• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hung parliament eh....all very exciting. Labour reckon that British laws state that in a hung parliament, the incumbent PM has first dibs on forming a government

Surprised at how many people turned out, as were the officials it seems!

My vote counted anyway.

Seems like a lot of overseas peeps couldnt vote, I totally forgot to register anyway until too late.

I am not a big fan of democracy and feel ambivalent towards the 3 candidate parties in the UK. My logic for voting would be little more than 'I dont like Brown, so I vote for the other one' - I suspect a large % of voters conciously or not did the same.

I think democracy is only good for keeping out tyrants, it doesn't lead to quality government.

Wonder how (much more) messy this will become.

Brown still in No 10 after all this seems surely far-fetched.

Just read this on Torygraph

Quote:
The Liberal Democrats may demand that Gordon Brown steps down as a condition for entering into a coalition government with Labour, The Daily Telegraph has learnt.

While this would please many within Labour, including some Cabinet ministers, the party’s rules and complex voting system mean that his departure would create a constitutional and political minefield.

Even if Mr Brown could be persuaded to stand aside, the process for electing a replacement is so lengthy that Labour would be without a leader, and, potentially, the country without a prime minister, for weeks or even months.

The poor performance of the third party has put paid to those ambitions, but Mr Clegg’s antipathy to Mr Brown remains. He made it clear during the campaign that he would find it impossible to work with him.

One Liberal Democrat insider said: “Gordon just doesn’t get it – he lost, he’s over, he’s not going to be prime minister any more.â€

While the Lib Dems are considering a deal with the Conservatives, many within the party are convinced that, given their policy differences, Labour remains the only viable coalition partner.

Mr Tebbit ain't happy

Quote:
What a mess! What an unholy mess! The unloseable election against the worst government in British history finishes in talks to establish the terms on which the losers’ party with only 23 per cent of the votes and only 57 seats might graciously allow the party with 36 per cent of the votes and 307 seats to form a government.

This was the election in which the poisonous legacy of Blair’s NuLab plan for the irreversible change of Britain claimed another victim.

This kingdom, the mother country of modern democracy, is now shown up as incompetent even in managing an election. Not since the Reform Acts of the 19th century have we turned away electors by the hundred from the polls nor been faced with widespread allegations of ballot rigging even in our capital city.

Is there a time limit on when they need to cosy up together and forget all the nasty things they said to each other before Thursday?