And you had a JR rail pass that would take you anywhere, what would you do for that month?

31 days on niseko? Or just spread it around a bit? Im asking for selfish reasons, but i dont want my selfish reasons to dictate the scope of this thread so indulge yourself. Where you going and if you can, why?

Im personally thinking few days at hakuba, then pop to myoko for 2 days. Maybe sit around nozawa for a day or two, then head to tokyo/hamamatsu for a few days to see friends. After that nip up to zoa for three days, and then spend some time (6 or so days) in hokkaido before coming back to fukuoka and grabbing the ferry back to korea. Sound like a plan? What would you do with a 21 day rail pass and enough cash to afford 21 days riding plus 21 days accomodation if you could do anything?

I would probably make my way up to Hokkaido, with stops in some of those Tohoku places on the way.

I'd prefer 2 lots of 2 weeks or even better 4 one-week periods. Can I do that? wink

Before though I'd spend ages thinking and planning.

gimme some names! Furthest north i ever went in my four years in japan was saitama (that pretty much put me off going north for life). I know the nagano district fairly well, but was really looking for more ideas. Which resorts specifically in tohoku would blow me away. Id be happy to cut down the nagano side if it meant something a bit different smile

I would probably spend a week in the Hakuba area hitting up Goryu, 47, Tsugaike, Cortina etc. I'd spread 10 days over Myoko (Akakan/Onsen, Suginohara), Nozawa and Shiga Kogen depending on the conditions at the time. I'd spend the rest of my time in Hokkaido at Niseko, Rusutsu etc. Where I start would really depend on when my month started. If its from the end of December, I would start in Hokkaido. If the end of the season I would end in Hokkaido... and the middle of the season it wouldn't really matter. I'm the kind of person who prefers to really get into a place so I wouldn't go to all those far-away, out-of-the-way places in Tohoku or more northern Hokkaido and only spend a day on the hill. Anywhere worth going is usually worth spending at least 2 - 3 days at.

Personally, I usually have a month off from mid-December to mid-January and I spend almost all my time in Hokkaido. I've also split my time between Hokkaido and Hakuba during that month and wasn't disappointed.

A lot of resorts aren't that accessible by shinkansen so I kind of think it would be a waste to get a really expensive rail pass. You also tend to lose money on those things if you spend a few days in one place (assuming that it's a pass that must be used on consequtive days) I'd do a bit more research on the travel costs because it's hard to imagine the benefit. Using the rail passes travelling between big cities is usually very cost effective though... As well, if you have a working visa in your passport you will find it difficult to use a rail pass as it's illegal to do so (although I've heard plenty of stories of people getting away with it... wink wink)

BTW domestic flights aren't really expensive. For example, Tokyo to Sapporo can be as cheap as 9,600Y. Something to think about. I think that even if you had a 21 day pass you'd find that you'll spend most of your time on the train if you hit up all the places you listed above.

Check airdo.com. As well, Both ANA and JAL have been offering great deals recently (10,000 - 14,000). I booked 2 separate one way flights from Haneda to Sapporo for 9,800Y and 9,600Y this winter. Obviously dates are important... flying too close to New Years will result in higher fares.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I would probably spend a week in the Hakuba area hitting up Goryu, 47, Tsugaike, Cortina etc. I'd spread 10 days over Myoko (Akakan/Onsen, Suginohara), Nozawa and Shiga Kogen depending on the conditions at the time. I'd spend the rest of my time in Hokkaido at Niseko, Rusutsu etc. Where I start would really depend on when my month started. If its from the end of December, I would start in Hokkaido. If the end of the season I would end in Hokkaido... and the middle of the season it wouldn't really matter. I'm the kind of person who prefers to really get into a place so I wouldn't go to all those far-away, out-of-the-way places in Tohoku or more northern Hokkaido and only spend a day on the hill. Anywhere worth going is usually worth spending at least 2 - 3 days at.

Personally, I usually have a month off from mid-December to mid-January and I spend almost all my time in Hokkaido. I've also split my time between Hokkaido and Hakuba during that month and wasn't disappointed.

