I'm new to the forums so I should probably start out by saying hi and introducing myself. My name's Josh and I'm leaving for Japan from Korea tomorow. Eventually I'm going to be making my way up to Hokkaido (starting November 21st) and I'll be there through the 25th.

Here's my question. Where's the best place for early season riding. I had planned on going to Niseko, but I'm worried there wont be snow. I think it's even raining up there now :( What do you guys think? If Niseko's out what about Furano? Any advice is appreciated

Thanks guys and see you on the slopes!

Snow is expected to start falling in Niseko on Monday and continue through much of the week. There may be enough to get a lift or two running by next weekend, we'll have to see. I'm heading up to Kurodake next weekend myself and I think it's guaranteed it will have a good cover due the extra height. Furano should also get a reasonable amount of snow through the week. Maybe just keep checking the reports through the week at make a decision last minute based on conditions. Finding accomm so early in the season shouldn't be a problem.

@ JYNXX - I'm a boarder. I just got the Burton Vapor which I was afraid to take to Japan, but that board sealed the deal.

I'm landing @ Chitose.

@ Go Native. It sounds like I should be counting out Niseko and looking to Furano or something more out of the way like Kurodake (which by the way looks pretty cool). What do you think?

Thanks

Take a look at the Niseko webcams today.

Judging from the weather forecast for this week, today will be the last day we see that lower slope at Hirafu uncovered by snow, hopefully for at least 5 months...

Good luck Koopa, you may find your timing's spot on.

Keep us updated, GN!

Cheers

SdS

Originally Posted By: freeskeeze
So Furano has snow? I am basically jonesing to ski something this weekend and will go where it is open. I am open to anywhere in Japan that is accessible and am even considering whistler.

you do realise that Whistler ISN'T in Japan! wink
Originally Posted By: -30deg
Furano is planning to open on Nov 21. That will depend on what snow mother nature can deliver this week.

It may be just me, but today is the 19th of November. And there is no snow at Furano yet.

Fingers crossed.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: freeskeeze
So Furano has snow? I am basically jonesing to ski something this weekend and will go where it is open. I am open to anywhere in Japan that is accessible and am even considering whistler.

you do realise that Whistler ISN'T in Japan! wink

No that's right, but they do have a lot of snow though.

Well thursday, don't forget the massive time difference. The time you'd arrive on the hill would probably be before the time you left Japan. Coming back would be a pain though... The cost performance of a trip like that would be stupidly expensive though... the CAN$ is pretty strong right now and Whistler is a massively expensive place...