I am interested in spending a couple of months in japan, have no plans as yet. Was wondering where u guys would recommend for someone to learn skiing/snowboarding, ideally with good nightlife as well, and as cheap as possible. Thanks for any help!

I would recommend you spend a bit of your own valuable time and research at least some basic stuff.

Here's some places on here you can do that:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com

And those colourful links at the top of the page are useful too.

Perhaps this one is a good starter:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/start-here.html

wave

Did you spend some time reading very similar threads on the first few pages of these Forums? Did you notice the Search function?

Did you read that intro page that provides links on this site to lots of places outlining popular places?

Did you notice where lots of accommodation is located?

Did you notice which places have daily reports?

Did you notice which towns have guides going on?

Did you look at the resort reviews to see which has lots of reviews and which people seem to like?

Actually, in fact, did you spend any time at all other than coming straight on here asking for everything?

Originally Posted By: dallyd
Japan has over 500 ski & snowboard 'resorts'.

I dont want to spend hours looking through them all, was just hoping someone could give recommendations of places they thought would suit me

Cool. You'll probably want a place with lots of night life, lots of bling that goes on and not so cold. Since you're from Thaliand like...

I'd suggest a loverly ski resort called, near Tokyo, possibly Naeba or somewhere in Yusawa, Gala maybe.

Good luck.

Only plans are to learn to snowboard and have a good time. Not really much of a city person no. Had a quick look at some info about yusawa, sounds pretty good.

Im guessing that for a couple of months it would be cheapest for me to try and buy some second hand gear? Could u give me a rough figure of how much u think this will cost?

I was also wondering whether not speaking japanese will be an issue at all?

Thanks for the help guys

Japan has over 500 ski & snowboard 'resorts'.

I dont want to spend hours looking through them all, was just hoping someone could give recommendations of places they thought would suit me

can understand what you mean but its not as if we are here just to dish out advice!! Have a wee look yourself at the main resorts and then you can have a better idea of what you want and then ask some tailored questions. Welcome though, hope you stick around
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Did you spend some time reading very similar threads on the first few pages of these Forums? Did you notice the Search function?

Did you read that intro page that provides links on this site to lots of places outlining popular places?

Did you notice where lots of accommodation is located?

Did you notice which places have daily reports?

Did you notice which towns have guides going on?

Did you look at the resort reviews to see which has lots of reviews and which people seem to like?

Actually, in fact, did you spend any time at all other than coming straight on here asking for everything?

rollabout C'mon, why bother looking up anything and having fun researching when you can just have somebody else tell you, right?

Myoko. WIthout a doubt thumbsup

The simple answer is Hakuba...cheap to get to from Tokyo, cheap to stay in, plenty of nightlife (at least by Japanese ski town standards) and lots of places to learn to board or ski.

dallyd - I do suggest you do your own research, especially if you've not been to Japan before. People on these boards are generally friendly, but we respect the efforts of SJ to put together a lot of useful information precisely to help people in your situation. Take a look at it, and if you then have more detailed questions, we'll be happy to assist.

Start with the Hakuba section.

SdS

Dunno .... The Good Lord helps those who help themselves.

If someone has worked out their own objectives and criteria, does a bit of reading, and then asks some informed questions then I'm prepared to help. Not otherwise. That's what Google was invented for, not to mention site maps and thread search functions.

By doing some simple reading up on the threads listed above, and the links at the top of the page, there is a wealth of information on this forum. You arent the first bloke to ask these questions, if you check back page after page there are similar questions being asked over and over.

If you want a decent night life, then you might want to check out Niseko and Hakuba, by far the two most popular regions in Japan, for both foreigners and Japanese because of what they both offer.

Most consistent dry powder would most likely be Niseko/Rusutsu, though I will continue to say that Shiga Kogen has the best. Dont believe what others say, Hakuba does have some of the best snow in Japan as well, though those who go there on specific days/trips etc might not have had as good as they have had in other places before. I have had crap snow up in Niseko as well, its just timing, right?

Find some specific questions to ask, and people will offer their 2 yen.

Fattwins, why dont you quit lurking and offer your knowledge then? You have some of the best knowledge of anybody around Shinshu. Quit lurking and offer it slap

Quote:
Im guessing that for a couple of months it would be cheapest for me to try and buy some second hand gear?

For a couple of months it would be cheaper for you to buy gear full stop. Never mind just second hand. Renting is expensive especially for long periods.

Snowboard's cool. Just need to get over the first few days falling down and self doubt.

check out the helmet thread, Mama bear list some protection gear that will help.

I would definitely have a helmet and wear volley ball knee and elbow pads. If you have the money, back protectors and arse pads help, too.

I agree with SKI. Anyways, make sure you get the right fit boots. Are you Thai ? then you won't have problems with size getting them in Japan. Make sure they are not loose fit, or too tight. Don't wear too thick socks (wear the ones you will use) do not double layer them. Boots are important. Fuss over it. Try lots of them so you know what is tight, loose, walk up and down stairs ...

I suppose the cheaper way to do it is backpacker style accommodation. For the first few weeks it probably doesn't matter how challenging the resort is other than it's a good place for beginners to learn. Search for a thread which recommends a good place for snowboard

beginners... Having said that, plenty of people have started from Yuzawa area, Shiga, Hakuba, Nozawa, etc, etc ...

Yeah like Jynxx said Make sure your boots fit well. I think amoung all ski gear, boots that fit really, really well is one of the most important. If your boots are unconfortable then even before you start skiing or boarding you are going to have a hard time!!!

Only plans are to learn to snowboard and have a good time. Not really much of a city person no. Had a quick look at some info about yusawa, sounds pretty good.
Im guessing that for a couple of months it would be cheapest for me to try and buy some second hand gear? Could u give me a rough figure of how much u think this will cost?
I was also wondering whether not speaking japanese will be an issue at all?

Thanks for the help guys

not speaking japanese will NOT be an issue at all. (It might be some ... but not at all) Japanese as kind enough to help stupid gaijin (like me) so surely it's not show stopper for you.

Btw, Living in Thailand, Are u Thai ? biggrin

You can buy 2nd hand gera at shops called Book Off/Hard Off. They have stores all over the Tokyo region. I recently picked up a Burton Custom Board for 6000 yen and an almost new pair of Flow Bindings for 4000 yen.

Some of the stuff is just crud though and it varies from shop to shop