• SnowJapan Admin

This is a strange one.

We have 1 computer in the office that is always on - it's the computer that bascially runs the webcam - but a few days ago it stopped updating when no-one was in the office. Anyway, in the office today and it seems the computer has just turned off completely... and refuses to turn on again. Completely dead, no signs of life at all.

Any ideas as to how to possibly revive it, or is this a terminal case?

sadface

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks Mitch I was onto that power supply thing.

Looks like a lot of hassle.

I was thinking we have another old XP windows machine perhaps I could just put the hdd from the dead computer into that? Don't laugh!

lol

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks.

I think it's gone.

Luckily all that was really on it was the webcam stuff, so if the hard disc is ok we can get back all of that.

Tomorrow we will try to get an old computer setup and hopefully it won't be toooo much of a drama.

LOL, And hit it too!

If it does not power up at all, most likely the power supply like MITCH stated above, it happened to one of my old comps once, I changed the power supply about 4000 yen and worked fine after that.

Take the cover off make sure you earth yourself first, pull the power supply plug off the mother board then plug in the power lead, and if you got a multimeter check if you got any power coming out of the leads, if not you got your answer.

It could be simply the power supply fuse has blown, if not then you would have to buy a new power supply.

Most computers power supply does not come with fuse it's so annoying. Just can't take the effort to put $5 for a low tech solution. One I was building mine, the power supply that came with the box blew up 3 times in a row. Talk about a cheap box. The guy who sold it gave me an upgrade supply, but I had to pay like extra $21 for the bus trip.

Could be a short circuit on the mother board. Accumilated dust of synthetic fibers, moisture, could do that.

It could be a stuffed up power up button.

If you change the HDD, then you'll have to either reinstall windows XP, or still won't work.

Best option try changing the power supply, it is really simple as long as you have a piece of paper and can remember what goes into which power cord.

• SnowJapan Moderator

Well the hard disc is working and I am currently taking a backup of the photos and videos from the webcam since November so glad about that. We will try to get the webcam software setup and going on another computer as quickly as possible. Fingers crossed that might be a relatively smooth process!