How well do you understand your taxes?

Every year when I pay them and get the bills I have periods of frustration trying to work out how the numbers are worked out - it all seems so complex and however much I ask (probably the wrong people) I can never seem to get my head round it.

Do you understand where all the numbers are coming from? Or just accept and pay? (Or not pay in the case of your rebellious dudes!)

Previously when I have thought there might be something odd, it has always been 'explained' - and there has never been any mistakes. So they say. This year I have promised myself to simply accept and pay them and forget as quickly as possible.

Arrgghh.

But on topic, I tried understanding once but got way too confused.

The other year when the town taxes (?) went up a fair bit was a bit of a shock and I got it explained to me then.

I don't even try and understand, just pay and get on with living the good life. We still have income in Aus also from some continuing contracts through our landscape design business and investments but my mother-in-law is an accountant and takes care of everything at that end. I really dislike ever thinking about or concerning myself with anything to do with money.

• 2 weeks later...

My admin office at school does them for all of us, and theyre damn good so no problems there. My previous schools left me holding papers going WTF doh horse but not anymore. I usually get a bit back at the end of the year, but not much cuz theyre spot on. Its nice not having to pay the govt straight because its sent out by school so I dont have to do anything = biggrin

I have had some that did, and some that didnt. They sent the info to the tax revenue, so I just had to go pay it in installments - something like every 3 months??? Now, I just dont even see it nor have to deal with it, and thats just easier for me.