that info was simple and it worked first time.

Once it is set up it's really simple. You just go to the wifi connection settings on the ipod touch or ipad, and the gizmo's wifi will appear in the list of those available. Type in the password and voila it works! So now when I'm out of range of my wifi at home, I can connect my ipod touch or ipad using this gizmo.

Not sure if I explained that well of not!

Thanks, that's good info, GG. So basically you need to have a data plan, not just mopera connection. Just taking a look up on the website their pay-as-you-go pake-hodai simple plan might be workable for me. I wouldn't use a flat rate plan as I just don't need to connect away from my computer that much.

Tethering is definitely the go if it's doable and not too costly to what you're already using.

I don't know what tethering or jailbreaking is, so I can't help there!

I was already on my data plan using a USB gizmo to connect out and about to my computer. So the only added cost for me now is the 525 yen a month. I can now switch my foma card between my previous USB one and this new gizmo thing, if I so desire. Of course with the ipad there's no USB so that's why I need this new one. But you definitely need something other than the basic mopera thing I have because that doesn't include any data tranfser, it's just the "provider".

I find all the terms extremely confusing, and frustrating.