sand_3.JPG

sand_5.JPG

sand_6.JPG

I could tell by the queues for buses at Ikebukuro it was going to be pretty busy.

The snow conditions off the gondola at Goryu were pretty nice (hard packed powder), the light was flat. Down the bottom was fairly cruddy but good visibility.

The wind picked up early afternoon, closing the gondola. This meant the top off the mountain was closed off so queues for the bottom lifts grew fairly long (what I would imagine the weekend is like). It reopened again about 3:20 which was a relief.

Was a good day but I will wait until midweek next week before hitting the slopes again.

first pick was the queue for the buses at Ikebukuro in Tokyo, had never seen it so busy, but maybe that's because I usually go midweek, outside of the holiday season?

Really nice to see some Hakuba shots showing the resort. thumbsup

Much as I love the spectacular BC action shots, AND I DO LOVE TO SEE THEM! These pic's really give me more of an idea of what Hakuba is like for us average mortals. I am kinda excited to be heading there now biggrin THANKS!

You should be excited MB! Hakuba is a great place that you will surely enjoy! Are you taking a break from boarding today? Me and the gang are lazin' around the apartment today watching the snow pile up! The past few days have been some intense boarding so the break is well deserved! I hope papa isn't in too much pain from the accident yesterday!

• SnowJapan Admin

Good to see the trip report sand, thanks.

[We do seem to be having ongoing issues still with some people's PMs. Black Mountain, there's no reason why yours aren't on. Very sorry about that. We'll put renewed effort into that in the new year and try to get it all sorted proper.]

Glad you enjoyed it. Yesterday was the busiest day of the season so far. Today it has been snowing heavy all day - should be good for those looking to get first tracks tomorrow!

Looks pretty with the lights on. We were at Happo yesterday, but just playing with the kids. It was busy, but not all that busy for New Year. We still got parked for free right by the slopes.

I know some guys who drive the shuttle buses and they say Japanese numbers are down. They reckon its people keeping out of the cold to avoid catching swine flu. I guess its the same everywhere, so get yourselves out. Its coming down hard now.

There's always something isn't there! lol

Take your pic:

- flu

- too much snow

- not enough snow

- too cold

- the economy

- earthquakes

- endaka

- auntie flossy not being well

- not good enough snow

- etc

oh i have some fantastic photos once i get home! currently at Shinjuku and i`m leaving for australia tommorrow :(.

its been a fantastic trip and wish i wasn`t leaving.

Hakuba has been amazing the past week and abit, the snow was very light and powdery even at happo-one base there was a day where there was so much powder (20cm) worth that you had trouble picking up speeds and the beginners couldnt even move.

if your headed to hakuba, you will enjoy it! i promise you smile

question, whats up with all the god damn mogle runs!! in Australia they groom them out. they are very tough on the leggs and i was terrible at them, but slowly got the hang of them.

Originally Posted By: thursday
dunno. I saw steeper outside my hotel room in Tomamu. I don't know the angle. I was in a tower block and I had to look up.

If you checked a toppo map you would see that Tomamu is no where steeper than Goryu/47. Muri. I just wish that the trees would be more opened up there like Tomamu has done.
Originally Posted By: thursday
dunno. I saw steeper outside my hotel room in Tomamu. I don't know the angle. I was in a tower block and I had to look up.

I was surprised that it is the steepest resort run in Japan (if there's any truth in it), but I do know that it has some gnarly moguls and it is a convenient way of dodging crowds on the resort's most crowded slope.