THe flu has hit Yamanashi now quite hard it would seem, my daughters school will be closed tomorrow and friday, because quite a few in the 3rd and 4th years have got the flu! My daughter is ok at the moment, no cases in her year yet!

It is spreading all over the country / world, no end in site either!

Went to my Doc for another steroid injection into the dodgy shoulder today - he is going to Hak's in Feb, and is getting the Swine Flu vaccine himself - he is not a namby pamby, so if it is good enough for him then it is good enough for me.

I had a funny reaction to the injection this time - mouth, tongue and face went numb - so I had to hang around. And he took the time to come in and tell me he thought it would be wise for me to get the Swine Flu vaccine for all of us before coming over...

Originally Posted By: thursday
at the moment, I think the unknown side affects outweigh the preceived benefits. Dunno.

I would have agreed with you. But I trust this Doc. He is one of those guys who calls it as he see's it - and was not panicking (in fact laughing at the over reaction) to the swine flu outbreak here a month or two ago.

I asked him outright if he had it/was getting it. He said he hasnt yet, but will before he goes to Japan in February. Less about Japan and more about airports and airplanes - the breeding cess pools of bacteria that they are.

I had my vaccine today, the shot is no worse than the average flu shot, its free here and anyone can get one, as I am traveling to Japan next year to ski I figured it wise, who knows what germs are flaoting around an aircraft and in those heated hotels.

I personally am not concerned however I come into contact with many frail and disabled in my work so I feel the risk to them outways the risk to me, sometimes you need to consider the benneft to the community.

My doctor told me that now with my lung problem that if I even suspect I have swine flu to go straight to the nearest hospital. I guess now I will have to seriously consider getting a Swine Flu vaccine before we head off next year.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
My doctor told me that now with my lung problem that if I even suspect I have swine flu to go straight to the nearest hospital. I guess now I will have to seriously consider getting a Swine Flu vaccine before we head off next year.

thumbsup Yep. Do it!

yeah its finally hit my schools, 2 out of 3 6 grade classes were off yesterday (so I got 2 free periods...nice!!) and the other class was decimated, I think about 7 kids were off at the start of the day and 3 more fell by the wayside as the day progressed (2 while my class was going on!!)

Dunno.....1 kid I saw at the start of the day and by lunchtime I heard from the teachers that he'd gone home. The 2 in my class came in from the nurse, had masks on and sat with ther heads on ther desks, then they said to the teacher they were feeling sick and she sent them back to the nurse who then sent them home

My son had a sudden high fever and throat infection last night so we had to go to the emmergency clinic. What a hellish scene. Dozens of kids all with high fevers looking too lethargic to cry. Man it was a rough night! (hense my rude post on the Morrissey thread but I really do maintain that he and the Smiths totally suck!) Anyway, I hope we didn't bring back the swine flu from the hospital...

He should be fine. I just hope we didn't catch swine flu from the hospital. Any SJers have it? My sister in Canada has been down with it for the past few days. Regular flu-type symptoms with a dry cough. I don't like the dry cough part since I have mild asthma.

That does sound horrific to go to hospital in the middle of the night. Poor kids.

My baby came down with a belly bug a few weeks back and he was so weak, he'd be up trying to eat some stuff and then get up off his chair and walk to his room and climb into bed in a robotic sort of action.

If your kid is generally healthy, then just watch the fever go in a day or two. They should be ok. Pregnant mums are the high risk group.

Apparently I had it, but I'm lucky as I almost never get sick and most the symptoms were rather dull. Only thing that really sucked (compared to normal flu symptoms) was the nearly week-long fever that resulted in a few hallucinations later on. My friend in Nara had it as well, but he suffers from breathing problems and apparently that made it extra hard on him (though he recovered in less than a working week).

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been informed by my doctor that I need to have the Swine Flu Vaccine??

Is it still bad in Japan or dying down again??

If anyone has had the vaccine do you get sick after the vaccine??

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have always been pretty strong health wise and never had to worry about any of this.

It isn't "bad" in the sense that you are going to definitely going to catch it and die; however, like any virus, there is the chance that you might catch it. Just take regular, sensible precautions and you'll be fine.

I work with kids in a Japanese kindergarten, about 350 of the wee virus breeders, and whilst 50% of them have had the virus, as have about 30% of the Japanese teaching staff, I have been virus-free so far. Guess out f sheer luck.

yeah I'm the same, I work at Elementary schools........the kids are little germ factories!! Runny noses, dirty hands, trying to grab my food at lunchtime.....my immune system must be kick ass!!