Companies that put you on their mailing list without permission

All I know is we send a newsletter and we get increased enquiries as a direct result which then results in increased sales. That's a good thing for a business. It costs us virtually nothing to get that increase in sales. That's also a very good thing for a business.

I doubt many of you claiming that receiving such emails is a great imposition on your lives own or manage a business...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I've already explained we can easily monitor how many people reply to newsletters and e-blasts. We can also monitor how many of the replies turn into actual sales. For marketing that basically costs us nothing the returns are better than pretty much all other forms of marketing we have. I've not denied possible downsides I've just pointed out that they, as far as we can tell, are nowhere near outweighed by the benefits.
Just because there's something that you find annoying doesn't mean it's not effective. I find television advertising very annoying and it's probably not very effective on me but companies worldwide spend billions of dollars on it because it is very damned effective.
Have not read what follows this yet but there you have it. That is advertising what works is what gets used, fair enough really...
Originally Posted By: igloo
I started gettig newsletters from a certain Niseko based company. Funny thing was, I have neve sent an email or sent off a form to the company - ever. There is a tiny unsubscribe link at the bottom of the mail. The first 2 times I clicked it and it took me to their website - nothing about unsubscribing.

That sounds like a jolly good business practice.
thumbsup

Of course apart from instances like igloos there, people have to find out about a company in the first place to get on the mailing list. So the list doesn't just magically appear from nowhere effor and other methods of advertising etc is needed. Once a company has one though, it is indeed a good tool.

But I don't think anyone in this thread is even suggesting otherwise. The point was whether people should accept being added to lists without their permission.

I don't see anyone here offering valid points that discount the others arguments. Each position is valid, you are only stating two different premises from which each side of the pros and cons emanate.

Adverstisers will use whatever ever product increases business and if this has the effect of annoying people then the simple equation of money in/money out will be used.

It is here to stay we can't get past it. I agree with those who don't like it and it does not suit what I would like to see happening but the ground swell of how successful it is why we we still (and will until the negative occurs) get advertising in any way shape or form that has a positive financial impact on those using it.

i don't have a problem with what Go Native is talking about. if i email a company (say snow accomodation) or a travel agent for a quote, and they stick me on their mailing list, i'm usually interested to see what they have on offer in their newsletters. if i'm not interested it takes me about 30 seconds to skim and trash the email, but every now and then something good pops up.

i guess i'm not bothered because it is a product i am semi-interested in. a decent company sending through newsletters every month or so is no problem. and unsubscribing takes almost no effort at al

mail from companies i've never heard off about products i'm not interested in, that's annoying

• 2 weeks later...