SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
muikabochi

09/10 Yuzawa season numbers (Naeba takes hit, others do ok)

In the newspaper today.

Yuzawa town -- 2,340,800 skiers/snowboarders at the 13 ski resorts in Yuzawa this season.

That is down 8.2% since last season, making it the lowest number since the bubble (and presumably that means since quite a bit before then, that point confuses me a bit!)

Naeba showed the biggest decrease, with numbers now 1/3 what they were at peak times.

8,000,000 skiers visited Yuzawa in the 1992/1993 season.

That season Naeba had 3,180,000 people visit the resort. This season the number for Naeba was 1,067,000 people.

Quote: "Why the numbers have declined so much, we don't know".

Naeba 13.7% down (17,000 people)

Kagura 23% down.

Gala saw increases (up 26,332 people)

Other areas in Niigata:

Minamiuonuma (yey!) saw increases of 2.5% (1,130,000 people)

Joetsu Kokusai - 383,550 people (up 16,540)

Ishiuchi Maruyama - 278,800 people (up 2,060)

Centleisure Maiko - 255,400 people (up 12,800)

Myoko saw a decrease of 3.5% (804,000 people).

Commentary saying that perhaps lower resorts near to IC's (new ETC discounts) doing better than places further away like Naeba/Kagura.

I think I've typed that all out correctly!

3,180,000 to 1,067,000 in less than 20 years.

Those are some numbers.

veryshocked

The increase for Gala is probably in some part due to the fact that it wasn't closed half as much because of winds this season.

Kagura down 23% wow.....do you know if they were down the previous year as well?

Maybe the bumper season meant that people didn't have to travel for 20mins or so from Echigo to Kagura to get good snow?

They could just hit the resorts in town.

I found Kagura pretty empty in mid Feb (not complaining!) but Naeba was like - who disturbed the ants nest? - buzzing!

I spent a day at Naeba in February.

It was a Monday, very quiet it was.

No complaints there.

Great snow too.

good conditions at all resorts nationwide meant naeba and kagura were hit bad...people could go anywhere and get good snow.... 3 years ago when it was a crap season, there was a line 300 meters long at the kagura ropeway every saturday by 11am! also naeba and kagura are difficult to get to from the station ( if ` difficult to get to ` means a bus ! )

Fair point but apart from just after the good snowfalls, Kagura almost always has the 'best' conditions in this area. I suppose lots of people don't think that is worth the extra effort if there is something closer or easier.

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up April when other places are closed.

Wasn't the expressway 1000 yen supposed to encourage people to go too?

And from what I gather, isn't Mitsumata just 10 minutes from the expressway, hardly a huge trek.

I remember going to Naeba in 1994. That was after the peak but it was still madly busy. I liked the place I wouldn't mind going back to it when it's not so busy actually.

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.