ACDC concerts 2010 Saitama/Osaka - anyone going ?

Originally Posted By: gurgle

I used to think I was too highbrow for ACDC, but now I reckon it would be a laugh......

I used to think I was too highbrow for ACDC, but tne I realized I was missing the point.
thumbsup for ACDC.
Originally Posted By: ger
Originally Posted By: gurgle

I used to think I was too highbrow for ACDC, but now I reckon it would be a laugh......

I used to think I was too highbrow for ACDC, but tne I realized I was missing the point.
thumbsup for ACDC.

Spot on thumbsup

Two things about ACDC I like:

First, they still write their own music, unlike bands like Aerosmith who co-write their songs or just sing other people's songs. Old geezers who've sold out a long time ago.

Second, ACDC have two guitarists who often play the same or very similar lines. That might seem dumb or totally amaturish. Why have both guitarists play exactly the same thing??? But they're very deliberate about it and get awsome guitar tone. Listen to Black in Black in from the early 80's for example. The guitar tones are HUGE, more like post-grunge heavy rock than anything from that era. As simple and stupid as their music was and is, they were way ahead of their time in that respect. ...Plus, Gibson guitars thru Marshall amps. What's not to love?!

I've always been a huge AC/DC fan, though I admit I don't listen to them much anymore. I'd really like to go, especially considering I live close by in Saitama, but I can think of a lot better ways to spend the 13,000yen or so I'm sure it costs >_<

AC/DC are the bomb. Their last record was really explosive and considering their age!

I use to get home and drum along to them in the old days.

If I had been able to get a ticket in OZ I would have gone for sure... Probably their last tour.

Quote:
I'm just talkin' about the future

Forget about the past

No offence big Bri, but I think the fans would like to hear the past, at least twenty-five years ago if possible.

Originally Posted By: ger
Two things about ACDC I like:

First, they still write their own music, unlike bands like Aerosmith who co-write their songs or just sing other people's songs. Old geezers who've sold out a long time ago.

Second, ACDC have two guitarists who often play the same or very similar lines. That might seem dumb or totally amaturish. Why have both guitarists play exactly the same thing??? But they're very deliberate about it and get awsome guitar tone. Listen to Black in Black in from the early 80's for example. The guitar tones are HUGE, more like post-grunge heavy rock than anything from that era. As simple and stupid as their music was and is, they were way ahead of their time in that respect. ...Plus, Gibson guitars thru Marshall amps. What's not to love?!

I think AC/DC are well past it regarding new tunes, but Aerosmith are complete sellouts for doing rock ballads like "miss a thing". Its Celine Dion level.

As for the second point, I think Malcolm is vital to the band. Classic era AC/DC has a bit of a boogie in there and the rhythm guy keeps the tune locked in the groove. When Angus goes off on the solo in “Back in Black†for example. I think that tune needs another verse though to come back and really lock it down. A fair bit of 70s and early 80s rock is pretty groovy. "Jailbreak" or "Boys are Back" by Thin Lizzy or the poppy stuff by Led Zep. "Misty Mountain Hop", “Houses of the Holyâ€, “Trampled Underfootâ€, etc. You got to those grooves going.

A lot of (hard) rock guitarists take technicality to a boring nerd level. I prefer people who keep it simple but lock it down. Even with interplay between guitars, you can make fantastic sounding tunes by layering super simple riffs. “Marquee Moon†and the entire Pixies back catalogue being notable examples.

When I went to U2 concert a couple or three years ago it was all standing only!

AC/DC rocks! I used to listen to them a lot, don't really listen to them now, but still like their music and would be great to go to their concert, if it is anything like the used to be in the UK, your head will still be ringing the next day, they are louuuuuud! Great!

Bond Scott was the man! (prolly an arsehole in real life) but definitly made the band what it is today.

AC/DC Highest-selling album by any band and the 2nd highest-selling album in history, behind "Thriller" by Michael Jackson

Here's clip of the boys playing long way to the top on a truck going down Swanson st. Melbourne in 1975. Reminds me of my youth and still high on my ipod playlist.