If you could choose just one ski resort in all Japan for a total beginner...

There just seems to be too much choice in the Hakuba valley, how can you possibly make a choice?! Just come to Niseko where there are excellent english speaking ski schools and plenty of nice beginner slopes, including the awesome covered magic carpets at Hanazono great for the total beginner! biggrin

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
I thought the slopes at Shiga Kogen were perhaps not the BEST for total beginners. Fairly busy with other people. Tsugaike certainly looked more the thing.

Yes that is a boring beginners area at Nozawa. Only looked, didn't look like fun to me!

Really? There are some areas that receive more traffic than others, but I wouldn't say its busy... maybe it's just different perceptions. I've fallen over at other resorts and nearly been run straight over. Where as I had to get my brother to bail me out of a powder hole on the Ichi Family slope and neither of us had anyone within 10m of us... that's plenty of room in my books.. but as I said, maybe its just how I see things.

I'll let you know how we go, because we'll be taking a mate who is a total beginner (can't even stand up on a long skateboard) to SK in Feb..

Well yes different people will have different feelings about what is busy.

Take that place I mentioned above. Last season I went on a weekday are there were seriously no people there. I stopped on one course and had to wait about 5 minutes for anyone to come down past me it was that empty. I was actually worried about the possibility of having an accident and no-one finding me! As pretty as the views were and as fine as the snow was and the weather was, somehow it just didn't feel right. Not enough people.

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ

hijack

following the lines of many threads lately.
Any other choices for best beginner areas.

Dude, relax. It's a big country and there are many options, so the more suggestions and opinions the better.

Jeez. A few on here seem to be a little on edge with a mini critisism. I am totally chilled. Could see this thread going nowhere. How about a bit more snow talk than some of the crapola that should be in general.
Floodgates -> <-

Police!

Remember, chaps, only 'pure' talk of snow in the snow section. Other comments or silliness not allowed. naughty

I hope very much hope that you are also good boys and girls at the skiing resorts and never go to any places that you should not. naughty

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Police!

Remember, chaps, only 'pure' talk of snow in the snow section. Other comments or silliness not allowed. naughty

I hope very much hope that you are also good boys and girls at the skiing resorts and never go to any places that you should not. naughty

bugger!
Originally Posted By: d'k tahg
If you could choose just one ski resort in all Japan for a total beginner.......where would you choose?

Regardless of location and getting there etc.

I would be interested to hear, thanks.

Most places are pretty good and "crowded" in Japan can just mean less than totally deserted. It kind of depends on how fast you learn as well. You mightn't be a "total beginner" for long.

If you're a snowboarder, classic beginner ski runs may be too flat for you. Flats are difficult on a snowboard, because speed makes you stable. On a flat, its easy to catch an edge and topple over, and then a nightmare to get going again if you do. On some days, the bottom of Tsugaike and that run at Nozawa would fit in this category. The link between Goryu and 47 too. There's a massive long flat at the bottom of Kiroro. Maybe bottom of Hanazono too, but that memory is a bit hazy. I did the run once and that was enough.

Flats are okay on skis because you can push with your poles.

If you want lessons in English, I would go to a place with English instructors and prebook the lessons.

For a "total beginner", you could do worse than head out to Nozawa Onsen! There are plenty of beginner slopes there and the place is very nice as well!

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles

If you're a snowboarder, classic beginner ski runs may be too flat for you. Flats are difficult on a snowboard, because speed makes you stable. On a flat, its easy to catch an edge and topple over, and then a nightmare to get going again if you do. On some days, the bottom of Tsugaike and that run at Nozawa would fit in this category...

The link back from Furano zone to Kitanomine would fall into this category as well, as it is pretty flat and requires far too much pushing, so it is easier to unstrap and walk (Previous snowboarding knee injury makes pushing for too long painful). There is probably a way to tree bomb it, but I didn't have enough experience to do that..