Anyone else get caught in this last nght? We were coming back from Gunma and just about to get on when we heard the news that there was a 30km tailback (90 min wait) so decided to use route 17 and travel the local roads through Gunma, hopefully bypassing the jam and jump back on the expressway....didn't quite work out like that! we were only about 15-20 mins from Tokyo when we rejoined the Kan-Etsu and the tailback was lonegr, gonna take 2 hours to reach Tokyo!! omg The time now was 11pm and the drivers were knacked after being awake since 3am. So we decided to hunker down in a service area and sleep for 2 hours and let the jam work its own way out. Woke up at 1am, back on the road, no jam in sight, Tokyo in 20 mins back in fujisawa just over an hour after that. Thats one advantage of taking the train!!

About 5 pm, coming onto the Kan-Etsu from Minakami, bam, solid for 2 hours, all stop and go.

Got to Akagi Kohgen for dinner about 7:30, then another 4 hours to Nerima IC.

Makes ya rethink that "my car" transpo!

So, the real question is...what is the average time it takes you from Gunma to Tokyo and back?

(My answer: 2 hours from Nerima to Minakami in good conditions, average 2.5 to 3, coming back, the sky is the limit.)

Kanetsu often gets jammed up sunday afternoons from a little past Honjo, it starts to get more busy until you get close to Tokyo, then bam, that's it jammed.

Luckily Living out here I don't have to return to Tokyo on a sunday anymore, but I know it can be a nightmare, I used to get that problem everytime I came back from Gunma also.

• SnowJapan Admin

When I fist came here I used to live very close to the Yuzawa IC.

I remember often on Sundays from about lunchtime the traffic literally didn't move for 30 minutes at a time on the roads. There was one time when we looked out the window and then again 90 minutes later...and the same cars were lined up outside. I dread to think what the queues on the Kanetsu were like back then!

I moved to Shiozawa after 5 years and even then it had calmed down a lot and you didn't see the jams in Yuzawa like they used to be.

Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Dyna, two and a half hours from Minakami to Akagi Kogen SA???
Was there some kind of accident, or just weekend traffic?

Yeup, no idea why...just lots of cars.

It seems that Japanese drivers are not experienced driving fast in congested conditions, one hits the brakes and then a tailback develops for tens of kilometers.
Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Dyna, two and a half hours from Minakami to Akagi Kogen SA???
Was there some kind of accident, or just weekend traffic?

Yeup, no idea why...just lots of cars.

It seems that Japanese drivers are not experienced driving fast in congested conditions, one hits the brakes and then a tailback develops for tens of kilometers.

we asked the toll booth guy if there had been an accident and he said "no, just lots of people coming back from the mountains!!". It seems weird that if there is no accident, traffic can come to a standstill....you'd think everyone would just keep moving!

the phantom jam is a living animal. As the road is packed with loads of vehicles, the space between vehicles reduce. That makes you hyper sensitive. You could roll on at 30kph, see brake lights 2 cars ahead and you brake. And it filters down to those behind you. If you can watch the brake lights, they come like a wave rolling towards you.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
but they are only on the access and exit ramps of the kan-etsu, don't really interfere with the flow of traffic

but most are coming into Tokyo which is Nerima and not on the exit ramps

maybe it was thinning out by the time you got there.

Once i lost my expressway ticket and spent an hour at Nerima trying to convince them i only got on the expressway at Naeba