A lot of resorts aren't that accessible by shinkansen so I kind of think it would be a waste to get a really expensive rail pass. You also tend to lose money on those things if you spend a few days in one place (assuming that it's a pass that must be used on consequtive days) I'd do a bit more research on the travel costs because it's hard to imagine the benefit. Using the rail passes travelling between big cities is usually very cost effective though... As well, if you have a working visa in your passport you will find it difficult to use a rail pass as it's illegal to do so (although I've heard plenty of stories of people getting away with it... wink wink)

Im in korea. Not only that, but near gwangju so much closer to busan than seoul. Flights Busan to tokyo are pretty pricey whilst the ferry is dirt cheap. So just going to nip across on the ferry to fukuoka, spend day 1 travelling to hamamatsu to see all my old friends. Then its probably a trek up to nagano to see some people at hakuba (and then myoko because suginohara i consider my home turf - i was there all last season :)). These are pretty much 1 day affairs. I did both last season way more than enough smile never managed to make it to nozawa in my first two years tough, i did see it from togari on my very first snowboarding mission though, so im itching to put that one to bed too smile Maybe 2 days there.

after that, i can nip to tokyo to see some more people, spend the night there, then early on venture to zao. Dot around there for 5 or 6 days before heading across to the Hokk and meeting my mates (who are there for the pre snow festival cheap weekend but ducking out to go play on niseko). Then itll be back home around the 8th or 9th, a day on a train to fukuoka then back on the ferry to busan just in time for students graduation on the 11th.

Literally, you couldnt use a rail pass more effectively smile Because i do have quite a lot to fit in, its pretty much worth it. Plus the whole three different areas things means i can have a few days break so i dont feel absolutely drained from three straight weeks boarding. Plus i wont be wasting accomodation cause when im not boarding ill be in cities visting mates smile Honshu is pretty much sorted. Really i dont know all that much about hokkaido and tohoku though. But once again, this thread isnt entirely about my plans, its an interesting question nevertheless smile Where would YOU go and what would YOU do? smile

Sounds like an interesting itinerary. Definitely too busy for me! But if the main goal isn't only boarding then I can understand why you want to get around so much. I can't really comment on taking the train in Tohoku or Hokkaido because I've always used airplanes and buses for those areas. I suppose since you lived here(?) then you would know a little about travel times. Hyperdia helps with that.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing how the trip goes so don't forget to make a trip report here!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Sounds like an interesting itinerary. Definitely too busy for me! But if the main goal isn't only boarding then I can understand why you want to get around so much. I can't really comment on taking the train in Tohoku or Hokkaido because I've always used airplanes and buses for those areas. I suppose since you lived here(?) then you would know a little about travel times. Hyperdia helps with that.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing how the trip goes so don't forget to make a trip report here!

Actually thats a good idea, but im frankly the worst writer youll ever come across. Maybe itll be good practice for me though smile Oh, and yeah, was living in hama for three years and then moved to suzaka for a year before heading back to the uk (hated it so got the first flight back to asia, which is why im now in korea.)

I always suggest to people to rent a car and do a Japan road trip. Ski resorts and buses/trains don't really mix too well. You miss out on to many first track mornings (unless you're travelling at night) and for myself at least I hate packing and unpacking. Your car IS your suitcase. Have you seen the Japanese snowboard movie series Car Danchi 1-4? These guys live in their vans and travel from resort to resort and sleep in the parking lots. Indeed with the ample amount of onsens and a nice heater with a long extension cord, you could spend a month quite comfortably. the ferry from Nigata to Otaru is only like 25,000yen with car and driver. If you look around you can find cheap rentals.

Originally Posted By: Black Diamond
do a Japan road trip.
thumbsup thumbsup
Great idea! And it's not only movie stars who sleep in carparks. I believe there's quite a tradition among regular Japanese and I've talked to a few gaijins who've done it the whole season.
Originally Posted By: Black Diamond
a nice heater with a long extension cord, you could spend a month quite comfortably.
Are you suggesting stealing electricity? Invest in a -15 sleeping bag and you should be ok. Apparently some vans have heaters you can run for a few hours without killing the battery. Might be worth buying a small 2nd hand van rather than rent.