I went out for a meal tonight at a local izakaya. Next to us was a group of young guys - early 20s I'd say. Anyhows, I noticed how they 'ordered' stuff. It really was orders as well.

Hora, kouri.

Biiru.

Shouting them out just the words. I suppose my Japanese is probably the opposite, maybe too polite, but it sure sounded rude.

How do you speak to waiters/waitresses? Bit of civility or just shout out the words at them?

It's a reminder to me how different societies are.

In Japan if you are a cook or restaurant owner, you belong to the serving class. None of this celebrity chief status shit. You are a servant and and that's it. You are to act like one.

There is also a part of the culture we call Iki 粋 and it needs to combine Iki æ¯ on both parties. It's like jamming in music. One says "Tzuu" and the other says "Kahh" if you get the drift. There is a line where you might be considered Namaiki 生æ„気 and both parties might think likewise as well as the people around hearing it.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
yep very different cultures Jynxx, that kind of attitude gets you your meal with extra gob, back home

lol

While I think people should be professional in all occupations - you can hardly blame someone for that can you - I know I would be tempted to not to wash the lettuce or something!

There's a lot of acting going on in Japan.

Not like the second hand car dealers or marketing types in the West but traditional, class orientated .... like the Butlers and Sargent-Majors in old England.

If you can hear the "what's not said but implies" "What you hear is not what it is" in Japan ...