A new As I Ski It feature, "Exploring Tohoku...on your skis", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/as-i-ski-it-11.html

"Pity poor Tohoku, it is all but ignored by the rest of the world, and even the rest of Japan. Tokyo is the worlds arguably most developed city. It is also the economic and pop cultural hub of Asia, with the city coffers larger than that of 75% of the countries in the world. Osaka, or the "anti-Tokyo", plays a wonderful second city, was recently in the running for its own Olympics, and much like the second city of the United States, a legendary "yakuza" or gangster haven."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/as-i-ski-it-11.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

7-11, Ive managed to hit the slopes 30 times this year, may get one or two more times in, may hit the summit of Hachimantai(no lifts, but skiable snow, and lots of it still up there). Been a good winter but not two the legendary status of 1999-2000 and 2000-2001. Dean

Cheeseman, what exactly do you mean by cheese? Are you taking about Japanese Ski fashion? We have that in abundance, but again maybe not to its lengendary level of the past few years, it was a tad subdued. Are you talking about the Dairy Product? Iwate is home of Koiwai Farms which has some decent cheese, killer yoghurt drinks, and good dairy and farm products. However being a native Vermonter I will take time to plug the merits of my homestates "rakunoo meibutsu". Cabot Farms Cheddar Cheese and Ben and Jerry`s Ice Cream(which sells in Japanese 7-11 convienence stores). Peace, Love and Butterfat, Dean

Nagoid, Im in Nishine Cho, nestled in at the base of Iwate San. Nishine is a great place to work, eat cheap and greasy Japanese food, but the nightlife is um...well....Im lucky its only a 35 minute drive to Morioka. However my apartment is exactly 20 minutes by car from Appi, one can hit Shimokuora and Hachimantai Resort in about 45 minutes. Shizukushi(my fave in Japan!!!!!) ,Hachimantai, and Amihari, are all within 90 minutes drive(a little more than an hour for each), provided I do not get lost on my way(happened twice this winter). Dean "Hookoo-onchi" Ruetzler

Fattwins, Can you talk the wife into coming up to Hachi? Even if she doesn`t want to hit the slopes, Hachimantai is a very famous onsen resort....It may provide a decent diversion while you get to hit the Pow?? Dean

Dean, you'll get used to cheeseman and his constant cheese related posts. I think every last one of his posts has something to do with cheese. Normally about its nutrious value.

In fact i think you may be the first person to answer one of his cheese questions seriously!

The wife can ski and keep up with the any girl in powder. she is only ever 30 secs behind me. she likes to see my tracks so she knows where to go. We got here a pair of fat skis and that just jumped her level up. The prob is she is a salarywoman and she has a pretty good job here.

Well coming from a state where 75% of the revenue coming into the state comes from skiing and dairy products(read cheese). I may take cheese a bit more seriously than the man on the street. I didnt take him too seriously my toungue was lightly planted in my cheek when I replied. But coming from the state that won the European Cheese finals in 1998(kind of like a Tanzanian skiier winning the FIS world cup), I realize chesse can be very important. Swiss Chee-rs, Dean

Fat twins, as they say "show me the money". Probably better to stay in Kyoto. Do you wives "salary-MEN" colleagues know her true gender? Ha Ha! Seroiusly, in Iwate a flent English speaking female friend of mine who worked Fuji Bank Atlanta and New York can do no better than an OL job here in Iwate. "Danson Johi"(rampant sexism), is strong in these parts. If you wife has a god job there... enjoy the weekends on the slopes....Dean

The north contains some treasures. Id like to claim invention of the "Shinjuku on Snow" line about the lines and crowds at southern resorts, but I can not it was a friend visiting Echigo Yuzawa. But the longest line I`ve ever had to wait in Tohoku this side of the Zao and Hakkoda tramways was less than 10 min. That in itself makes it worth it to come "Explore Tohoku". Dean

Since I was relying on information that was passed on, I welcome elaboration. Does it really have short lines? How is the snow? Shold the chance for me to go on a similar trip to the ones my friends took be accepted. Yoroshiku, Dean

You should try it. I think gg was just pointing out that lines compared to 10 years ago are so much smaller. Mid week resorts are very not busy, even places like Naeba.

Its a mixed blessing the economic doldrums of Japan aren`t they? Well one fring benefit is, like you say, the lack of crowds compared to ten years ago, and unlike in the States, the ticket prices are the same as they were back then too(rougly). Now if only i could get that shink ticket to cost a little less...... Dean

Thanks Alot, with so many other notable places in the country Tohoku can be overlooked, even by the Japanese themselves. However, it has sone very nice places to visit ski areas and more.... It is worth the extra transportation hardship for sure. Dean