How common is it for Ski Patrol to come save people in the BC? The deaths, which is what resort owners worry about, mostly couldn't be prevented by Ski Patrol. If you get buried by an avalanche there's 30 seconds to dig you out before brain damage happens, quickly followed by death. Far too short a time for Ski Patrol to get there.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up this way I think it's mostly been people who've got themselves lost or injured from hitting a tree. You surely would never expect ski patrol to be able to assist in an avalanche rescue, as you point out it would always be way too late.

There are retrieval costs in that case.

Passport controls are simple once the government decides it is a go. Especially now with chipped Passports. LOADS of info goes on there accessible by border security.

If an individual owes the foreign country's government money (over a certain level) I would think barring re-entry until the debt is repaid would be a logical response.

The US does not allow any person with a criminal record in without a special visa - even if it is something simple like a 10 yr old fine/conviction for pee-ing on your own car tyre after a night out at the pub (yes I know - ridiculous huh?). It really isn't hard in practice. What would be hard is getting the nod to go ahead, and documenting and passing the decisions through government.

I do think that we need to take personal responsibility if we chose to leave the boundaries, so if the signs are up and the costs are clear ... bill people and enforce as you can. It's an awful lot better than being told you can not ride anywhere but on-piste isn't it.

How does the US do this though? I remember quite a big furore in Britain about this, as the UK Government maintained it did not hand over all its Criminal records over to the US. So how would the US Government know a person had a past conviction if they did not declare it? wakaranai

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

The US does not allow any person with a criminal record in without a special visa - even if it is something simple like a 10 yr old fine/conviction for pee-ing on your own car tyre after a night out at the pub (yes I know - ridiculous huh?).

Personally, I'm impressed that you managed to pee on your own car tyre MB. lol
Originally Posted By: spook
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

The US does not allow any person with a criminal record in without a special visa - even if it is something simple like a 10 yr old fine/conviction for pee-ing on your own car tyre after a night out at the pub (yes I know - ridiculous huh?).

Personally, I'm impressed that you managed to pee on your own car tyre MB. lol

It wasn't me! rollabout
Funny!! That would be a clever achievement ... I never even managed to do a roadside pee as a child without piddling in my shoes!!

No....I was talking to a lawyer at a Water Polo match, and she had just been trying to have Public Urination Convictions wiped from some young guys records because they were encountering trouble getting in to the US with a sporting team tour. Apparently it is not a 'Misdemeanor' here in Aus, and the records don't show what the conviction is for - so it could be for some hardcore thing like drug trafficking or manslaughter or whatever. She said it is a really huge problem as HEAPS of young guys get ticketed every weekend as they pour out of the pub.