The airport staff scratched my laptop

I thought about putting this in the laptops are programmed to die thread but thought this deserved it's own.

OK coming through customs and the old "you've got to take your laptop out to go through screening" routine. Staff are rough and there's a big scratch on the top casing now. What to do? I was in a bit rush and put in a complaint but am wondering what I can do now. It was 100% because the staff were not taking care of my machine when moving it into those carton things and I'm not happyhappy.

grandpa

When I travel with my Indian friend they would always assume he was a terrorist, figure they can tell the difference between Mormons and Indians at the SLC airport. It's not exactly a secret when everyone lined up for a personal search has dark skin.

Can work to your advantage. A cop pulled him over after he had been riding shotgun with Mary Jane and when asked if he responded "Sir it is against my religion to smoke weed."

ah...sleeper train.

I asked the conductor if it was safe and a good idea to leave the backpacks/laptop bag, jackets etc under the seat (which lifted up) while we went to the dinner car - I didnt want stuff pinched - wallets, passports, blah blah. He said "yes yes very safe - you put - is OK"

While we were at dinner - which cost us a FORTUNE and we didnt eat because baby bear got ill and I had to rush him back to the loo's to hurl....the conductor 'made up' our beds. The meant folding the bottom 'seat' down into the space below. He removed our back packs, but left my laptop bag (all nice and padded) and our ski jackets under there though. I never thought anything of it as I assumed there was space under there.

No.

Wrong.

The guy was a moron.

The bag and jackets got squisho-ed.

When we got to the hotel in Milan I opened up my laptop to see a big splash of black across my windows blue screen....WTF!

Then I worked out that the charger for my phone was also in the bag and when pressure was applied the metal bits that stick into the power socket pushed down on the outside of the laptop screen and caused the damage - it also broke one of the pins off the charger plug. So I instantly became sans communication - no laptop/no phone.

Freaked me RIGHT out! lol

When i was working for an office removal company in Sydney, we were moving this computer company, they had about 40 brand spanking new flat screen monitors that we packaged up in the correct padded bags.....when they got to the new office something like 25 out of 40 had big dirty scratches down em....company was not pleased and neither was the boss...our company footed the bill (well the insurance)

people who use really expensive LV luggage to go on trips. They are morons. Expensive luggage is targetted for

1) theft

2) vandalism

I just don't get it. If you have a lot of money, you DO NOT want to advertise it. Great way to get ransomed.

Originally Posted By: thursday
people who use really expensive LV luggage to go on trips. They are morons. Expensive luggage is targetted for

1) theft
2) vandalism

I just don't get it. If you have a lot of money, you DO NOT want to advertise it. Great way to get ransomed.

Interesting Segue!

FWIW I agree with you.
Decent, secure but not ostentatious baggage is a good start.
Bringing your vid camera/camera/watches and jewelery in your hand luggage is advisable too. It was no coincidence that the ONE of our 6 bags that went permanently AWOL despite the little barcode thingo's was the one containing Christmas Gifts, Video camera, and my blasted Suunto Watch! And it was by no means a LV bag or anywhere near there - just a basic unassuming hard shell.
Originally Posted By: thursday

1) theft
2) vandalism

Absolutely.

Is there any way to claim when things like the scratched laptop happen?

Seriously ... I think I am laid back, laconic....umm...LAZY.

I know we are supposed to photograph our jewelery and all the things we take when traveling so we can document and claim blah blah blah ... but who can really be bothered!

My philosophy is a bit like russian roulette....play the game and sometimes you get burned - there is an acceptable limit of loss - suck it up and get on with it.

But as I said. I am lazy.