Mine usually comes in around 1000 yen on a normal day.

Some people can spend more:

Quote:
Mystery last night surrounded a visit by Roman Abramovich to a New York restaurant and an amazing bill for £28,793.

The scene was Nello’s, one of the city’s premier Italian restaurants, whose owner has given full details of how the Chelsea owner, his girlfriend Dasha Zhukova, his son Arkady and three business associates drank some of the world’s finest wines and feasted on truffles, veal, seafood and pasta.

Restaurateur Nello Balan said: ‘When they started ordering, it was clear that excellence and perfection was on their agenda, rather than looking at the price.’

And a witness claimed Mr Abramovich didn’t flinch as he picked up the tab at the restaurant on Manhattan’s Upper East Side after a 79-minute lunch on Friday, but politely enquired if service was included. It was – all £4,468 of it.

Really, that's just obscene isn't it.

[He's the Russian owner of Chelsea FC btw]

during the off season there is some good deals to be had for lunch in niseko.

The other week I had a 4 course french lunch for only 1500yen.!!!

How they can make money is beyond me.

Originally Posted By: stemik
during the off season there is some good deals to be had for lunch in niseko.
The other week I had a 4 course french lunch for only 1500yen.!!!
How they can make money is beyond me.

In Niseko? Cool.

I bet they make money by the courses consisting of a small tiny weeny piece of fish, 1 chip and a few peas with the dessert being a one-mouth(not)ful of cake... all nicely arranged to look suitably arty of course.
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Mine usually comes in around 1000 yen on a normal day.

Some people can spend more:

Quote:
Mystery last night surrounded a visit by Roman Abramovich to a New York restaurant and an amazing bill for £28,793.

The scene was Nello’s, one of the city’s premier Italian restaurants, whose owner has given full details of how the Chelsea owner, his girlfriend Dasha Zhukova, his son Arkady and three business associates drank some of the world’s finest wines and feasted on truffles, veal, seafood and pasta.

Restaurateur Nello Balan said: ‘When they started ordering, it was clear that excellence and perfection was on their agenda, rather than looking at the price.’

And a witness claimed Mr Abramovich didn’t flinch as he picked up the tab at the restaurant on Manhattan’s Upper East Side after a 79-minute lunch on Friday, but politely enquired if service was included. It was – all £4,468 of it.

Really, that's just obscene isn't it.

[He's the Russian owner of Chelsea FC btw]

If you've got more money than you can spend, then it's just a normal lunch for him.

Similar artivcle a coupla years back. I read there was this Czech business man had dinner, opened some of the best wine the restaurant had, found the white a bbit too young, and gave it to the staff to enjoy. It was like a US$6000 bottle.

His bill in the end came to something like US$63,000. Read it in one of the UK broadsheets online.

About ten years ago, I used to eat some great ones in Osaka. I used to borrow the company bicycle so I had hundreds of places to choose from in Umeda. Even Ten-roku was in range. Fantastic food usually for about 1000. Happy days.

Now I eat at home pretty much every day. This time of year its often outside. We don't have any shade (yet), so its too hot in summer.

In the offseason, the Indian in Hakuba is well cheap. They hang a sign outside saying "lunch" when the special deal is on. You can see it from the Olympic Road and keep on driving if its full price.

They do a really great Naan cooked in a tandoor. Better than many I had on the Curry Mile in me student days. The curries are pretty good too, but typical "Indian in Japan" prices normally. The lunch is 800 yen, but only in offseason.

The chef is from Nepal I think. Nice views of Happo. You'd have seen snow there earlier today when the clouds pulled back. Snowing down to 1100, or maybe even a tad lower.

what is an Indian curry like in Japan? Is it all mellowed out and not spicey like it is in like...India.

The Indian restuarants in HK cater for a lot of Indians. You can be sure they're authentic if you go to the real slum building ones where lots of Indians hang out.

I find curries to be not so great here, no chilli and too samey. I like Dahl, aloo gobi and vegetarian stuff like that which you don't often see here. Its always just 'chicken curry' or 'seafood curry' made with the frozen mixed rubbery seafood.

I also like Goan curry (like pork vindaloo) which is tough to find anywhere outside Goa.

They do a quite good palak paneer. I think you're right about generic curries like "seafood" and "vegetable". They tend to be any old rubbish out the freezer.

Unfortunately they don't do lamb any more.

The best Indian food I had in Japan was at Gaylords in Kobe. Second best was the place in the Maru biru in Umeda where I used to go for lunchtimes. They did an amazing kulfi. Court Lodge the Sri Lankan place in Kitashinchi does the best chai. They throw it in the air between two cups. Its something to behold. Back in the days before downloading, they used to lend me and my mates videos of the cricket.

Will have a look for that Gaylords now I am in Kobe. I know a decent cheap and cheerful one in kitano but the menu is limited.

Palak Paneer is one of those dishes that can be be amazing or complete crap, I guess it is like salsa - you can judge the restaurant on it.