Lots of snow on the slopes --- but resorts closing...?

I see quite a few resorts even inthe popular places will be closing this coming weekend... for example, a fair few in Yuzawa.

There's still a lot of snow there though so any chance of them opening longer? Must seem strange closing when there's still complete cover.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No point continuing to open expensive to run lifts if there's no one on them. You just lose money and most Japanese resorts do enough of that even in peak season.

Quote:
There's still a lot of snow there though so any chance of them opening longer?

I would say almost no chance of that.

I went past Maiko and had a look the other day - counted 3 people on the lower slope there.
Hardly anyone at Ishiuchi Maruyama as well.
My guess is that they are probably happy and looking forward to closing up asap and stop incurring operational costs.

From now it will only be Gala and Kagura that get people going in this particular part of Niigata. I'd be interested to know how worth it it is for those places too, though Kagura can get pretty busy weekends into spring.

Most lifts at Japanese resorts are also really old, they'd be considered ancient at most other ski areas in the world. They are not very efficient and cost a lot to run. They need quite a few people on them to make it worthwhile running them.

It'd be nice if all resorts could lose as much money as necessary to keep lifts running as long as there is skiable snow but alas that is not the case.

It's the same thing with restaurants and bars in the resort. Here in Niseko many of the restaurants and bars are now closed until Golden Week when some will reopen for summer. It's pretty frustrating as this year we actually have quite a few people coming for Easter.

and how would you make the announcement that you're extending the season? Ads? Money........

Or perhaps put out an ad that you're opening for one last bash at the weekend. That may bring some punters.

Back in 05/06 I think it was Niseko did continue running lifts beyond Golden Week because of the excellent cover. Might have been on the next couple of weekends only, can't quite remember. They can do it if they get enough people to turn up.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
It's the same thing with restaurants and bars in the resort. Here in Niseko many of the restaurants and bars are now closed until Golden Week when some will reopen for summer. It's pretty frustrating as this year we actually have quite a few people coming for Easter.

It wasn't the restaurant/bar closures that was frustrating when we visited at Easter all those years ago GN, but the Gondola only being open on the weekend was a tad annoying when the snow was good.

I suppose it just seems such a waste to have snow and resorts not open to those of us whose home countries really battle to stay open for the advertised season.

Yes! I was just about to post that about Kagura - they did indeed last year extend and the Now reports will confirm that.

I think a place like Kagura can do that though, it is very popular and known for the long season and popular. Most other places will find doing that very difficult.

Not at all.

Get to Tokyo or Ueno Station however long that takes (30 minutes max?)

Shinkansen from Tokyo or Ueno Station to Echigo Yuzawa Station - 75-85 minutes or so depending on which one you get, then

Bus from Echigo Yuzawa Station to Mitsumata Ropeway - 15 minutes

One thing I've noticed in Japan, is that people here tend to do things only at the "correct" time. For example, people dont really hit the beach any time other than July/August, even though the weather may be great at other times. People cant believe it when I tell them I go swimming in the sea in Okinawa in October - its still 30 degrees with very warm seas at that time! A guy once told me that you shouldnt swim in the sea after 24th of August, because of the jellyfish - 23rd was fine, but 24th, absolutely not. I think there might be a bit of that with the skiing season too - January/February is the time to go, and nobody bothers after that, even though the snow might be great!

I had one of my best days this season just last week, and was disappointed to miss the 60 cms at Kagura today, due to work - wouldve definitely been there otherwise!

Kagura would probably be my number 1 recommendation for a day trip from Shinjuku btw.

Yep me too, I also had one of my best days just last weekend. There certainly are plenty of resorts that could easily go another week or two into April, but as was stated above cost of running nearly empty lifts, etc wouldn't justify keeping open longer.

Originally Posted By: Gary
One thing I've noticed in Japan, is that people here tend to do things only at the "correct" time. For example, people dont really hit the beach any time other than July/August, even though the weather may be great at other times. People cant believe it when I tell them I go swimming in the sea in Okinawa in October - its still 30 degrees with very warm seas at that time! A guy once told me that you shouldnt swim in the sea after 24th of August, because of the jellyfish - 23rd was fine, but 24th, absolutely not.

Gary there is a lot of that. I live down in Shonan, so for summer time its well famous for Tokyo people. The 1st year I was here (way back in 2002 my brother and some friends visited on the 29th of August. Of course we were at the beach, beautiful hot sunny weather, 4 days later we went back, 1st of September, still hot as, BUT no one was there.....my friends were dumbfounded when I told them that its "because its not summer". Of course the Japanese say its because of teh Jellyfish, but 3 days later??!! Japan functions with "Organised Fun", they get told when and where its fine to have fun. The beach is mobbed at this time, as soon as the allocated time passes.....empty
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: Gary
One thing I've noticed in Japan, is that people here tend to do things only at the "correct" time. For example, people dont really hit the beach any time other than July/August, even though the weather may be great at other times. People cant believe it when I tell them I go swimming in the sea in Okinawa in October - its still 30 degrees with very warm seas at that time! A guy once told me that you shouldnt swim in the sea after 24th of August, because of the jellyfish - 23rd was fine, but 24th, absolutely not.

Gary there is a lot of that. I live down in Shonan, so for summer time its well famous for Tokyo people. The 1st year I was here (way back in 2002 my brother and some friends visited on the 29th of August. Of course we were at the beach, beautiful hot sunny weather, 4 days later we went back, 1st of September, still hot as, BUT no one was there.....my friends were dumbfounded when I told them that its "because its not summer". Of course the Japanese say its because of teh Jellyfish, but 3 days later??!! Japan functions with "Organised Fun", they get told when and where its fine to have fun. The beach is mobbed at this time, as soon as the allocated time passes.....empty

I used to work in a Japanese office and we were not allowed to wear short sleeve shirts until May 1st or after Sept 30th.....even though October 1st could have been warmer!

That reminds me, I asked for my usual cold Soba noodles in the cafeteria at work at the beginning of September. I was told they werent serving them cold anymore. The lady added that she was surprised I had asked!!

Also, people often ask me if Im not cold wearing a T-shirt in October - even though its still 27 degrees!

Got to laugh at that kind of thing.

It just defies all logic and common sense doesn't it.

I get kind of disappointed when I hear people who I normally feel are intelligent saying stuff like that, but I suppose I should know by now.

It's as if it is not really a comment made up of the words that are in it, but simply a greeting with no meaning.

I actually love the way most Japanese stick to set dates for certain things. It means you can go to the beach or a camping area and almost have it all to yourself. Much better than being sandwiched in between thousands of others attempting to enjoy a nice weekend away.

Sometimes it looks strange but staffing issue is difficult - and expensive and so if not many people still skiing it is difficult to jusify. I know some resort where in past they open a little longer with main admin staff on lift duty etc.