Hello everybody.

I am closely watching the snow situation in Hakuba.

At the moment there is 30 cms of snow and the resort is closed.

The thing is that 3 of us are flying to Japan from Europe to board over the Xmas time.

We hope that there will be more snow in Hakuba by then...

Should we be worried?

Does anyone know when the resort will be open (time of snow depht wise)?

Should we make some drastic replanning (headaches inevitably involved) and try to head to Hokkaido instead?

Appreciate your comments.

Many thanks!

Eugene

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one knows when the resort will open - other than as soon as possible when there's enough snow.

Snow is forecast in the next few days up to and beyond the weekend. The situation will probably and hopefully look quite different by Sunday. Fingers crossed. There's 10 days yet before Christmas, I think you'll be ok.

Like iiyama just said, the places will open as soon as they can.

I have heard (though I don't know if it is true) that 47 and Tsugaike will open small areas up tomorrow. Very in/un(?)substantial, but they want to open and will when they can. So it all depends on that snow and right now the forecast is promising for the coming week. Look at the nice numbers on the Happo page on SJ:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=65

Wait a bit longer and see how things pan out but hopefully there will be smiles on faces by the weekend.

Worried about lack of snow?! Have you seen the weather forecast for Hakuba? Well over a metre of snow predicted to fall before the end of the weekend! I dont think Ive seen such a forecast in the last two or three years!

Originally Posted By: Gary
Worried about lack of snow?!

Well considering there is very little snow now, of course it is a very real concern.

Originally Posted By: Gary
Well over a metre of snow predicted to fall before the end of the weekend! I dont think Ive seen such a forecast in the last two or three years!

I have.

And, I seem to recall people scoffing at forecasts - remember thats what they are, not what will definitely happen.

Its true, it is only a forecast and it is very difficult to predict the exact amounts that a particular resort will receive, however, usually when there is a large amount of snow predicted over a wide area, they usually get it right, if not the exact depths. If it was a week and a half away, I'd have my doubts, but as the predicted dump is now only two or three days away, Im pretty optimistic!

Big snow coming up in the next couple of days for sure now. Most of the runs should be open by Christmas. Offpiste depends on the line, but probably not by Christmas. Not enough snow to push down the brush. You could always hire a guide and go bc for something better.

For anyone coming at New Year, I'd be praying for snow at other resorts to stop more Japanese coming to Hakuba.

I wouldn't be so sure about the resorts along the Venus Line, Fujimi Panorama ... places like that. They all in between Nagoya/Osaka and Hakuba.

Unless you know from experience who forecasts line up with actual weather at such resorts....

Well he mustn't have understood what I originally wrote. It seems like you can't mention Hakuba anymore without people making lots of assumptions. It's a pain in the arse to have to explain yourself every single time.

If there are lots of Japanese in Hakuba at New Year, there will be big lines at the popular lifts. Some, like the 47 Quad, have no alternatives. Expect big queues.

I did mean those places SKI. Perhaps I didn't clearly get Mr Wiggles point. My point being that there seems to be a whole lot of major places primed for opening very soon. That's all.

Quote:
It seems like you can't mention Hakuba anymore without people making lots of assumptions.

What's that all about then? Dunno, seems more to me like some Hakuba-related people are way too sensitive and see things that ain't there and enjoy jumping down throats at the slightest mention of anything that isn't overwhelmingly positive about the place. Seeing that isn't really getting to be a pain in the arse, but it is curious. Lack of snow must be getting to you.

You don't need to explain yourself every single time, whatever that means. confused

Personally I ain't got nothing against Hakuba or anywhere else. I'll be there hopefully 4 or 5 times this season and plan to enjoy it very much.

wave

last week, Mr SKI insinuates I wanted Niseko to fail because I said Niseko apartments weren't a definite buy. Retraction with the words "oh but Hakuba people are like this".

this week, I warn people (who hadn't asked) that New Year in a bad season can bring even longer queues in Hakuba than normal due to more Japanese folks coming and getting on the quad lifts two at a time. Retraction with the words "oh but some Hakuba people are like this"

In either case, if the other person hadn't read some "Hakuba uber alles" agenda into my posts, I wouldn't have had to explain myself. That's all.

If you search the archives, I think you'll find the person who raised the issue of a worrying increase in winter rain in Hakuba was me. A "Hakuba related person" clearly oversensitive to "slightest mention of anything that isn't overwhelmingly positive about the place".

Picking parts of quotes from different people in different threads talking about different subjects is all very well, but out of context they often take on whatever meaning a person wants them to have.

Quote:
last week, Mr SKI insinuates I wanted Niseko to fail because I said Niseko apartments weren't a definite buy. Retraction with the words "oh but Hakuba people are like this".

I really don't remember doing that, so it's difficult to respond.

Care to show me/us?