Even backpackers seem to be pretty expensive, like 3000/night. Are there cheaper places to stay that aren't listed online? Someone mentioned a place for 1000Y - do those places fill up quickly or could I show up and find a bed somewhere?

I'm coming from Korea and flights aren't cheap so I'm trying to save money any way possible.

How much can I expect to spend for a 3-day ski trip including lift, rental, cheap accomodation?

Any help greatly appreciated.

i would think 3000 is about as cheap as it's gonna get...

if you're coming all the way from kore just for a 3 day ski trip, would't it be possible to just go skiing in korea instead? or are the slopes no good?

3000Â¥ is a good deal. You might find something a few 100Â¥ cheaper but that is it. The 1000Â¥ deal at the base of Escal Plaza is just the floor (thin carpet over concrete) and there is not really any limit to the number of people who are going to be there. It can get pretty cramped. People are also coming and going throughout the night so it's really tough to get any sleep there. If you haven't got your own bedding (futon/sleeping roll and sleeping bag) it is definitely not worth it. It also doesn't even open until 10pm so you have to find somewhere to hangout until then... I haven't done it in at least 2 years so I don't even know if it's still offered now...

Anyway, if you can't afford 3000Â¥ to sleep how are you going to afford +4000Â¥ for lift tickets? Better rethink your budget a little.

Out of interest, how much does it cost Korea way?

I always thought the exchange rate was about 7 from a trip donkeys years ago. Its actually closer to 13. No wonder so many Japanese go now.

3000 yen is not expensive. although I dunno what the exchange rate with Korea is BUT comparing it to the major currencies then its pretty damn good. Obviously living here and earning yen, I'd be well happy to be paying 3k a night

You'll pay that much for a b'packer in Sydney.

Remember you gotta cook. I don't know if you don't mind doing that, and I don't know how expensive the supar-market is in Hakuba, or eating out.

Sometimes, meals included works out better.

OK I"m gunna spit it........................

What is it with these backpackers coming into Australia, they have just spent thousannds of dollars on air fares to the most beautiful places on this planet to spend f---ckinj thousands of hours watching mindless DVD;s in hostels

20k per person, right? That's is really good !

Yeah, sure Rob but we are not millionaires or people who don't mind spending the extra for that extra "feel good" aspect. Added value luxury. Then in some countries (including Japan, or Europe v.v) what is luxury is average, v.v.

Mind you , if I were paying a lot for crap and by spending a little more then it's acceptable, I'll cop that. It's shitty paying a lot for crap. That just translates to it's me that is not up to scratch.

Often it is said in skydiving, it's a cash sport. Can say that about golf or tennis or any sports clubs in Japan. Snowsports isn't too bad there. At least you don't have to pay membership fees.

i stayed in a twin room on my own in hakuba last year, 3 star, and it was 15000y per night incl breakfast.

It was comfortable, but small, and certainly wasnt luxurious compared to the standards I am used to and prefer.

20k per night with all the extras listed sound like a great deal, as long as you are happy with the quality of the accommodation.

Its gotta have a comfortable bed, otherwise boarding/skiing the next day isnt as good

There is also a place in hakuba called "Hakuba Alps Backpackers" and stayed there for a few days a few years back, but still ended up being quite expensive in total (3 nights, plus lift passes, plus food) which was about 30k in the end inc. busses.

1000yen is nigh on impossible, except if you book a massive stay at some place. I remember at the place I mentioned, there was an Australian, who booked for 1month stay, and paid 45000k for the month.