First of all, please excuse the massive report that is about to

follow. I hope you are sitting comfortably, good, then I'll begin.

thanks to SJ, the Vale (Paul and Andrew especially) and everyone else

for giving us info on this area.

So in Oct/Nov the weekly comps were up, and I though, what the heck,

let's enter. A few weeks later, I get an email from SJF saying you've

won the competition for the vale. My first response was, "competition,

what competition?", then it kicked in. Wow! So after a few phone

calls around to see who wants to come, well one that is, the wife and

I decided on this weekend, being my birthday, an anniversary for us,

and needing a break.

Saturday 27th Feb

Happy birthday to me....

Woke up bright and early, wow going to Niseko. Been a long time coming

as the one and only other time I was supposed to go, I overslept and

missed the flight, thus missing out on the Sapporo Snow Festival.

We had booked flights with Skymark airways (Haneda to Shin Chitose @

8,500yen one way, so 17,000yen return) and arrived at Shin Chitose

about midday or so. With me bouncing around like a loony. Eventually

found Skybus (the opposite end of the lounge from the Skymark arrival

lobby BE WARNED!), and managed to find it, even though there weren't

any signs in the air port. What a shitty way to start the holiday.

On the way, stopped at Kinoko no tengoku (Mushroom heaven) and was

overwhelmed by mushrooms.

brightrob_128.JPG

Then coming out of here, drove along a road and saw this in front of us:

brightrob_129.JPG

And then arrived here:

brightrob_133.JPG

And let's get this out of the way now - it's a sweet place to stay,

but it's a serviced apartment, and NOT a hotel. A very strange

experience, as usual I stay in ryokans, or minshokus, but this place

meant doing everything for yourself. No brekkie, lunch nor dinner. But

they had nice rooms:

brightrob_131.JPG

I managed to get some evening boarding in before heading off to dinner at J-sekka, just opposite the vale's entrance.

A great little restaurant with some interesting food. We ate the Gorgonzola cheese gnochi (freshly made too!) and also some lamb ragu gnocchi, whilst this bread was amazing.

brightrob_152.JPG

the vale at night:

brightrob_153.JPG

Sunday 28th Feb

breakfast time and time to try out the big buffet at the vale. Have to admit was let down by this, the only real selection was either a full English, but WITHOUT baked beans. (GO FIGURE!) or one choice of cereal. Also had to wait 15mins for a coffee, and all I wanted was a regular drip coffee. The let down of the weekend. Not much I hear you saw, but a man needs his coffee!.

Missus was on short skis and went down the baby runs so she could get some confidence. But when you have to look at "the Fuji of the north" it ain't that bad.

brightrob_155.JPG

that day was much better than Saturday due to the slight dusting overnight. We just mucked about, making sure the wife could use the short skis and get some confidence in her own ability. I did dive up to the top, only to find the gates I wanted to go in closed, so ducked in between trees.

We did stop for a liquid lunch, which would have made my old man happy.

brightrob_157.JPG

Unfortunately, and the story of our weekend, with me being on camera duty, didn't get much chance to take photos.

That night, we went to abucha 2 for dinner - ishikari nabe, negi daikon goma salad, beer, beer and some more beer.

brightrob_159.JPG

Monday 1st March

what a night can make.

brightrob_161.JPG

had about 20cms overnight at hotel level - that tree was bare the night before, so managed to get up for first tracks, only to find out that the lifts opened at 8:30 and not 8pm.

Oh ****.

So what would any self-respecting snowboarder do? I hiked up to the top of the the main slope, pissing off a few people as they "wanted" first tracks. Came down and fell in love with Niseko. Yes, nisekohakuba . Love them both. Also love Yuzawa too, but finally understood why people love Niseko.

All day long, there was powder if you were willing to look for it. Missus and I spent all day up the top, diving in out of the powder, me diving in and out standing up, wife diving in and out head first. Literally. Should have listened. Sorry for lack of photos but wife didn't take any.

For the last run of the day, I went to the very top and came down Large meeting the wife at Shirakaba, and doing a long run together, collapsing at the bottom, sheer tiredness.

that evening, managed to find Raku, a Japanese Izakaya, but slightly disappointing as most of the food on the menu came straight from the freezer and either deep fried or grilled. But some great sake at that place, and when I spoke Japanese to them, managed to get MORE sake.

Tuesday 2nd March

Went to kutchan to get the train back to Sapporo, something I have seen on tv, and at 2500yen or so, cheaper than the bus back. This is something that everyone has to do when they return back.

The train is tiny.

brightrob_165.JPG

One car and that's it.

Perfect for this.

brightrob_167.JPG

brightrob_166.JPG

As the train trundled along some spectacular views, Otaru came in the shot, and again, validated this slow, basic choice:

brightrob_171.JPG

The rest of the day was spent in Sapporo, shall spare everyone the pics, but a great holiday was had by both of us. have lots more pics to sift through, about another 400, but wanted to get this report done as it has been sitting waiting to be written.

Onsen was small but well kitted - had a sauna, an inside bath, about 4m by 2m, and an outside bath about 3m by 1.5m or so.

Didn't have anything in the restaurant except the breakfast, whilst the bar was pretty quiet, but good drinks.

I obviously don't know how these things work, but would someone asking for 2 weeks be given some sort of 'priority' over someone wanting 3-4 days. I presume they are more attractive customers.

In Europe, usually the self-serving apartments are weekly basis and they charge a cleaning up fee. Since tea and coffee is high priority that we bring our own especially when we drive up, and there are good bakeries around, breakfast is not something we like to pay extra for.

So, It really boils down to if there's a nice place to eat around since we cook better than most chefs.

I would be disappointed to eat something out of frozen food except pizza.

Depending on the kitchen they have, it might be a good idea to stock up on food in Sapporo and drive up and stay there and cook.

A great write up! Quite pithy, but that's British people for you. "Gimme me beans!"

Can you see your missus in the shower from the bed? Is the toilet in there too? They've gone for the typical modern interior look (muted monotone plus stacked textures), but it looks a bit drab in grey. Not so welcoming after a day outside in minus 15C. Great to hear you got some good snow. That's what its all about!

The train to Hakuba is similar. Its freaky when your on it and you can't see the tracks because of the snow. Its been on the news recently because the oldest carriages have just been retired.

kiha52_jnritoigawa.jpg

That bread is foccacia. If you have a bread maker and an oven (a big "if" for many in Japan), its pretty easy to make. Just make a pizza dough in the maker and bake it in the oven brushed with olive oil, rosemary, and coarse salt. What was the dip? Looks like nuts and fried onions.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Outside bath !
That train looks weird!
That mushroom place. I'm intrigued!

It serves all sorts of nice food....the slices of pizza are awesome. Had a couple of them on the way there. Did you go into the zoo thats there Rob?
Originally Posted By: quattro
The mushroom place I believe is in Kimabetsu. About 20 minutes or so from Niseko

It's actually in a place called Otaki. Kimobetsu town is about another 20-30mins drive on.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

It serves all sorts of nice food....the slices of pizza are awesome. Had a couple of them on the way there. Did you go into the zoo thats there Rob?

na, didn't go there as only had 20mins and the missus couldn't believe all the mushrooms, had to stop her from going crazy. :S . Did pick up some cheese from that place though as it was half price.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
What was the dip? Looks like nuts and fried onions.

The dip was some weird concoction, think it was mixed nuts, some curry spices but was very moorish.

thursday.... I don't know how much it costs razz so can't say if it is worth staying there or not.