Well, my friend and I took the night bus to Yamagata Zao on a Friday night. This is something that I'll never do again. The seats were obviously made for children... knees pressed into the seat in front... shoulder to shoulder... at least I was in the aisle! Not enough beer in the world to make it a comfortable 8 hour journey (although I did try smile )

So we were both wiped out by the time we got to Zao at 7am.

Saturday 6th.

Very wintery! Super strong winds and heavy snow. I was actually amazed that they were running the lifts in those conditions. Decided that in our slightly drunken~hangover that we'd be better off hitting the onsen and a few beers (which we did in style)

Lodge Scole (listed on Snow Japan) is a great option for staying in Zao. Comfortable rooms, super friendly staff, great food and drinks (There is an awesome bar on the first floor). We were even treated to a live jazz piano performance as a special event. There is also a really great bath in the basement! Mao from Zao is super sweet!

Night view from Lodge Scole

black%20mountain_83.JPG

Sunday 7th.

Wintery! Winds reduced a bit but still heavy snow fall. Visibility was very low so we weren't greeted with any stunning views. Somehow we were able to hit up every run (including a 'private' piste that we hiked up to the top of at the end of the day!)

Snowy trees

black%20mountain_84.JPG

Jizo half buried in the snow at the top of the mountain. Very cold and very windy up there.

black%20mountain_85.JPG

Cleared up a bit in the Diamond Valley area

black%20mountain_86.JPG

Very tempting!

black%20mountain_87.JPG

View from the top of the 'private' run.

black%20mountain_88.JPG

Walking around town (ghost town)

black%20mountain_89.JPG

black%20mountain_90.JPG

Outside of Lodge Scole (blurry shot because of the beer I think!)

black%20mountain_91.JPG

I'll continue this later! It's beer o'clock!

Monday 8th (The day!)

Woke up to this sight out the bedroom window of Scole.

black%20mountain_92.JPG

The rest of the day was pretty magical. We hiked the peak three times and boarded inside the snow monsters. It was a very unique experience and the powder was thigh deep. It was very challenging because of drifts and having to pick your way through the trees. We even went off the back of the mountain once for a really steep super fun powder run. The day just wasn't long enough...

black%20mountain_93.JPG

black%20mountain_94.JPG

black%20mountain_95.JPG

black%20mountain_96.JPG

black%20mountain_97.JPG

black%20mountain_98.JPG

black%20mountain_99.JPG

black%20mountain_100.JPG

black%20mountain_101.JPG

black%20mountain_102.JPG

black%20mountain_103.JPG

black%20mountain_104.JPG black%20mountain_105.JPG

black%20mountain_106.JPG

black%20mountain_107.JPG

Our lines

black%20mountain_108.JPG

black%20mountain_109.JPG

black%20mountain_110.JPG

black%20mountain_111.JPG

Tuesday 9th

From winter paradise the spring conditions. Sadly it was raining on the last day we were there which is a shame because it snowed throughout the night. We were expecting some excellent conditions and instead we got soaked.

So, would I go back to Zao? Definitely a tough choice... my thoughts on Zao are that it's more of a resort to bring your family to because there are things to do aside from just boarding. Make it a holiday trip instead of thinking of it as a boarding only trip and you'll enjoy yourself much more. If I hadn't had 'the day' on the slopes I probably won't have enjoyed the trip very much. You have to be very careful about choosing lines off piste because there are countless terrain traps and flats. If you get a chance to come flying down through the snow monsters do it! Just make sure that it's a clear day because a lot can go wrong if you can't see! It's also very challenging so make sure you have the skills! The groomers in the Kurohime area were definitely my favourite because they a long and fast.

I guess I'd go back to Zao (and bring a pair of skis with me to tackle all those flats! wink )

Very nice, Black Mountain.

It is always a great feeling to get one of those days during a stay. If you come for 1 day and get bad visibility it can be frustrating. Like you said many people are here for the experience and not just for the skiing/snowboarding but I rate that high as well

friend

What a beaut day you had ! Top photos!

It's a grand place up there. When I was skiing, it was challenging and I was not disappointed. I was thinking, geez, I wonder how it will go on a snowboard and I don't know anyone who have done so. If you thought it would have been better with skis, I can dig that.