I'm a newbie on here and have been looking at the forums since hubby and I decided that Japan 2010 would be our next big trip overseas (we are in Sydney Australia). Hakuba seems to be our choice for our first trip to Japan, specifically GORYU - 47. We are looking at staying at the Aqua Alpine Hotel. My main question is getting from the international airport in Tokyo to Hakuba. From all of my research on the internet it looks like the best way is by bullet train. Does anyone know the details, where do we get the train from? How long it takes? Do we need to change trains/lines? How much it costs etc. etc. It's near on impossible to find the timetables on the internet, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has stayed at the Aqua Alpine Hotel I'd love to hear from you?

Would you recommend skiing at Goryu, hubby and I are experienced skiers in Australia and are looking forward to the challenges that we know the Japanese snow will give us?

Cheers in advance.

Hi BeeBeeDee and welcome.

You get the bullet train (shinkansen) from Tokyo station (or Ueno depending on if you get the Narita Express or the Ueno Skyline from Narita - the latter is cheaper). Both of those take about an hour, then the bullet train takes about 90 minutes to Nagano. Then it's a bus ride to Hakuba.

So:

Narita > Tokyo/Ueno

Tokyo/Ueno > Nagano

Nagano > Hakuba

[Don't the hotel give you details btw??]

Might want to see this thread:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/328648/1.html

TJ OZ said:

Narita to Tokyo Narita express - 57 minutes - sometimes a few extra stops may take a few more minutes

Tokyo to Nagano Shinkansen - 92 minutes.(stop all stations may take 110 minutes)

Nagano to Hakuba Bus - 60 minutes (car transfer about 45 minutes)

hi beebeedee another option is a private transfer. we did that this year family of four picked up at airport and dropped off at our accom in echo land hakuba. we loved hakuba 47 & goyu but found them very busy on the weekend.happo one is great also its abit more challening. we ran out of time to try the other resorts.have a great time ino you will.rosco

Thursday,

Well, I'm Niseko'ing twice in January, then Rusutsu'ing for a few days late in the month. In February, I'm Rocky Mts'ing at Salt Lake & Sun Valley. Haven't made any definite plans yet for March, although I suspect the higher elevations in Nagano will appeal more unless winter hangs around in Hokkaido longer than in the past couple of seasons.

Also if anyone has stayed at the Aqua Alpine Hotel I'd love to hear from you?

would love to stay there as Steven Bradbury is my favourite athlete and co - owner of the place ! - check him out on youtube if you don`t know who he is - but I guess he is famous in Syd- Have a great trip

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
Thursday,
Well, I'm Niseko'ing twice in January, then Rusutsu'ing for a few days late in the month. In February, I'm Rocky Mts'ing at Salt Lake & Sun Valley. Haven't made any definite plans yet for March, although I suspect the higher elevations in Nagano will appeal more unless winter hangs around in Hokkaido longer than in the past couple of seasons.

wow. Full calendar. See you in Niseko late Feb if you decide to spur it.

Hi BeeBeeDee,

There is now a new direct bus service from Narita Airport to Hakuba. It depends when your flight arrives though as it only leave once a day. I have never taken this bus, I think it only started this year.

My wife and I always take the NEX (Narita Express) from Narita Airport to Tokyo station and the take the shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagano. From there we take the bus to Hakuba station. It is all pretty easy to do, but give yourself plenty of time between trains at Tokyo station if it is your first time there. You can check train schedules at http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ . You can buy all the train tickets at the JR Train ticket office the train station under Narita Airport. You do not normally need to book a seat on the bus from Nagano-Hakuba, although it might be a differnt story on a friday night.

Enjoy......